- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Stress Reaction on the Resilience among Dental Hygiene Students
일부 치위생과 학생의 스트레스 반응이 극복력에 미치는 영향
- Yoon, Mi-Suk (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Shinhan University) ;
- Jung, Hyo-Jung (Dept. of Oral Medicine, Yonsei University Graduate School of Dentistry)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study examined the stress reaction, resilience levels, and the effects of the stress reaction on the resilience among dental hygiene students. From July 11, 2016 to July 29, 2016, questionnaires were collected from 274 dental hygiene students in several areas. The collected data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, One-way ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficient, and multiple regression using SPSS Statistics ver.21.0. The stress reaction level of dental hygiene students was found to be 2.59 out of 5 points and the resilience level was 4.47 out of 7 points. The stress reaction and resilience showed a significant negative correlation in Fatigue, Tension, Frustration, Anger, Depression, Aggression(p>0.001), and stomatization(p>0.05). In other words, the lower the resilience, the higher the stress reaction.The factors of stress reaction influencing the resilience were depression and somatization, which explained 25.6%(R2=0.256). Therefore, to enhance the resilience of dental hygiene students, it is important to investigation the stress reaction and there should be more concern with students who have higher depression and stomatization. In addition, efforts to control the stress reaction are needed.
Dental hygiene students;Resilience;Stress;Stress reaction
- Spence SH, Sheffield J, Donovan C, "Problem-solving orientation and attributional style : moderators of the impact of negative life events on the development of depressive symptoms in adolescence?", Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 219-229, Jun. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/S15374424JCCP3102_07 https://doi.org/10.1207/S15374424JCCP3102_07
- S. J. Lee, J. H. Yoo, "Mediation Effect of Self-Efficacy between Academic and Career Stress and Adjustment to college", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 589-607, Sep. 2008.
- Y. J. Son, E. Y. Choi, Y. A. Song, "The Relationship between Stress and Depression in Nursing College Students", Korean Journal of Stress Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 345-351, Dec. 2010.
- Sapolsky Robert M., "STRESS(Original : Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers)", 758, sciencebooks, 2008.
- Lazarus R. S., Folkman S., "Stress, appraisal and coping", 456, New York : Springer Pub. Co., 1984.
- J. H. Yoo, J. H. Kim, "A Study on the Satisfaction and Stress Factors of Clinical Practice for Dental Hygiene Students", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 62-69, Jan. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.62 https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.62
- H. J. Kang, B. C. Yu, "The relationship between physical . mental health and life stress in dental hygiene freshman", Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 495-502, August, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.10.04.495
- Magnussen L, Amundson MJ., "Undergraduate nursing student experience", Nursing and Health Science, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 261-267, Dec. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2003.00158.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2003.00158.x
- Garmezy N., "Resilience in children's adaptation to negative life events and stressed environments", Pediatr Ann, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 459-466, Sep. 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3928/0090-4481-19910901-05 https://doi.org/10.3928/0090-4481-19910901-05
- S. H. Jang, M. Y. Lee, "Relationship Between Stress, Self-efficacy and Resilience among Nursing Student", Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 255-265, Jun. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.10.04.495 https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.06.9.2.255
- Rios-Risquez MI, Garcia-lzquierdo M, Sabuco-Tebal EL, Carrillo-Darcia C, Martinez-Roche ME, "An exploratory study of the relationship between resilience, academic burnout and psychological health in nursing students", Journal Contemporary Nurse, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 403-439, Aug. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2016.1213648
- E. J. Jung, M. S. Yoon, H. J. Youn, "A Study on Stressors among Dental Hygiene Students", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 131-137, Apr. 2012.
- A. H. Song, H. J. Youn, E. J. Jung, "Influential factors for stress and self esteem of dental hygiene students", Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 49-57, Jan. 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.49 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.49
- H. S. Shim, H. N. Lee, "Stress and coping of dental hygiene students in clinical practice", Journal of Korean Society Dental Hygiene, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 139-145, Apr. 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.139 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.139
- K. H. Jeon, S. R. Lim, M. Kim, "The Structural Relationship among Sense of Coherence, Clinical Practice Stress, and Departmental Satisfaction of Dental Hygiene Students", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 323-330, Aug. 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.5.323 https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.5.323
- E. J. Jung, H. J. Youn, "A Study on the Relationship of Self-Control to Stress-Coping Style among Dental Hygiene Students", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 238-245, Jul. 2013.
- S. Y. Lee, M. J. Lee, S. H. Kwon, "Self-efficacy and stress coping method of students in the department of dental hygiene in some areas", Journal of Korean Society Dental Hygiene, vol. 14, no. 1, Feb. pp. 67-74, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.67 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.67
- K. B. Koh, J. K. Park, C. H. Kim, "Development of the Stress Response Inventory", Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, vol. 39, no. 4, June, 2000.
- GM Wagnild, HM Young, "Development and psychometric evaluation of the Resilience Scale", J Nurs Meas, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 156-178, 1993.
- Y. S. Song, "Determinants of Resilience of the Physically Disabled at home", Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan, 2004.
- J. Y. Park, "Stress, Stress response and influencing factors on Resilience among Nursing students", Unpublished master's thesis, Seonam University, Jeonbuk, 2011.
- S. Y. Han, Y. M. Lee, "The Relationship between Anxiety, Anger and Fatigue among Stress factor of Nursing Students in Clinical Practice", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 554-561, Feb. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.554 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.554
- J. O. Choi, Y. J. Choi, S. Eom, "The effect of resilience of the negative emotion in health-related university student on the stress of university life", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 388-394, Jan. 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.388 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.388
- J. S. Park, Y. E. Kwon, "Relationship between the Life Stress, Self-Esteem and Resilience of University Students", Journal of The Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 212-221, Jul. 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2015.19.2.212 https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2015.19.2.212
- D. H. Kim, I. Y. Yoo, "Development of a Questionnaire to Measure Resilience in Children with Chronic Diseases", Journal Korean Academy Nursing, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 236-246, Apr. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.388 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.236
- Y. S. Lee, E. J. Ahn, M. J. Kim, M. A. Kim, B. R. Kim, "The Relationship between Stress and Resilience of Baccalaureate Nursing Students", Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1-10, Dec. 2012.
- H. S. Kim, "Concept Development of Resilience", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 403-413, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19188.8.131.523 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19184.108.40.2063
- Battle J, "Relationship between self-esteem and depression among children", Psychological Reports, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1187-1190, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1987.60.3c.1187 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1987.60.3c.1187
- D. H. Kim, I. Y. Yoo, "Relationship between Depression and Resilience among Children with Nephrotic Syndrome", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 34, no. 3, Jun. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.3.534
- K. H. Yoo, "A Correlational Study on the Mastery and Depression in Chronic Arthritis Patients", The Korean Journal of Rehabiltation Nursing, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 161-165, Dec. 2006.