- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Exploitation and Exploration on Performance of Open Collaboration: Focus on Open Source Software Development Project
지식의 탐색(Exploration)과 활용(Exploitation)이 개방형협업의 성과에 미치는 영향: 오픈소스 소프트웨어 개발 프로젝트를 중심으로
- Published : 2017.06.01
With rapid development of information and communication technologies, open collaboration can be eased through the Internet. Open source software, as a representative area of open collaboration, is developed and adopted to various fields. In this research, based on organizational learning theory, we examine the impacts of exploration and exploitation on innovation performance in open source software development projects. We define knowledge exploration as a number of developers from outside organization and knowledge exploitation as the ratio of member of an organization who participated in an open source software project managed by the organization. For analysis, we collect data of 4794 projects from github which is a representative open source software development platform using Web crawler developed by Python. As a result, we find that excessive exploration has curvilinear (invers U-shape) relationship on project performance. On the other hand, exploitation with enough external developers will positively impact on project performance.
Supported by : 서울대학교 경영연구소
- 강신형, 황정태, 박상문 2016."외부지식탐색이 기업의 혁신 성과에 미치는 영향: 지식 보호와 환경 불확실성의 조절효과를 중심으로, 지식경영연구, (17:3), pp. 117-136. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2016.17.3.006
- 백지영, 기업은 왜 오픈소스SW 도입할까- 비용보다 경쟁력 확보, 디지털데일리, 2016.06.14.
- 백현미, 오세환 2015. "개방형협업 참여자 기여도와 네트워크 특성과의 관계에 대한 연구: 깃허브 오픈소스 프로젝트를 중심으로," 전자거래학회지 (20:1), pp. 23-43.
- 서리빈, 윤현덕 2012. "개방형 혁신과 조직학습 특성이 벤처기업의 기술경쟁 우위에 미치는 영향," 지식경영연구 (13:2), pp. 73-93.
- 문상식, 김기홍 2014, "IT 환경 변화에 따른 한국의 오픈소스 소프트웨어의 정책방향 연구," 인터넷전자상거래연구 (14:1), pp. 203-221.
- 원유신, 이중정, 윤혜정 2016, "IT 아웃소싱 환경에서 도메인이해도가 성과에 미치는 영향: 조직 학습, 지식이전 및 아웃소싱비율의 조절효과를 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (17:2), pp. 205-229. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2016.17.2.009
- 이종선, 박지훈, 배종태 2016. "기업의 개방형 혁신이 혁신 생산성에 미치는 영향: 외부 지식탐색 활동을 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (17:1), pp. 49-72.
- 이준기, 오픈콜라보레이션, Initial Communications Corp, 2012.12.31.
- Adams, P., Capiluppi, A., and Boldyreff, C., 2009. "Coordination and productivity issues in free software: The role of brooks' law," IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, ICSM 2009.
- Aksulu, A., and Wade, M. 2010. "A comprehensive review and synthesis of open source research," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (11:11), pp. 576-656. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00245
- Andersen-Gott, M., Ghinea, G., & Bygstad, B. 2012. "Why do commercial companies contribute to open source software?," International Journal of Information Management (32:2), pp. 106-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2011.10.003
- Andriopoulos, C., and Lewis, M. W. 2009. "Exploitation-exploration tensions and organizational ambidexterity: Managing paradoxes of innovation," Organization Science (20:4), pp. 696-717. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1080.0406
- Atuahene-Gima, K. 2005. "Resolving the capability-rigidity paradox in new product innovation," Journal of Marketing (69:4), pp. 61-83. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2005.69.4.61
- Bayus, B. 2012. "Crowdsourcing new project ideas over time: an analysis of the Dell Idea Storm community," Management Science (59:1), pp. 226-244.
- Benkler, Y. 2002. "Coase's penguin, or, Linux and the nature of the firm," Yale Law Journal pp. 369-446.
- Benner, M. J. and Tushman, M. L. 2003. "Exploitation, exploration, and process management: The productivity dilemma revisited," Academy of Management Review (28:2), pp. 238-256. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2003.9416096
- Bierly, P. E., and Daly, P. S. 2007. "Alternativ knowledge strategies, competitive environment, and organizational performance in small manufacturing firms," Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice (31:4), pp. 493-516. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2007.00185.x
- Calatone, R. J., Cavusgil, S. T., and Zhao, Y. 2002. "Learning orientation, firm innovation capability and firm performance," Industrial Market ing Management (31:5), pp. 515-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(01)00203-6
- Cantwell, J., and Mudambi, R. 2005. "MNE competence‐creating subsidiary mandates," Strategic Management Journal (26:12), pp. 1109-1128. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.497
- Chen, Y. S., Lin, M. L., and Chang, C. H. 2009. "The positive effects of relationship learning and absorptive capacit y on innovation performance and competitive advantage in industrial markets," Industrial Marketing Management (38:2), pp. 152-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.12.003
- Chengalur-Smith, S. and Sidorova, A. 2003. "Survival of open-source projects: A population ecology perspective," in Proceedings of International Conference on Information Systems.
- Chesbrough, H. 2006. Open innovation: a new paradigm for understanding industrial innovation, Open innovation: Researching a New Paradigm, pp. 1-12.
- Chevalier, J.A. and Mayzlin, D. 2006 "The effect of word of mouth on sales: online book reviews", Journal of Marketing Research (43:3), pp.345-354 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.3.345
- Crowston, K., Annabi, H., and Howison, J. 2003. "Defining open source software project success," in proceedings of International Conference on Information Systems.
- Dabbish, L ., Stuar t, C., Tsay, J., and Herbsleb, J. 2012. "Social coding in github: transparency and collaboration in an open software repository," in Proceedings of the ACM 2012 conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work.
- Danneels, E. 2002. "The dynamics of product innovation and firm competences," Strategic Management Journal (23:12), pp. 1095-1121. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.275
- de Laat, P. B. 2007. "Governance of open source software: State of the art," Journal of Management and Governance (11:2), pp. 165-177. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10997-007-9022-9
- Dosi, G. 1988. "Sources, procedures, and microeconomic effects of innovation," Journal of Economic Literature pp. 1120-1171.
- Faems, D., Van Looy, B., and Debackere, K. 2005. "Interorganizational collaboration and innovation: toward a portfolio app.roach," Journal of Product Innovation Management (22:3), pp. 238-250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0737-6782.2005.00120.x
- Fiol, C. M., and Lyles, M. A. 1985. "Organizational learning," Academy of Management Review (10:4), pp. 803-813. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1985.4279103
- Francalanci, C. and Morabito, V. 2008. "IS integration and business performance: The mediation effect of organizational absorptive capacity in SMEs," Journal of Information Technology (23:4), pp. 297-312. https://doi.org/10.1057/jit.2008.18
- Geiger, S. W., and Makri, M. 2006 . "Exploration and exploitation innovation processes: The role of organizational slack in R & D intensive firms," The Journal of High Technology Management Research (17:1), pp. 97-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2006.05.007
- Gilsing, V., Nooteboom, B., Vanhaverbeke, W., Duysters, G., and van den Oord, A., 2008. "Network embeddedness and the exploration of novel technologies: Technological distance, betweenness centrality and density," Research Policy (37:10), pp. 1717-1731. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2008.08.010
- Ghosh, R. A., and Prakash, V. V. 2000. "The orbiten free software survey," First Monday (5:7).
- Gousios, G., and Diomidis, S. 2012. "GH Torrent : Github's data from a firehose" in proceedings of the 9th IEEE Working Conference on Mining Software Repositories.
- Greve, H. R. 2007. "Exploration and exploitation in product innovation," Industrial & Corporate Change (16:5), pp. 945-975. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtm013
- Groysberg, B. and Lee, L. E. 2009. "Hiring stars and their colleagues: Exploration and exploitation in professional service firms," Organization Science (20:4), pp. 740-758. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1090.0430
- Gupta, A. K., Smith, K. G., and Shalley, C. E. 2006. " The inter play bet ween exploration and exploitation," Academy of Management Journal, (49:4), pp. 693-706. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2006.22083026
- Hahn, J., Moon, J. Y., and Zhang, C. 2008. "Emergence of new project teams from open source software developer networks: Impact of prior collaboration ties ," Information Systems Research (19:3), pp. 369-391. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1080.0192
- He, Z. L., and Wong, P. K. 2004. "Exploration vs. exploitation: An empirical test of the ambidexterity hypothesis," Organization Science (15:4), pp. 481-494. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1040.0078
- Holmqvist, M. 2004. "Experiential learning processes of exploitation and exploration within and between organizations: An empirical study of product development," Organization Science (15:1), pp. 70-81. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1030.0056
- Lavie, D., Stettner, U., and Tushman, M. L. 2010. "Exploration and exploitation within and across organizations," Academy of Management Annals, (4:1), pp. 109-155. https://doi.org/10.1080/19416521003691287
- Lerner, J. and Tirole, J. 2004. " The economics of technology sharing: Open source and beyond," NBER Working Paper (10956).
- Levinthal, D. A., and March, J. G. 1993. " The myopia of learning," Strategic Management Journal (14:2), pp. 95-112. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250141009
- Lima, A., Rossi , L., & Musolesi, M. 2014. "Coding together at scale: GitHub as a collaborative social network. In Proceedings of 8th AAAI International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM 2014).
- Lin, Z., Yang, H., and Demirkan, I. 2007. "The Performance consequences of ambidexterity in strategic alliance formations: Empirical investigation and computational theorizing," Management Science (53:10), pp. 1645-1658. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1070.0712
- March, J. G. 1991. "Exploration and exploitation in organizational learning," Organization Science (2:1), pp.. 71-87. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Markus, M. L., & Agres, B. M. 2000. "What makes a virtual organization work?" MIT Sloan Management Review (42:1), 13.
- Markus, M. L. 2007. "The governance of free/open source software project: monolithic, multidimensional, or configurational?," Journal of Management and Governance (11), pp. 151-163. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10997-007-9021-x
- March, J. G. 1991. "Exploration and exploitation in organizational learning," Organization Science (2:1), pp. 71-87. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Marlow, J., Dabbish, L., and Herbsleb, J. 2013. "Impression formation in online peer production: activity traces and personal profiles in github," in Proceedings of the 2013 conference on Computer supported cooperative work.
- Mockus, A., Fielding, R.T., and Herbsleb, J. D. 2005. Two case studies of open source software development: Apache and Mozilla, Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Nelson, R., Winter, S. 1982. An evolutionary theory of economic change, Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA.
- Nemanich, L. A., Keller, R. T., and Vera, D. 2007. "Managing the exploration/exploitation paradox in new product development : How top executives define their firm's innovation trajectory," International Journal of Innovation & Technology Management (4), pp. 351-374. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219877007001132
- Nerkar, A. 2003. "Old is gold? The value of temporal exploration in the creation of new knowledge," Management Science (49:2), pp. 211-229. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.126.96.36.19947
- Nohria, N., and Gulati, R. 1996. "Is slack good or bad for innovation?," Academy of Management Journal, (39:5), pp. 1245-1264. https://doi.org/10.5465/256998
- Oh, S., Baek, H. and Ahn, J.H. 2015. "The effect of electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) on mobile application downloads: an empirical investigation," International Journal of Mobile Communications (13:2), pp.136-156. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2015.067960
- Osterloh, M., and Rota, S. 2007. "Open source software development-Just another case of collective invention?," Research Policy (36:2), pp. 157-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2006.10.004
- Perretti, F., and Negro, G. 2007. "Mixing genres and matching people: a study in innovation and team composition in Hollywood," Journal of Organizational Behavior (28:5), pp. 563-586. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.464
- Raymond, E. 1999. "The cathedral and the bazaar," Knowledge, Technology & Policy (12:3), pp. 23-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12130-999-1026-0
- Rosenkopf, L., and Almeida, P. 2003. "Overcoming local search through alliances and mobility," Management Science (49:6), pp. 751-766. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.6.751.16026
- Rullani, F., and Frederiksen, L. 2010. "Individual interaction and innovation capabilities: exploration and exploitation in open source software communities," in Proceedings of Summer Conference on DRUID, 2010.
- Schweik, C. M., and English, R. C. 2012. Internet success: A study of open-source software commons, Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Sidhu, J. S., Commandeur, H. R., and Volberda, H. W. 2007. "The multifaceted nature of exploration and exploitation: Value of supp.ly, demand, and spatial search for innovation," Organization Science (18:1), pp. 20-38. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1060.0212
- Slater, S. F., and Narver, J. C. 1995. "Market orientation and the learning organization," Journal of Marketing (59:3), pp. 63-74. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299505900106
- Stam, W. and Elfring, T. (2008) "Entrepreneurial Orientation and New Venture Performance: The Moderating Role of Intra-and Extraindustry Social Capital," Academy of Management Journal (51:1), pp. 97-111. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2008.30744031
- Tullio, D. D., and Staples, D. S. (2013), "The governance and control of open source software projects," Journal of Management Information Systems (30:3), pp. 49-80. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222300303
- Uotila, J., Maula, M., Keil, T., and Zahra, S. A. 2009. "Exploration, exploitation, and financial performance: analysis of S&P 500 corporations," Strategic Management Journal (30:2), pp. 221-231. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.738
- Venkatraman, N., Lee, C. H., and Iyer, B. 2007. "Strategic ambidexterity and sales growth: A longitudinal test in the software sector," Unpublished manuscript, Boston University, Boston.
- Vlas, R. E., and Robinson, W. N. (2012), "Two rulebased natural language strategies for requirements discovery and classification in open source software development projects," Journal of Management Information Systems (28:4), pp. 11-38. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222280402
- von Krogh, G., Haef liger, S., Spaeth, S., and Wallin, M. W. 2012. "Carrots and rainbows: Motivation and social practice in open source software development," MIS Quarterly (36:2), pp. 649-676. https://doi.org/10.2307/41703471
- West, J., and O'Mahony, S. 2008. "The role of participation architecture in growing sponsored open source communities," Industry and Innovation (15:2), pp. 145-168. https://doi.org/10.1080/13662710801970142
- Watkins, K. E., and Marsick, V. J. 1996. In Action: Creating the Learning Organization, A lexandria: American Society for Training and Development.