- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of circular steel tube confined UHPC stub columns
- Hoang, An Le (Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Institute of Structural Engineering, University of Kassel) ;
- Fehling, Ekkehard (Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Institute of Structural Engineering, University of Kassel)
- Received : 2016.06.13
- Accepted : 2017.02.20
- Published : 2017.04.30
The use of ultra high performance concrete (UHPC) in composite columns offers numerous structural benefits, and has received recent research attention. However, the information regarding the behavior of steel tube confined concrete (STCC) columns employing UHPC has been extremely limited. Thus, this paper presents an overview of previous experimental studies on circular STCC columns with taking into account various concrete strengths to point out their distinctive features. The effect of the confinement factor and the diameter to thickness ratio on both strength and ductility in circular STCC columns employing UHPC was investigated. The applicability of current design codes such as EC4, AISC, AIJ and some available analytical models for concrete confined by steel tube was also validated by the comparison of ultimate loads between the prediction and the test results of Schneider (2006) and Xiong (2012). To predict the stress-strain curves for confined UHPC in circular STCC stub columns, a simplified model was proposed and verified by the comparison with experimental stress-strain curves.
UHPC;STCC columns;confinement factor;strength;ductility;concrete filled steel tube
Grant : Behavior of circular steel tube confined UHPC and UHPFRC columns
Supported by : University of Kassel
- American Institute of Steel Construction (ANSI/AISC 360-10) (2010), Specification for Structural Steel Buildings; An American National Standard.
- Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ) (2001), Recommendation for design and construction of concrete filled steel tubular structures; Japan. [In Japanese]
- Binici, B. (2005), "An analytical model for stress-strain behavior of confined concrete", Eng. Struct., 27(7), 1040-1051. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.03.002
- Chu, K. (2014), "Axial load behaviour of steel tube columns infilled with various high-performance concretes", Master Thesis; Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- De Oliveira, W.L.A., De Nardin, S., De Cresce El Debs, A.L.H. and El Debs, M.K. (2009), "Influence of concrete strength and length/diameter on the axial capacity of CFT columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(12), 2103-2110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.07.004
- De Oliveira, W.L.A., De Nardin, S., De Cresce El Debs, A.L.H. and El Debs, M.K. (2010), "Evaluation of passive confinement in CFT columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66(4), 487-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.11.004
- Eurocode 4 (2004), Design of composite steel and concrete structures; Part 1.1, General rules and rules for Building, BS EN 1994-1-1; British Standards Institution, London, UK.
- Fam, A., Qie, F.S. and Rizkalla, S. (2004), "Concrete-filled steel tubes subjected to axial compression and lateral cyclic loads", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130(4), 631-640. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:4(631)
- Fehling, E., Schmidt, M., Walraven, J., Leutbecher, T. and Frohlich, S. (2014), Ultra-High Performance Concrete: Fundamental-Design-Example; Wilhelm Ernst & Sohn, Verlag fur Architektur und technische Wissenschaften GmbH & Co. KG, Rotherstrasse 21, 10245 Berlin, Germany.
- Guler, S., Aydogan, M. and Copur, A. (2013), Axial Capacity and Ductility of Circular UHPC-filled Steel Tube Columns, Magazine of Concrete Research, February.
- Han, L.H., Yao, G.H., Chen, Z.P. and Yu, Q. (2005), "Experimental behavior of steel tube confined concrete (STCC) columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 5(6), 459-84. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2005.5.6.459
- Han, L.H., Li, W. and Bjorhovde, R. (2014), "Development and advanced applications of concrete-filled steel tubular (CFST) structures: members", J. Constr. Steel Res., 100, 211-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.04.016
- Hatzigeorgiou, G.D. (2008), "Numerical model for the behavior and capacity of circular CFT columns, Part I: Theory", Eng. Struct., 30(6), 1573-1578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.11.001
- Johansson, M. (2002), "The efficiency of passive confinement in CFT columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 2(5), 379-396. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2002.2.5.379
- Johansson, M. and Gylltoft, K. (2001), "Structural behavior of slender circular steel-concrete composite columns under various means of load application", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 1(4), 393-410. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2001.1.4.393
- Johansson, M. and Gylltoft, K. (2002), "Mechanical behavior of circular steel-concrete composite stub columns", J. Struct Eng., ASCE, 128(8), 1073-1081. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:8(1073)
- Liang, Q.Q. and Fragomeni, S. (2009), "Nonlinear analysis of circular concrete-filled steel tubular short columns under axial loading", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(12), 2186-2196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.06.015
- Liew, J.Y.R. and Xiong, D.X. (2010), "Experimental investigation on tubular columns infilled with ultra-high strength concrete", Tubular Structures XIII, The University of Hong Kong, pp. 637-645.
- Liew, J.Y.R. and Xiong, D.X. (2012), "Ultra-high strength concrete filled composite columns for multi-storey building construction", Adv. Struct. Eng., 15(9), 1487-1503. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43188.8.131.527
- Liew, J.Y.R. and Xiong, M.X. (2015), "Design Guide For Concrete Filled Tubular Members With High Strength Materials to Eurocode 4", Research Publishing, Blk 12 Lorong Bakar Batu, 349568 Singapore.
- Liew, J.Y.R., Xiong, M.X. and Xiong, D.X. (2014), "Design of high strength concrete filled tubular columns for tall buildings", Int. J. High-Rise Building, 3(3), 215-221.
- O'Shea, M.D. and Bridge, R.Q. (1997a), "Test on circular thinwalled steel tubes filled with medium and high strength concrete", Department of Civil Engineering Research Report No. R755; The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- O'Shea, M.D. and Bridge, R.Q. (1997b), "Test on circular thinwalled steel tubes filled with very high strength concrete", Department of Civil Engineering Research Report No. R754; The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- O'Shea, M.D. and Bridge, R.Q. (2000), "Design of circular thinwalled concrete filled steel tubes", J. Struct Eng., ASCE, 126(11), 1295-1303. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:11(1295)
- Orito, Y., Sato, Y., Tanaka, N. and Watanabe, K. (1987), "Study on the unbonded steel tube concrete structure", Proceedings of Engineering Foundation Conference on Composite Constructions, Henniker, NH, USA, June, pp. 786-804.
- Sakino, K., Tomii, M. and Watanabe, K. (1985), "Sustaining load capacity of plain concrete stub columns confined by circular steel tubes", Proceedings of the International Specialty Conference on Concrete-Filled Steel Tubular Structures, ASCCS, Harbin, China, August, pp. 112-118.
- Sakino, K., Nakahara, H. Morino, S. and Nishiyama, I. (2004), "Behavior of centrally loaded concrete-filled steel-tube short columns", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130(2), 180-188. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:2(180)
- Samani, A.K. and Altard, M.M. (2012), "A stress-strain model for uniaxial and confined concrete under compression", Eng. Struct., 41, 335-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.027
- Schmidt, M. and Fehling, E. (2005), "Ultra-high-performance concrete: research, development and application in europe", ACI Struct. J. Special Publication, 228, 51-78.
- Schneider, S.P. (1998), "Axially loaded concrete-filled steel tubes", J. Struct Eng., ASCE, 124(10), 1125-1138. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:10(1125)
- Schneider, H. (2006), "Zum tragverhalten kurzer, umschnurter, kreisformiger, druckglieder aus ungefasertem UHFB", Ph.D. Dissertation; University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany.
- Susantha, K.A.S., Ge, H. and Usami, T. (2001), "Uniaxial stressstrain relationship of concrete confined by various shaped steel tubes", Eng. Struct., 23(10), 1331-1347. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00020-7
- Tao, Z., Wang, Z.B. and Yu, Q. (2013), "Finite element modelling of concrete filled steel stub columns under axial compression", J. Constr. Steel Res., 89, 121-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.07.001
- Tomii, M., Sakino, K., Watanabe, K. and Xiao, Y. (1985), "Lateral load capacity of reinforced concrete short columns confined by steel tube", Proceedings of the International Specialty Conference on Concrete Filled Steel Tubular Structures, ASCCS, Harbin, China, August, pp. 19-26.
- Tue, N.V., Schneider, H., Simsch, G. and Schmidt, D. (2004a), "Bearing capacity of stub columns made of NSC, HSC and UHPC confined by a steel tube", Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Ultra High Performance Concrete, Kassel, Germany, March, pp. 339-350.
- Tue, N.V., Kuchler, M., Schenck, G. and Jurgen, R. (2004b), "Application of UHPC filled tubes in buildings and bridges", Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Ultra High Performance Concrete, Kassel, Germany, March, pp. 807-817.
- Xiong, D.X. (2012), "Structural behaviour of concrete filled steel tube with high strength materials", Ph.D. Dissertation; National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Yan, P.Y. and Feng, J.W. (2008), "Mechanical behavior of UHPC and UHPC filled steel tubular stub columns", Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Ultra High Performance Concrete, Kassel, Germany, March, pp. 355-362.
- Yu, Q., Tao, Z., Liu, W. and Chen, Z.B. (2010), "Analysis and calculations of steel tube confined concrete (STCC) stub columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66(1), 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.08.003
- Zhong, S.T. and Miao, R.Y. (1988), "Stress-strain relationship and strength of concrete filled tubes", Proceedings of Engineering Foundation Conference on Composite Constructions, Henniker, NH, USA, June, pp. 773-785.