- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Subjective Sleep Sufficiency among Korean Adolescent by Gender: Based on 2016 12th Korean Youth Risk Behavior Survey
성별에 따른 청소년의 주관적 수면충족감에 영향을 미치는 요인: 2016년 제 12차 청소년건강행태온라인조사를 기반으로
- Chae, Myung-Ock (Department of Nursing, Cheongju University)
- 채명옥 (청주대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study compared the individual, family, environmental factors, and subjective sleep sufficiency according to gender among Korean adolescents and to examine relevance among the individual, family, environmental factors, and subjective sleep sufficiency. The subjects were 65,528 Korean adolescents(male: 33,803, female: 31,725), who were derived from the 12th Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey 2016 in South Korea. As a result, the prevalence of the subjective sleep sufficiency in this study was 33.4% male and 19.5% female. The subjective sleep sufficiency was affected by the depression experience, suicidal ideation, school achievement, feeling of stress, feeling of happiness, subjective health status, alcohol experience, smoking experience, substance experience, allergic rhinitis, and atopic dermatitis in individual factors; economic status, educational level of parents and living arrangement in family factors; school grade, school type and emotional support in environmental factors in both males and females. In individual factors, breakfast eating and asthma affected the male's subjective sleep sufficiency and physical activity affected the female's. The mental health of the individual factors was the most influential factor in adolescent's subjective sleep sufficiency. Therefore, nursing intervention to improve Korean adolescent's subjective sleep sufficiency should be applied considering gender differences.
Supported by : 청주대학교
- H. S. Song, Y. M. Park, M. Nam, L. Kim, "Sleep Patterns of Middle and High School Students in Seoul", Sleep Medicine and Psychophysiology, vol. 7, no. 1 pp. 51-59, 2000.
- J. S. Lim, C. H. Yang, "Relationship between Sports Confidence and Class Satisfaction according to Adolescents' Participation in Marine Sports", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 6, no. 4 pp. 169-176, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.169 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.169
- E. S. Shin, "Relationship between Self-Perceived Psychosocial Stress and Depressive Symptoms among Male High School Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 7 pp. 45-56, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.45
- O. S. Cho, J. N. Paik, "The Effect of Parent's Neglect on Adolescents' Sexual-Materials Addiction in the Times of Convergence : Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Self-Identity", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 13, no. 4 pp. 349-356, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.349
- K. H. Kim, "Mediating Effects of Mobile Phone Dependence on Sleep Length through Depression and School Maladjustment in High School Students", Journal of School Social Work, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 87-114, 2015. https://doi.org/10.20993/SSW.32.4
- G. J. Sohn, H. J. Kim, S. H. Kang, M. H. Lim, H. G. Chung, J. H. Choi, T. Y. Kim, H. So, "Sleep Patterns and Predictors of Daytime Sleepiness in High School Students", Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 426-433, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2014.53.6.426 https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2014.53.6.426
- P. W. Mercer, S. L. Merritt, J. M. Cowell, "Differences in Reported Sleep Need among Adolescents", Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 259-263, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(98)00037-8
- C. K. Yang, J. K. Kim, S. R. Patel, J. H. Lee, "Age-related Changes in Sleep/Wake Patterns among Korean Teenagers", Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 1 (supplement), pp. 250-256, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-0815G
- T. Shochata, M. Cohen-Zionb, O. Tzischinskyc, "Functional Consequences of Inadequate Sleep in Adolescents: A Systematic Review", Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 75-87, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2013.03.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2013.03.005
- J. A. Coulombe, G. J. Reid, M. H. Boyle, Y. Racine, "Sleep Problems, Tiredness, and Psychological Symptoms among Healthy Adolescents", Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 25-35, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsq028 https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsq028
- J. G. Lee, J. H. Kang, S. K. Rhie, K. Y. Chae, "Impact of Sleep Duration on Emotional Status in Adolescents", Journal of Korea child neurology society, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 100-110, 2013.
- G. Curcioa, M. Ferraraa, L. De Gennaroa, "Sleep Loss, Learning Capacity and Academic Performance", Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 323-337, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2005.11.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2005.11.001
- H. J. Yun, Effect of Stress and Sleep Quality on Mental Health of Adolescents", Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 98-106, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2016.29.2.98 https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2016.29.2.98
- H. J. Kwon, H. N. Yang, J. W. Oh, H. J. Maeng, Y. S. Kim, "The Association with Physical Activity and Subjective Sleep Satisfaction in Korean Adolescents: the 9th Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 119-131, 2015.
- H. J. Park, "Effects of Sleep Duration on Suicidal Ideation in Korean Adolescents", The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1-9, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.1.1 https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.1.1
- K. M. Kim, Y. S. Youm, "Sleep Duration and Suicidal Impulse of Korean Adolescents : Weekday/Weekend Sleep Duration Effects and Gender Difference", International Journal of Contents, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 314-325, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.12.314
- H. K. Song, M. H. Jeong, D. J. Sung, J. K. Jung, J. S. Choi, Y. L. Jang, J. S. Lee, "Internet Addiction in Adolescents and its Relation to Sleep and Depression", Sleep Medicine and Psychophysiology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 100-108, 2010.
- T. Olds, C. Maher, S. Blunden, L. Matricciani, "Normative Data on the Sleep Habits of Australian Children and Adolescents", Sleep, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1381-1388, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/33.10.1381
- O. Tzischinsky, T. Shochat, "Eveningness, Sleep Patterns, Daytime Functioning, and Quality of Life in Israeli Adolescents", Chronobiology International, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 338-343, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.3109/07420528.2011.560698 https://doi.org/10.3109/07420528.2011.560698
- M. Moore, H. L. Kirchmer, D. Drotar, N. Johnson, C. Rosen, S. Redlines, "Correlates of Adolescent Sleep Time and Variability in Sleep Time: the Role of Individual and Health Related Characteristics" Sleep Medicine, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 239-245, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2010.07.020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2010.07.020
- K. F. Chung, M. M. Cheung, "Sleep-Wake Patterns and Sleep Disturbance among Hong Kong Chinese Adolescents", Sleep, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 185-194, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/31.2.185
- R. E. Robert, H. T. Duong, "Depression and Insomnia among Adolescents: A Prospective Perspective", Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 66-71, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2012.11.049 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2012.11.049
- K. E. Pasch, M. N. Laska, L. A. Lytle, S. G. Moe, "Adolescent Sleep, Risk Behaviors, and Depressive Symptoms: are they linked?", American Journal of Health Behavior, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 237-248, 2010.
- T. R. Goldseein, J. A. Bridge, D. A. Brent, "Sleep Disturbance Preceding Completed Suicide in Adolescents", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 84-91, 2008. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.76.1.84 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.76.1.84
- C. D. Catrett, J. F. Gaultney, "Possible Insomnia Predicts Some Risky Behaviors among Adolescents When Controlling for Depressive Symptoms", The Journal of Genetic Psychology, vol. 170, no. 4, pp. 287-309, 2009. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1080/00221320903218331 https://doi.org/10.1080/00221320903218331
- D. W. Beebe, D. Rose, R. Amin, "Attention, Learning, and Arousal of Experimentally Sleep-Restricted Adolescents in A Simulated Classroom", Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 523-525, 2010. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.03.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.03.005
- K. K. Mak, S. Y. Ho, G. N. Thomas, W. S. Lo, D. K. Cheuk, Y. K. Lai, T. H. Lam, "Smoking and Sleep Disorders in Chinese Adolescents" Sleep Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 268-273, 2010. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2009.07.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2009.07.017
- T. S. Olds, C. A. Maher, L. Matricciani, "Sleep Duration or Bedtime? Exploring the Relationship between Sleep Habits and Weight Status and Activity Patterns", Sleep, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 1299-1307, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5665/SLEEP.1266 https://doi.org/10.5665/SLEEP.1266
- J. P. Auvinen, T. H. Tammelin, S. P. Taimela, P. J. Zitting, M. R. Jarvelin, A. M. Taanila, J. I. Karppinen, "Is Insufficient Quantity and Quality of Sleep A Risk Factor for Neck, Shoulder and Low Back Pain? A Longitudinal Study among Adolescents", European Spine Journal, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 641-649, 2010. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-009-1215-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-009-1215-2
- T. Luntamo, A. Sourander, M. Rihko, M. Aromaa, H. Helenius, M. Koskelainen, P. J. McGrath, "Psychosocial Determinants of Headache, Abdominal Pain, and Sleep Problems in A Community Sample of Finnish Adolescents", European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 301-313, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-012-0261-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-012-0261-1
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "The Six Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-Based Survey, 2016", 2016.
- M. H. Park, H. O. Jeon, "Relationships between Health Behaviors, Mental Health and Internet Addiction by Gender Differences among Korean Adolescents", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1283-1293, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1283 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1283
- H. N. Kim, J. S. Kim, S. H. Roh, "Factors Influencing Subjective Happiness among Korean Adolescent: Analysis of 2014 Korean Youth Risk Behavior Survey", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 11 pp. 7656-7666, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7656 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7656
- Kim JT, Shim HS, Jue SB. MBTI Development and Application. Seoul: Korea Psychological Testing Institute, 1995.
- J. Y. Han, H. S. Park, "Prevalence of Allergic Disease and its Related Factors in Korean Adolescent-Using Data from the 2013 Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-Based Survey", Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 155-168, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.155 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.155
- Kim MY, Gu HY, Kwon IS, Kim SH, Kim SO, Kim JS, Kim TI, Song IS, Yun HO, Lee SY, Lee JM, Jang GJ, Jung SE, Cho GC, Cho EJ, Han GH. Pediatric Health Nursing. Paju: Soomoonsa.
- S. Y. Sohn, "Factors Affecting Suicidal Ideation, Suicidal Plan and Suicidal Attempt in Korean Adolescents", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1606-1614, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1606 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1606
- G. Y. Lee, "Factors Influencing Attempted Suicide Among Adolescents in Korea", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 3139-3147, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3139 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3139
- Y. R. Kim, J. H. Sang, M. R. An, "Emotional Stress, Dietary Attitude, and Nutrient Intake according to BMI and Sex of Middle School Students in Daegu, Kyungpook", Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 633-655, 2011. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2011.15.3.633
- B. I. Lee, "Association between Sleep Duration and Body Mass Index among South Korean Adolescents", Korean Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 16-23, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2015.15.1.16 https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2015.15.1.16
- J. Y. Yoo, K. M. Kim, "The Effect of Physical Activities on the Mental Health in Korean Middle School Adolescents: Based on the Web-Based Survey on Adolescents Health Behavior from 2013", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 395-405, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.395
- O. H. Lee, "The Influence of Life Stress, Ego-Resilience and Social Support on Psychological Well-Being among College Students", Korean journal of youth studies, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 29-57, 2012.
- J. E. Hwang, J. H. Kim, "The Structural Relationships among Social Support, Career Maturity, Academic Motivation, and Aggression of Adolescents", Korean Journal of Counseling, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 385-408, 2015.
- C. H. Jung, D. H. Ahn, "Relations of Adolescents' Social support, social responsibility, and school adjustment" Korean journal of youth studies, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 381-408, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2016.09.23.9.381 https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2016.09.23.9.381
- C. H. Hong, H. O. Rho, S. H. Song, "The Sexual Maturity Rating of Adolescent Boys and Girls in Korea", Journal of Korean Pediatric Society, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 193-198, 1994.
- M. H. Sung, K. S. Joo, "Relationships among Attitudes toward Menstruation, Peri-Menstrual Symptoms, and Coping in Adolescent Girls", Korean Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 106-114, 2011.
- A. J. Barber, V. A. Tischler, E. Healy, "Consumer Satisfaction and Child Behaviour Problems in Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services", Journal of Child Health Care, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 9-21, 2006. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1177/1367493506060200 https://doi.org/10.1177/1367493506060200
- Adolescent Sleep Working Group, Committee on Adolescence, and Council on School Health, "Policy Statement School Start Times for Adolescents", Pediatrics, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 642-649, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-1697
- S. O. Shin, J. Park, "Converged Association between Suicidal Ideation and Neighborhood Environment among Some Adolescents", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 6, no. 6 pp. 271-277, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.271 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.271
- M. S. Oh, "A Study on the Effects of Parenting Attitudes on School Adjustment in Middle School Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 6, no. 4 pp. 197-203, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.197 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.197
- Y. S. Moon, "Effects of Perception of Marital Conflict and Child Rearing Attitude on Child Abuse and Emotional Maladjustment Behavior in Children", Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, vol. 17, no. 1 pp. 22-30, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.1.22 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.1.22
- K. L. Knutson, D. S. Lauderdale, " Sociodemographic and Behavioral Predictors of Bed Time and Wake Time among US Adolescents Aged 15 to 17 Years", The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 154, no. 3, pp. 426-430.e1 , 2009. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2008.08.035 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2008.08.035
- K. I. Choi, "An Effect of Sleeping Time on School Adaptation Culture, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 126-166, 2012.of Youths: Mediated by Depression and Ability of Seif-Protection", Forum for Youth