- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Emotion-Based Learning Motivation Enhancement Program on Learning Motivation and Social Support of College Students
정서기반 학습동기향상 프로그램이 전문대학생의 학습동기와 사회적 지지에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Jin-Hyun (Student Counseling Center, Dong-eui University) ;
- Song, Hyun-A (Department of Education, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Soo-Hyun (Department of Early Childhood Education, Koje College)
- Received : 2016.12.27
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study investigates how the emotion-based learning motivation enhancement program influences learning motivation and social support of college students. The developed final program consists of Learning Motivation I, Learning Coaching, and Learning Motivation II, which has 12 sessions. In each session, every student was guided to have reflection time by writing self-evaluation and reflection paper. The participants were 38 students majoring in engineering at K-college located in G city who took one liberal arts subject based on psychology during the 1st semester in 2016 and who were divided into an experimental group (19 students) and a control group (19 students) by non-probability sampling method. In the experimental group, emotion-based learning motivation enhancement program was totally processed 12 times, one class in a week, by one main lecturer and one assistant lecturer. For data analysis, independent sample t-tests, paired samples t-tests, and review analysis were conducted. The study results are as follows. First, the experimental group participating in emotion-based learning motivation enhancement program had more significant differences in learning motivation, and both self-confidence and self-contentment among sub-components than the control group. Second, the experimental group had no significant differences in social support, compared with the control group. The impression writing analysis of the experimental group showed that this program affected learning motivation and social support. Lastly, the study discussions and implications are described.
College;College Students;Emotion-based learning Motivation Enhancement Program;Learning Motivation;Social Support
- H. J. Shin, "The life and knowledge of the college student, the experiential construction: Based on college lives", Korean Joural of Anthropology of Education, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 187-227, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17318/jae.2012.15.1.006 https://doi.org/10.17318/jae.2012.15.1.006
- J. G, Hwang, The Development of the Learning Strategy Program for College Students, Doctor's thesis, Kyung-buk National University, 2012.
- B. R. Lim, "Development of a 'Learning Affection' Scale for the Self-directed Learners", Education Method Research, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 827-853, 2011.
- S. l. Na, C. Y. Jyung, D. Y. Park, and H. S. Lee, "The Current Level and the Educational Needs of Students on Learning Competencies Required for Junior College Education", Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 91-106, 2002.
- R. Y. Seok, "The relationship between faculty trust and school adjustment level: An examination of community college students", Journal of research in education, vol. 42, pp. 245-263, 2012.
- J. J. Jeong, "Educational Neuroscientific Review of the Importance of Emotions in Learning", Brain Education Research, vol. 17, pp. 71-95, 2016.
- A. Damasio, Editor, Descartes' error. Emotion, reason, and the human brain, Putnam and Sons Publishers, New York, 2016.
- A. Efklides, S. Volet, "Emotional experiences during learning: Multiple, situated and dynamic", Learning and Instruction, vol. 15, pp. 377-380, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2005.07.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2005.07.006
- B. S. Hwang, H. R. Choi, "The Contents Analysis of Learning Coaching Programs of College Students - Mainly About Learning Coaching Based Group Counseling Program", Korea Journal of College Counseling & Research, vol. 20, 1, pp. 45-61, 2014.
- S. M. Han, "The Relationships between the Academic Motivation Variables, Cognitive Strategies and Academic Achievement", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 329-350, 2004.
- T. Garcia, P. R. Pintrich, "Assessing Students' Motivation and Learning Strategies in the Classroom Context: The Motivated Strategies for Learning Questionnaire, Alternatives in Assessment of Achievements", Learning Processes and Prior Knowledge, vol. 42, pp. 319-339, 1995.
- Y. S. Kwon, S. Y. Kang, S. E. Park, "A Study of College Students' Academic Motivation and Adjustment", The Educational Research for Tomorrow, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 86-108, 2005.
- K. H. Kim, M. K. La., J. H. Kwon, "Verification of a Relational Model among Professor's Support, Learning Motivation, and Academic Adjustment of College Students", Asian journal of education, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 45-69, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2014.15.1.003
- Y. H. Kim, "The Relationship between Motivation for Learning, Learning Strategies and achievement in High School Students", Journal of Evaluation on Counseling, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 51-68, 2009.
- E. Y. Jeong, Y. H. Park, "Relations Among Faculty Trust, Learning Motivation, and School Adjustment of College Students", Asian Journal of Education, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 73-93, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2008.9.1.004 https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2008.9.1.004
- M. Dowson, D. McInerney, "What Do Students Say about their Motivational Goals?: Towards a More Complex and Dynamic Perspective on Student Motivation". Contemporary Educational Psychology, vol. 28, pp. 91-113, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-476X(02)00010-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-476X(02)00010-3
- C. Furrer, E. Skinner, "Sense of Relatedness as a Factor in Children's Academic Engagement and Performance", Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 148-162, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.199 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.52
- M. Kunter, Y. M. Tsai, U. Klusmann, B. Martin, K. Stefan and B. Jurgen, "Students' and Mathematics Teachers' Perceptions of Teacher Enthusiasm and Instruction", Learning and Instruction, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 468-482, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2008.06.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2008.06.008
- A. Metcalfe, A. Game, "The Teacher's Enthusiasm", the Australian Educational Researcher, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 91-106, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03216843
- L. Legault, I. Green-Demer, L. Pelletier, "Why Do High School Students Lack Motivation in the Classroom? Toward an Understanding of Academic Motivation and the Role of Social Support", Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 567-582, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2067 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.117
- Y. S. Kim., Study on Relationship between Life Satisfaction and Perceived Social Support Among Adults with Mental Disorders, Master's thesis, Ehwa Woman University, 1995.
- J. E. Jeong, The Casual Relationship of Undergraduate Student's Career Adaptability Social Support, Self-Esteem and Self-Directed Learning, Master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2013.
- J. E. Hwang, J. H. Kim, The Structural Relationships among Social Support, Career Maturity, Academic Motivation, and Aggression of Adolescents, Korea Journal of Counseling, vol. 16, 6, pp. 385-408, 2015.
- M. Y. Yang., A Critical Review of Research on Intrinsic Motivation in Learning. The Journal of Yeolin Education, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 187-209, 2012.