- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Numerical analysis of steel-soil composite (SSC) culvert under static loads
- Beben, Damian (Opole University of Technology, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture) ;
- Wrzeciono, Michal (Opole University of Technology, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture)
- Received : 2017.01.11
- Accepted : 2017.02.24
- Published : 2017.04.30
The paper presents a numerical analysis of a steel-soil composite (SSC) culvert in the scope of static (dead and live) loads. The Abaqus program based on the finite element method (FEM) was used for calculations. Maximum displacements were obtained in the shell crown, and the largest stresses in the haunches. Calculation results were compared with the experimental ones and previous calculations obtained from the Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis (ARSA) program. The shapes of calculated displacements and stresses are similar to those obtained with the experiment, but the absolute values were generally higher than measured ones. The relative differences of calculated and measured values were in the range of 5-23% for displacements, and 15-42% for stresses. Developed calculation model of the SSC culvert in the Abaqus program allows obtaining reasonable values of internal forces in the culvert. Using both calculation programs, the relative differences for displacements were in the range of 15-39%, and 17-44% for stresses in favour of the Abaqus program. Three design methods (Sundquist-Pettersson, Duncan and CHBDC) were used to calculate the axial thrusts and bending moments. Obtained values were compared with test results. Generally, the design methods have conservative assumptions, especially in the live loads distribution, safety factors and consideration the interaction between soil and steel structure.
steel-soil composite culvert;FE model;displacement;stress;live loads;backfill
- ABAQUS (2011), Abaqus Theroy Manual; ABAQUS 6.11, Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp, USA.
- Beben, D. (2012), "Numerical study of performance of soil-steel bridge during soil backfilling", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 42(4), 571-587. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.42.4.571
- Beben, D. (2013a), "Experimental study on dynamic impacts of service train loads on a corrugated steel plate culvert", J. Bridge Eng., 18(4), 339-346. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000395
- Beben, D. (2013b), "Field performance of corrugated steel plate road culvert under normal live load conditions", J. Perform. Constr. Fac., 27(6), 807-817. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000389
- Beben, D. (2014), "Corrugated steel plate (CSP) culvert response to service train loads", J. Perform. Constr. Fac., 28(2), 376-390. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000422
- Beben, D. and Stryczek, A. (2016), "Numerical analysis of corrugated steel plate bridge with reinforced concrete relieving slab", J. Civ. Eng. Manag., 22(5), 585-596.
- CHBDC (2006), Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code. CAN/CSA-S6-06, Canadian Standards Association International, Mississauga, ON, Canada.
- Chen, X., Bai, Z., Zeng, Y., Jiang, R. and Au, F.T.K. (2016), "Prestressed concrete bridges with corrugated steel webs: Nonlinear analysis and experimental investigation", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(5), 1045-1067. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.5.1045
- Cheng, J. and Liu, X. (2012), "Reliability analysis of steel cablestayed bridges including soil-pile interaction", Steel Comp. Struct., 13(2), 109-122. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.13.2.109
- Duncan, J.M., Byrne, P., Wong, K.S. and Mabry, P. (1980), "Strength, Stress-Strain and Bulk Modulus Parameters for Finite Element Analyses of Stresses and Movements in Soil Masses", Research Report No. UCB/GT/80-01; College of Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Elshimi, T.M. (2011), "Three-dimensional nonlinear analysis of deep-corrugated steel culverts", Ph.D. Dissertation; Queen's University Kingston, ON, Canada.
- Flener, E.B. (2010), "Testing the response of box-type soil-steel structures under static service loads", J. Bridge Eng., 15(1), 90-97.
- Janusz, L. and Madaj, A. (2009), Engineering Structures from Corrugated Plates: Design and Construction, Transport and Communication Publishers, Warsaw, Poland.
- Kunecki, B. (2014), "Field test and three-dimensional numerical analysis of soil-steel tunnel during backfilling", Transportation Research Record: J. Transportation Research Board, 2462, 55-60. https://doi.org/10.3141/2462-07
- Machelski, Cz. (2008), Modeling of Soil-Shell Bridge Structures, The Lower Silesian Educational Publishers, Wroclaw, Poland.
- Mai, V.T., Moore, I.D. and Hoult, N.A. (2014), "Performance of two-dimensional analysis: Deteriorated metal culverts under surface live load", Tunn. Undergr. Sp. Tech., 42, 152-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2014.02.015
- Manko, Z. and Beben, D. (2005), "Tests during three stages of construction of a road bridge with a flexible load-carrying structure made of Super Cor type steel corrugated plates interacting with soil", J. Bridge Eng., 10(5), 570-591. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2005)10:5(570)
- Mellat, P., Andersson, A., Pettersson, L. and Karoumi, R. (2014), "Dynamic behaviour of a short span soil-steel composite bridge for high-speed railways-Field measurements and FE-analysis", Eng. Struct., 69, 49-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.03.004
- Nie, J., Zhu, Y., Tao, M., Guo, C. and Li, Y. (2016), "Optimized prestressed continuous composite girder bridges with corrugated steel webs", J. Bridge Eng. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1061/(asce)be.1943-5592.0000995 https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)be.1943-5592.0000995
- Pettersson, L. and Sundquist, H. (2014), Design of Soil Steel Composite Bridges, (5th Edition), TRITA-BKN: Stockholm, Sweden.
- PN-EN 10149-2:2014-02 (2014), Flat Products Hot Rolled with Steels on High Yield Strength for Cold Forming. Part 2: Technical Delivery Conditions for Thermomechanically Rolled Products, Polish Committee of Standardization, Warsaw, Poland.
- Sargand, S., Masada, T. and Moreland, A. (2008), "Measured field performance and computer analysis of large-diameter multiplate steel pipe culvert installed in Ohio", J. Perform. Constr. Fac., 22(6), 391-397. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(2008)22:6(391)
- Skrzat, A. (2010), The Modeling of Linear and Nonlinear Problems of Mechanics of Deformable Body and Heat Transfer in the ABAQUS, Rzeszow University of Technology Publishing House, Rzeszow, Poland.
- Xu, D., Ni, Y. and Zhao, Y. (2015), "Analysis of corrugated steel web beam bridges using spatial grid modelling", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 18(4), 853-871. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.4.853
- Yeau, K.Y. and Sezen, H. (2012), "Load-rating procedures and performance evaluation of metal culverts", J. Bridge Eng., 17(1), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000213
- Yeau, K.Y., Sezen, H. and Fox, P.J. (2015), "Simulation of behavior of in-service metal culverts", J. Pipeline Syst. Eng. Practice, 5(2), 1009-1016.