- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A new stability and sensitivity design and diagnosis approach
- Sari, Ali (Istanbul Technical University, Civil Engineering Department) ;
- Korkmaz, Kasim A. (Eastern Michigan University, School of Visual and Built Environments)
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2017.02.21
- Published : 2017.04.30
In the stability and sensitivity design and diagnosis approaches, there are various methodologies available. Bond graph modeling by lumping technique is one of the universal methodologies in methodical analysis used by many researchers in all over the world. The accuracy of the method is validated in different arenas. Bond graphs are a concise, pictorial representation of the energy storage, dissipation and exchange mechanisms of interacting dynamic systems, subsystems and components. This paper proposes a bond graph modeling for distributed parameter systems using lumping techniques. Therefore, a steel frame structure was modeled to analyze employing bond graph modeling of distributed system using lumping technique. In the analytical part, the effectiveness of bond graphs to model this system is demonstrated. The dynamic responses of the system were computed and compared with those computed from the finite element analysis. The calculated maximum deflection time histories were found to be comparable. The sensitivity and the stability of the steel frame structure was also studied in different aspects. Thus, the proposed methodology, with its simplicity, can be used for stability and sensitivity analyses as alternative to finite element method for steel structures. The major value brought in the practical design is the simplicity of the proposed method for steel structures.
bond graph modeling;lumping techniques;steel structures;stability;sensitivity
- ASCE (1997), Design of Blast-Resistant Buildings in Petrochemical Facilities; ASCE Task Committee on Blast Resistant Design, New York, NY, USA.
- Banerjee, N., Saha, A.K., Karmakar, R. and Bhattacharyya, R. (2009), "Bond graph modeling of a railway truck on curved track", Simul. Model. Practice Theory, 17(1), 22-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2008.02.001
- Behzadipour, S. and Khajepour, A. (2006), "Causality in vector bond graphs and its application to modeling of multi-body dynamic systems", Simul. Model. Practice Theory, 14(3), 279-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2005.06.001
- Borutzky, W. (2012a), "Bond-graph-based fault detection and isolation for hybrid system models", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: J. Syst. Control Eng., 226(6), 742-760.
- Borutzky, W. (2012b), "Bond graph modelling and simulation of fault scenarios in switched power electronic systems", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: J. Syst. Control Eng., 226(10), 1381-1393.
- Gawthrop, P.J., Wallace, M.I. and Wagg, D.J. (2005), "Bond-graph based substructuring of dynamical systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(6), 687-703.
- He, B., Hou, S. and Song, W. (2015), "Integrating engineering design and analysis using a parameter constraint graph approach", Simulation, 91(7), 625-647. https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549715589609
- Hroncova, D., Sarga, P. and Gmiterko, A. (2012), "Simulation of mechanical system with two degrees of freedom with Bond Graphs and MATLAB/Simulink", Procedia Engineering, 48, 223-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.09.508
- Karnopp, D.C., Margolis, D.L. and Rosenberg, R.C. (1990), System Dynamics: A Unified Approach, (Second Edition), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- Khalil, H.K. (2002), Nonlinear Systems, (3rd Edition), Prentice Hall, NJ, USA.
- Loureiro, R., Merzouki, R. and Bouamama, B.O. (2012), "Bond graph model based on structural diagnosability and recoverability analysis: Application to intelligent autonomous vehicles", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 61(3), 986-997. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2186472
- Margetts, R., Ngwompo, R.F. and Cruz, M.F. (2013), "Construction and analysis of causally dynamic hybrid bond graphs", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: J. Syst. Control Eng., 227(3), 329-346.
- Margolis, D.L. (1980), "Dynamical models for multidimensional structures using bond graphs", ASME J. Dyn. Syst. Measur. Control, 102(3), 180-187. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3139631
- Margolis, D.L. (1985), "A survey of bond graph modeling for interacting lumped and distributed systems", J. Franklin Inst., 319(1-2), 125-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-0032(85)90069-9
- Moustafa, A., Daigle, M., Roychoudhury, I., Shantz, C., Biswas, G., Mahadevan, S. and Koutsoukos, X. (2007), "Fault diagnosis of civil engineering structures using the bond graph approach", Proceedings of the International Conferences on Bond Graph Modeling (ICBGM 2007), Nashville, TN, USA, January.
- Moustafa, A., Mahadevan, S., Daigle, M. and Biswas, G. (2010), "Structural and sensor damage identification using the bond graph approach", Struct. Control Health Monitor., 17(2), 178-197. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.285
- Orlikowski, C. and Hein, R. (2011), "Modelling and analysis of beam/bar structure by application of bond graphs", J. Theor. Appl. Mech., 49(4), 1003-1017.
- Orlikowski, C., Hein, R. and Cyran, R. (2009), "Computational algorithm for the analysis of mechatronic systems with distributed parameter elements", Projektowanie Mechatroniczne. Zagadnienia wybrane, Kat. Robotyki i Mechatroniki AGH, Krakow, Wydawnictwo Instytutu Technologii Eksploatacji Panstwowego Instytutu Badawczego (PiB), Radom.
- Rahal, M.I., Bouamamam, B.O. and Meghebbar, A. (2016), "Hybrid bond graph model based for robust fault detection and isolation", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: J. Syst. Control Eng., 230(2), 145-163. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954411915621342
- Sabuwala, T., Linzell, D. and Krauthammer, T. (2005), "Finite element analysis of steel beam to column connections subjected to blast loads", Int. J. Impact Eng., 31(7), 861-876. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2004.04.013
- Samantaray, A.K., Medjaher, K., Ould Bouamama, B., Staroswiecki, M. and Dauphin-Tanguy, G. (2006), "Diagnostic bond graphs for online fault detection and isolation", Simul. Model. Practice Theory, 14(3), 237-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2005.05.003
- TM5-1300 (1990), Structures to Resist the Effects of Accidental Explosions; Department of the Army Technical Manual, Washington D.C., USA.
- Tsai, J.J.-H. and Gero, J.S. (2010), "A qualitative energy-based unified representation for buildings", Automation Constr., 19(1), 20-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2009.07.007