- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental investigation for failure analysis of steel beams with web openings
- Morkhade, Samadhan G. (Department of Applied Mechanics, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology) ;
- Gupta, Laxmikant M. (Department of Applied Mechanics, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2015.09.24
- Accepted : 2017.02.17
- Published : 2017.04.30
This paper presents an experimental study on the behaviour of steel beams with different types of web openings. Steel beams with web openings became progressively more accepted as a well-organized structural form in steel construction since their existence. Their complicated design and profiling method provides better flexibility in beam proportioning for strength, depth, size and location of holes. The objective of this study is to carry out the experiments on steel beams with different types of web openings and performed non-linear finite element (FE) analysis of the beams that were considered in the experimental study in order to determine their ultimate load capacity and failure modes for comparison. Ten full scale models of steel beam with web openings have been tested in the experimental investigation. The finite element method has been used to predict their entire response to increasing values of external loading until they lose their load carrying capacity. FE model of each specimen that is utilized in the experimental studies is carried out. These models are used to simulate the experimental work to verify test results and to investigate the nonlinear behaviour of failure modes such as local buckling, lateral torsional buckling, web-post buckling, shear buckling and Vierendeel bending of beams.
experimental study;steel beams with web openings;non-linear finite element analysis;failure modes;web post buckling
- ANSYS (2009), Version 12.0, Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA.
- Bayramoglu, G. (2012), "Reliability analysis of tested steel Ibeams with web openings", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 41(5), 575-589. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.5.575
- Chung, K.F., Liu, C.H. and Ko, A.C.H. (2003), "Steel beams with large web openings of various shapes and sizes: An empirical design method using a generalized moment-shear interaction curve", J. Constr. Steel Res., 59(9), 1177-1200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00029-4
- Coull, A. and Alvarez, M.C. (1980), "Effect of openings on lateral buckling of beams", J. Struct. Division, 106(12), 25532560.
- Durif, S., Bouchair, A. and Bacconnet, C. (2015), "Elastic rotational restraint of web-post in cellular beams with sinusoidal openings", Steel. Compos. Struct., Int. J., 18(2), 325-344. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.2.325
- Erdal, F. (2015), "The comparative analysis of optimal designed web expanded beams via improved harmony search method", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 54(4), 665-691. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.54.4.665
- Kerdal, D. and Nethercot, D.A. (1984), "Failure modes for castellated beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 4(4), 295-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(84)90004-X
- Kiymaz, G., Coskun, E., Cosgun, C. and Seckin, E. (2010), "Transverse load carrying capacity of sinusoidally corrugated steel web beams with web openings", Steel. Compos. Struct., Int. J., 10(1), 69-85. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2010.10.1.069
- Mohebkhah, A. (2004), "The moment-gradient factor in lateral torsional buckling on inelastic castellated beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 60(10), 1481-1494. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.02.002
- Morkhade, S.G. and Gupta, L.M. (2015), "An experimental and parametric study on steel beams with web openings", Int. J. Adv. Str. Eng., 7(3), 249-260. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40091-015-0095-4
- Nethercot, D.A. and Kerdal, D. (1982), "Lateral torsional buckling of castellated beams", J. Struct. Eng., 60B(3), 5361.
- Redwood, R.G. and Uenoya, M. (1979), "Critical loads for webs with holes", J. Struct. Division, 105 (10), 20532067.
- Shanmugam, N.E. and Thevendran, V. (1992), "Critical loads of thin-walled beams containing web openings", Thin-Wall. Struct., 14(4), 291-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(92)90037-W
- Sweedan, A. (2011), "Elastic lateral stability of I-shaped cellular steel beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(2), 151-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.08.009
- Thevendran, V. and Shanmugam, N.E. (1991), "Lateral buckling of doubly symmetric beams containing openings", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 117(7), 1427-1441. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1991)117:7(1427)
- Tsavdaridis, K.D. and D'Mello, C. (2011), "Web buckling study of the behaviour and strength of perforated steel beams with different novel web opening shapes", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(10), 1605-1620. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.04.004
- Tsavdaridis, K.D. and D'Mello, C. (2012), "Vierendeel bending study of perforated steel beams with various novel web opening shapes through nonlinear finite element analyses", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 138(10), 1214-1230. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000562
- Verwij, J. (2010), "Cellular beam-columns in portal frame structures", Master Thesis; TU Delft, Netherlands.