- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Influence of Self-leadership of Korean Aircraft Mechanics on Organizational Effectiveness (Including the mediating effect of their safety culture)
우리나라 항공정비사의 Self-Leadership이 항공정비조직의 조직효과성에 미치는 영향 연구 (안전문화 매개변수 중심으로)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.06.26
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this study was to analyze the influence of self-leadership of Korean aircraft mechanics on organizational effectiveness and to investigate whether safety culture has mediating effect. The theory of leadership, which has emerged since the 1940s, has been an important and key research issue in the social sciences for the last decade and has evolved as a brand-new theory through the theory of characteristics, the theory of behavior, and the theory of situation. The new leadership theory has been extended to charismatic leadership, transformative leadership, empowerment leadership, super leadership, and self-leadership of organizational members as a new flow leadership. On the other hand, there was a precedent study on the relationship between leadership and safety culture, and this study started with interest in the relationship between self-leadership, safety culture and organizational effectiveness. As a result, safety culture has been proved to play an moderating variable in the relationship between self-leadership of Korean aircraft mechanics and organizational effectiveness. Especially, among the sub-factors of the self-leadership, self-goal setting, self-reward, and natural reward have been shown to affect organizational effectiveness in combination with the sub-factors of the safety culture, learning culture and flexible culture.
Self-Leadership;Safety Culture;Organizational Effectiveness;Aircraft Mechanics
- Atak, A., & Kingma, S. (2011), "Safety culture in an aircraft maintenance organisation: A view from the inside", Safety Science, 49(2), pp.268-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2010.08.007
- INSAG. (1991). Safety Culture. (IAEA).
- Yun, J.H. (2015). "The Study on Institutional Improvement for the Formation of Safety Culture", The Journal of Korean Policy Studies, 15(4), 1-22.
- Duncan, J. S. (2015), "Safety Management Systems for Aviation Service Providers", Advisory Circular, 120-92B(FAA), pp.1-80.
- Jeong, Y. G., Wi, O. K. (2012). "A Study on the Relationship between Organizational Culture, Self-leadership, and Organizational Effectiveness", Korean Review of Management Consulting, 3(2), pp 53-77.
- Reason, J., (2016), "Managing the risks of organizational accidents", Routledge.
- Manz, C. C. (1986), "Self-leadership: Toward an expanded theory of self-influence processes in organizations", Academy of Management review, 11(3), pp.585-600. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1986.4306232
- Neck, C. P., & Houghton, J. D. (2006), "Two decades of self-leadership theory and research: Past developments, present trends, and future possibilities". Journal of managerial psychology, 21(4), pp.270-295. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940610663097
- Neck, C. P., Manz, C. C. (2007), "Mastering self-leadership", Empowering yourself for personal excellence, 4th ed., New Jersey.
- Andressen, P., Konradt, U., & Neck, C. P. (2012), "The relation between self-leadership and transformational leadership: Competing models and the moderating role of virtuality", Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 19(1), pp.68-82. https://doi.org/10.1177/1548051811425047
- Mahoney, M. J., & Arnkoff, D. B. (1978b). Self-management: Theory, research and application: Pennsylvania State Univ.
- Manz, C. C., & Sims, H. P. (1980). "Self-management as a substitute for leader ship: A social learning theory perspective". Academy of Management review, 5(3), 361-367. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1980.4288845
- Carver, C. S., & Scheier, M. F. (1981). Attention and self-regulation: A control-theory approach to human behavior: Springer Science & Business Media. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Bandura, A. (1986). Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Princeton-Hall.
- Manz, C.C. and Neck, C.P. (2004). Mastering Self-Leadership: Empowering Yourself for Personal Excellence, 3rd ed., Pearson/Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Neck, C. P., & Manz, C. C. (1992). "Thought self-leadership: the influence of self-talk and mental imagery on performance". Journal of Organizational Behavior, 13(7), 681-699. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030130705
- Prussia, G. E., Anderson, J. S., & Manz, C. C. (1998). "Self-leadership and performance outcomes: The mediating influence of self-efficacy".Journal of Organizational Behavior, 523-538.
- Manz, C., & Neck, C. (1998). Mastering self-leadership: empowering yourself for personal excellence.
- Locke, E. A., & Latham, G. P. (1990). A theory of goal setting & task performance: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Mahoney, M. J., & Arnkoff, D. B. (1978a). Cognitive and self-control therapies. Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change, 2, 689-722.
- Houghton, J. D., & Neck, C. P. (2002). "The revised self-leadership questionnaire: Testing a hierarchical factor structure for self-leadership", Journal of managerial psychology, 17(8), 672-691. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940210450484
- Manz, C. C., & Sims, H. P. (2001). The new superleadership: Leading others to lead themselves: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
- Thoresen, C., & Mahoney, M. (1974). Behavioral selfcontrol. Holt, Rinehart and Winston. Inc., New York.
- Neck, C. P., & Manz, C. C. (1996). Thought self-leadership: The impact of mental strategies training on employee cognition, behavior, and affect. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 445-467.
- Burns, D. D. (1980). Feeling good: the new mood therapy. New York: William Morrow and Company. Inc.(2).
- Ellis, A. (1977). The basic clinical theory of rational-emotive therapy. Handbook of rational-emotive therapy, 1, 3-34.
- Ellis, A. (1962). Reason and emotion in psychotherapy.
- Manz, C. C., & Neck, C. P. (1991). "Inner leadership: creating productive thought patterns". The Executive, 5(3), 87-95. https://doi.org/10.5465/AME.1991.4274477
- Seligman, M. (1991). P 1991 Learned optimism. New York: AA Knopf.
- Cooper Ph. D, M. (2000). "Towards a model of safety culture". Safety Science, 36(2), 111-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-7535(00)00035-7
- Richter, A., & Koch, C. (2004). "Integration, differentiation and ambiguity in safety cultures". Safety Science, 42(8), 703-722. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2003.12.003
- Pidgeon, N., O'Leary, M., Johnston, N., McDonald, N., & Fuller, R. (1994). "Organisational safety culture: implications for aviation practice. In: Johnston N McDonald N, Fuller R, eds. Applications of Psychology to the Aviation System. Avebury Aviation.
- Reason, J. (1998). "Achieving a safe culture: theory and practice". Work & Stress, 12(3), 293-306. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678379808256868
- Tierney, K. J. (1999). Toward a critical sociology of risk. Paper presented at the Sociological forum.
- Martin, J. (2001). Organizational culture: Mapping the terrain: Sage Publications.
- Alvesson, M. (2012). Understanding organizational culture: Sage.
- McDonald, N., Corrigan, S., Daly, C., & Cromie, S. (2000). "Safety management systems and safety culture in aircraft maintenance organisations". Safety Science, 34(1), pp.151-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-7535(00)00011-4
- Reason, J. (1997). Managing the risks of organizational accidents: Routledge.
- Kim, C. H., (2015). "An empirical study on safety culture of aviation mailtenance organization in Korea", Ph..D thesis, Korea Aerospace University.
- Petitt, K. (2016). Safety Culture.
- Bennis, W. G. (1959). "Leadership Theory and Administrative Behavior: The Problem of Authority". Administrative Science Quarterly, 4, pp.259-301. https://doi.org/10.2307/2390911
- Tannenbaum, R. J., Weschler, I. R., & Massarik, F. (1961). Leadership and organization: A behavioral science approach.
- Steers, R. M. (1975). "Problems in the measurement of organizational effectiveness". Administrative science quarterly, 20(4) pp.546-558. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392022
- Park, S. E., Kim, Y. J. (1995) "Study on the Relationships between Cultural Profiles and Organizational Effectiveness", Korea Business Review, 24(3), pp.213-238.
- Lim, J. C., Yun, J. G., (1999) "The Effects of Supervisors" Transformational and Transactional Leadership on Subordinates" Innovativeness: The Role of Self-Efficacy as a Mediator" Korean Journal of Management, 7(1) pp.1-42.
- Kim, J. H.,(2000) "Relationship between the Types of Power in the Sport Organization and Organizational Efficiency" Korean Society of Sport and Lesure Studies, 13(2000.5) pp.669-685.
- Shin, Y. G. (2001). Human resource management. Seoul: Sinkwang publishing Co.
- Weiss, D. J., Dawis, R. V., & England, G. W. (1967). "Manual for the Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire". Minnesota studies in vocational rehabilitation. (No. XXII), 1-119. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, Industrial Relations Center.
- Mowday, R. T., Steers, R. M., & Porter, L. W. (1979). The measurement of organizational commitment. Journal of vocational behavior, 14(2), 224-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- Anderson, J. S., & Prussia, G. E. (1997). The self-leadership questionnaire: Preliminary assessment of construct validity. The Journal of Leadership Studies, 4, 119-143. https://doi.org/10.1177/107179199700400212