- Volume 18 Issue 6
The shape of press components is becoming increasingly complex due to customer demands, process shortening and cost savings. In addition, the stability of the pressing process frequently varies during mass production due to the influence of many factors. In order to ensure the process stability, it is necessary to establish a process in which reproducibility is realized in tolerance, which is sufficient for advance study of shape, material, press, mold and lubrication. However, unforeseen changes in process parameters cause disruptions in production line shutdowns and production planning. In this paper, we introduce a method to monitor a real time process by applying a sensor to a press mold. A non-contact type sensor for measuring the flow of a sheet material and an example of an experiment using the optical sensor which is highly applicable to mass production are presented. An optical sensor was installed in a cylindrical drawing mold to test its potential application while changing the material, blank holder force, and drawing ratio. We also quantitatively determined that the flow of other sheet materials was quantified locally using a square drawing die and that the measured value was always smaller than the drawing depth due to the material elongation. Finally, we propose a field that can be used by attaching the sensor to the press mold. We hope that the consequent cost reduction will contribute to increasing global mold competitiveness.
deep drawing;material flow;monitoring;sheet metal forming;sensor
- S-H Kim, Press Die Design Engineering, Daekwang Surim, 2013.
- K. Lange, Lehrbuch der Umformtechnik, Volume 3 Sheet metal forming, Berlin Springer 1975.
- W. Strackerjahn, The prediction of the failure case at drawing rectangular parts, Dissertation, University Hanover, 1982.
- H. Braunlich, Control system for deep-drawing with blank holder - a contribution to increasing process stability, Dissertation, Technical University Chemnitz, 2001.
- U. Forstmann, Inductive displacement sensors for monitoring and controlling the sheet metal feed during thermoforming, Dissertation, Technical University, Berlin, 2000.
- E. Doege, H-J Seidel, B. Griesbach, J-W Yun, Contactless on-line measurement of material flow for closed loop control of deep drawing, AFDM, 2002.
- K-K Choi, D-C Lee, "Study on the Design of Bracket Strip Layout Using Cimatron Die Design", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1113-1118, 2008. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2008.9.5.1113 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2008.9.5.1113
- K-K Choi, K-H Kim, D-C Lee, "Study on the 3D Design of Bracket with Automatic Module", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1164-1169, 2009. DOI: http://doi.org/KAIS.2009.10.6.1164 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.6.1164