- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Buckling of sandwich plates with FG-CNT-reinforced layers resting on orthotropic elastic medium using Reddy plate theory
- Shokravi, Maryam (Buein Zahra Technical University)
- Received : 2016.10.19
- Accepted : 2017.02.14
- Published : 2017.04.30
Present paper deals with the temperature-dependent buckling analysis of sandwich nanocomposite plates resting on elastic medium subjected to magnetic field. The lamina layers are reinforced with carbon nanotubes (CNTs) as uniform and functionally graded (FG). The elastic medium is considered as orthotropic Pasternak foundation with considering the effects of thermal loading on the spring and shear constants of medium. Mixture rule is utilized for obtaining the effective material properties of each layer. Adopting the Reddy shear deformation plate theory, the governing equations are derived based on energy method and Hamilton's principle. The buckling load of the structure is calculated with the Navier's method for the simply supported sandwich nanocomposite plates. Parametric study is conducted on the combined effects of the volume percent and distribution types of the CNTs, temperature change, elastic medium, magnetic field and geometrical parameters of the plates on the buckling load of the sandwich structure. The results show that FGX distribution of the CNTs leads to higher stiffness and consequently higher buckling load. In addition, considering the magnetic field increases the buckling load of the sandwich nanocomposite plate.
buckling of sandwich nanocomposite plates;magnetic field;FG-CNT;temperature-dependent;Reddy shear deformation plate theory
- Afsharmanesh, B., Ghaheri, A. and Taheri-Behrooz, F. (2014), "Buckling and vibration of laminated composite circular plate on Winkler-type foundation", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.1.001
- Akhavan, H., Hosseini Hashemi, Sh., Rokni Damavandi Taher, H., Alibeigloo, A. and Vahabi, Sh. (2009), "Exact solutions for rectangular Mindlin plates under in-plane loads resting on Pasternak elastic foundation. Part I: Buckling analysis", Comput. Mat. Sci., 44(3), 968-978. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2008.07.004
- Chen, Ch.Sh., Tsai, T.Ch., Chen, W.R. and Wei, Ch.L. (2013), "Dynamic stability analysis of laminated composite plates in thermal environments", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 15(1), 57-79. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.15.1.57
- Dash, P. and Singh, B.N. (2012), "Buckling and post-buckling of laminated composite plates", Mech. Res. Commun., 46, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2012.08.002
- Gupta, S.S., Patel, B.P. and Ganapathi, M. (2003), "Nonlinear dynamic buckling of laminated angle-ply composite spherical caps", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 15(4), 463-476. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2003.15.4.463
- Javed, S., Viswanathan, K.K., Aziz, Z.A., Karthik, K. and Lee, J.H. (2016), "Vibration of antisymmetric angle-ply laminated plates under higher order shear theory", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 22(6), 1281-1299. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.6.1281
- Kiani, Y. (2016), "Buckling of FG-CNT-reinforced composite plates subjected to parabolic loading", Acta Mech., 1-17.
- Kolahchi, R., Rabani Bidgoli, M., Beygipoor, Gh. and Fakhar, M.H. (2015), "A nonlocal nonlinear analysis for buckling in embedded FG-SWCNT-reinforced microplates subjected to magnetic field", J. Mech. Sci. Tech., 29(9), 3669-3677. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-015-0811-9
- Kolahchi, R., Safari, M. and Esmailpour, M. (2016a), "Dynamic stability analysis of temperature-dependent functionally graded CNT-reinforced visco-plates resting on orthotropic elastomeric medium", Compos. Struct., 150, 255-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.05.023
- Kolahchi, R., Hosseini, H. and Esmailpour, M. (2016b), "Differential cubature and quadrature-Bolotin methods for dynamic stability of embedded piezoelectric nanoplates based on visco-nonlocal-piezoelasticity theories", Compos. Struct., 157, 174-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.08.032
- Kolahchi, R., Zarei, M.Sh., Hajmohammad, M.H. and Naddaf Oskouei, A. (2017), "Visco-nonlocal-refined Zigzag theories for dynamic buckling of laminated nanoplates using differential cubature-Bolotin methods", Thin-Wall. Struct., 113, 162-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2017.01.016
- Lee, S.Y. and Park, D.Y. (2007), "Buckling analysis of laminated composite plates containing delaminations using the enhanced assumed strain solid element", Int. J. Solids Struct., 44(24), 8006-8027. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2007.05.023
- Lei, Z.X., Zhang, L.W. and Liew, K.M. (2016a), "Vibration of FGCNT reinforced composite thick quadrilateral plates resting on Pasternak foundations", Eng, Anal, Bound. Elem., 64, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enganabound.2015.11.014
- Lei, Z.X., Zhang, L.W. and Liew, K.M. (2016b), "Buckling of FGCNT reinforced composite thick skew plates resting on Pasternak foundations based on an element-free approach", Appl. Math. Comput., 266, 773-791.
- Madani, H., Hosseini, H. and Shokravi, M. (2016), "Differential cubature method for vibration analysis of embedded FG-CNTreinforced piezoelectric cylindrical shells subjected to uniform and non-uniform temperature distributions", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 22(4), 889-913. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.4.889
- Mayandi, K. and Jeyaraj, P. (2015), "Bending, buckling and free vibration characteristics of FG-CNT-reinforced polymer composite beam under non-uniform thermal load", Proceed. Inst. Mech. Eng., Part L, 229(1), 13-28. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405414553069
- Norouzi, H. and Younesian, D. (2016), "Nonlinear vibration of laminated composite plates subjected to subsonic flow and external loads", Steel Compos. Struct, Int. J.., 22(6), 1261-1280. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.6.1261
- Reddy, J.N. (1984), "A simple higher order theory for laminated composite plates", J. Appl. Mech., 51(4), 745-752. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3167719
- Singh, S.K. and Chakrabarti, A, (2012), "Buckling analysis of laminated composite plates using an efficient C0 FE model", Lat. Am. J. Solids Struct., 9(3), 1-15.
- Singh, S., Singh, J. and Shukla, K.K. (2013), "Buckling of laminated composite plates subjected to mechanical and thermal loads using meshless collocations", J. Mech. Sci. Tech., 27(2), 327-336. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-1249-y
- Wang, H., Chen, Ch.S. and Fung, Ch.P. (2013), "Hygrothermal effects on dynamic instability of a laminated plate under an arbitrary pulsating load", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 48(1), 34-46.
- Yang, J., Ke, L.L. and Feng, Ch. (2015), "Dynamic buckling of thermo-electro-mechanically loaded FG-CNTRC beams", Int. J. Str. Stab. Dyn., 15(8), 1540017. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455415400179
- Yas, M.H. and Heshmati, M. (2012), "Dynamic analysis of functionally graded nanocomposite beams reinforced by randomly oriented carbon nanotube under the action of moving load", Appl. Math. Model., 36(4), 1371-1394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2011.08.037
- Zhang, L.W. and Liew, K.M. (2015), "Large deflection analysis of FG-CNT reinforced composite skew plates resting on Pasternak foundations using an element-free approach", Compos. Struct., 132, 974-983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.07.017