- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Interpersonal Problems, Emotional Labor on Professional Self-Concept among Clinical Nurses
간호사의 대인관계문제, 감정노동이 전문직 자아개념에 미치는 영향
- Yeom, Eun-Yi (Department of Nursing, Chungwoon University)
- 염은이 (청운대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.04.05
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study was conducted to identify the degree and correlation among clinical nurses' interpersonal problems, emotional labor and professional self-concept and to examine the effects of interpersonal problems and emotional labor on professional self-concept. Data were collected through a self reported structured questionnaire of 150 clinical nurses using convenient sampling methods from August 2, 2016 to August 30, 2016. The mean score of interpersonal problems was 2.57 and the score of moving toward people was the highest. The mean score of emotional labor was 3.50 and the score of emotional expression frequency was highest. The mean score of professional self-concept was 2.54 and the score of communication was highest. Interpersonal problems were positively correlated with emotional labor(r=0.392, p<0.001), while professional self-concept was negatively correlated with interpersonal problems(r=-0.452, p<0.001) and emotional labor(r=-0.376, p<0.001). Stepwise regression showed that interpersonal problems had the greatest effect on professional self-concept(
Emotions;Interpersonal Relations;Labor;Nurses;Self Concept
- M. H. Sung, E. Y. Choi, "The relationships between professional self- concept, nursing performance and retention intention of emergency department nurses", Journal of the Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 244-252, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.244
- W. K. Kim, K. H. Chung, "The relationship between professional self-concept, organizational commitment and job satisfaction in clinical nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 287-296, 2008.
- J. A. Park, J. H. Yeo, "Effect of professional autonomy and professional self-concept on job satisfaction of emergency Nurses", Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 62-70, 2015.
- E. J. Park, J. Y. Han, N. Y. Jo, "Effects of professional self-concept, self efficacy on the job satisfaction in general hospital nurses", Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 191-201, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.191 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.191
- H. Y. Cheong, S. H. Yun, "Process of overcoming turnover intention in career nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 414-426, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.41 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.414
- J. H. Kim, J. S. Lee, "The experience of clinical nurses' interpersonal conflict", Journal of Qualitative Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 70-80, 2013. https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.70
- B. M. Im, J. M. Park, M. J. Kim, S. Y. Kim, J. H. Maeng, L. L. Lee, K. A. Kang, "A phenomenological study on the turnover experience of novice nurses working in general hospital", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 313-322, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.4.313 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.4.313
- D. Arthur, "The development of an instrument for measuring the professional self concept of nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, University of Newcastle, Australia, 1990.
- Y. J. Kim, H. K. Song, M. A. Lee, "Perceived relationship among professional self-concept, head nurse's leadership, and nursing clinical competency by clinical nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 96-105, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.96
- D. Arthur, S. Pang, T. Wong, M. F. Alexander, J. Drury, H. Eastwood, I. Johansson, K. Jooste, M. Naude, C. H. Noh, A. O'Brien, K. Y. Sohng, G. R. Stevenson, M. T. Sy-Sinda, S. Thorne, D. Van der Wal, S. Xiao, "Caring attributes, professional self concept and technological influences in a sample of Registered Nurses in eleven countries", International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 387-396, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(99)00035-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(99)00035-8
- E. J. Oh, S. Y. Lee, K. M. Sung, "Interpersonal relations, hope, professional self-concept and turnover intention according to adult attachment styles in early stage nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 491-500, 2013. DOI https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.491 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.491
- S. H. Shin, H. R. Choi, S. M. Kim, "Impact on the degree of labor turnover of professional self-concept and emotional labor : A case of female children's hospital nurses, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 375-383, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.375 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.375
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*POWER 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences", Behavior Research Methods, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- L. M. Horowitz, S. E. Rosenberg, B. A. Bear, G. Ureno, V. S. Villasenor, "Inventory of interpersonal problems: Psychometric properties and clinical applications", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 885-892. 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.6.885 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.6.885
- S. H. Hong, E. Y. Park, Y. H. Kim, J. H. Kwon, Y. R. Cho, Y. K. Kim, "Short form of the korean inventory of interpersonal problems circumplex scales(KIIP-SC)", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 923-940, 2002.
- M. J. Kim, "Effects of the hotel employee's emotional labor upon the Job - related attitudes", Journal of Tourism Sciences, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 129-141, 1998.
- J. A. Morris, D. C. Feldman, "The dimensions, antecedents, and consequences of emotional labor", Academy of Management Review, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 986-1010, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1996.9704071861 https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071861
- C. H. Noh, K. Y. Sohng, "Survey on the relationship self-esteem and professional self-concept of nurses", Journal of the Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 61-71, 1997.
- E. H. An, "The effect of separation-individuation in university students on interpersonal problems : the mediating effect of automatic thoughts", Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, 2012.
- S. H. Hong, "Interpersonal problems of CNUE students", Journal of Student Life Research, vol. 12, pp. 73-81, 2004.
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, "Development and testing of a nurse turnover intention scale (NTIS)", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 256-266, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.256 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.256
- B. H. Kong, "A Philosophical inquiry into caring in nursing-Based on ricoeur's narrative ethics", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1333-1342, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.7.1333 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.7.1333
- Y. Sawbridge, A. Hewison, "Thinking about the emotional labor of nursing-supporting nurses to care", Journal of Health Organization and Management, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 127-133. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/14777261311311834
- E. Y. Yeom, H. O. Jeon, "Relations of burnout, interpersonal relations, professional self-concept and depression in clinical nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 2869-2879, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2869 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2869
- H. R. Ko, J. H. Kim, "The Relationships among emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationship, and job satisfaction of clinical nurses", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 413-423, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.413 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.413
- D. Arthur, "Measuring the professional self-concept of nurses: A critical review", Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 712-719, 1992. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1992.tb01969.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1992.tb01969.x
- V. Zamanzadeh, L. Valizadeh, L. Sayadi, F. Taleghani, F. Howard, A. Jeddian, "Emotional labour of caring for homatopoietic stem cell transplantation patients: Iranian nurses' experiences", Asian Nursing Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 91-97, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2013.04.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2013.04.004
- S. G. Han, "A study on the occupational characteristics of emotional labor in korea", Journal of Labor Research, vol. 32, pp. 5-27, 2016.
- S. Y. Kim, H. Y. Jung, Y. M. Kim, "Emotional labor experienced of ward nurses", Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 377-387, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2016.26.3.377 https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2016.26.3.377
- J. H. Noh, Y. K. Na, "Effects of violence experience, emotional labor, and job stress on clinical nurses' depression", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 153-161, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.153 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.153
- Y. S. Kim, E. Y. Chung, J. N. Kim, Y. J. Seo, "The effect of emotional labor on job stress, burnout and job satisfaction of hospital nurses", Korean Public Health Research, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 75-88, 2014.
- M. A. Lee, E. J. Kim, "Influences of hospital nurses' perceived reciprocity and emotional labor on quality of nursing service and intent to leave", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 364-374, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.3.364 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.3.364
- M. R. Song, K. J. Park, "Emotional labor experienced by ambulatory care nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 451-461, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.451
- D. H. Moon, "Relationship between ego resilience, self efficacy and professional self-concept of nurse in early stage nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 646-653, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.646
- S. H. Kim, N. H. Kim, "The effects of rehabilitation hospital nurses' professional autonomy and self-efficacy on professional self-concept", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17 no. 1, pp. 165-174, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.165