- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Forging Die Design for Vent Forming of Square Cup Battery Case
사각 컵 배터리 케이스 바닥 벤트 성형을 위한 단조 금형 설계
- Lee, Sang-Hoon (Department of Metal Mold Design Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Kwon, Soon-Ho (Department of Metal Mold Design Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Chung, Hoon (Sangsin EDP) ;
- Hong, Seokmoo (Department of Metal Mold Design Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2017.03.02
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
The demand for electric motor fuel cells has surged in the automotive industry, leading to a recent increase in the demand for square aluminum cans used as fuel cell battery casings. The air vent located on the bottom of the rectangular battery casing prevents large explosions by intermittent pressure release prior to the accumulation of abnormally high pressures. Conventionally, the square cup battery casing is produced via six-step deep drawing, with the outer shape of the vent being manufactured by welding to the square battery casing. On the other hand, this study directly incorporated the air vent outlet into the bottom surface of the rectangular casing. The product of a coupled finite element analysis technique applying the thickness and contour generated from the square cup multi-step deep drawing formation analysis was used as the forging input shape. The results yielded increased prediction accuracy and the advanced prediction of defects, such as swelling and fracture. Based on the results of the initial analyses, two of the generated forging shapes were determined to be suitable, with the optimal forging shape being determined by molding analysis. The results presented here were validated by mold fabrication and a subsequent comparison of the actual and analytical results.
Cold Forging;Finite Element Analysis;Square Cup Battery Case;Vent Forming;Welding process
- J. H. Lim, W. Choi, J. H. Shin, J. Lee, "FE Analysis of Impact Extrusion Process on Lithium Ion Rectangular Battery Case", Proc of Fall Conference on Korea Society for Technology of Plasticity, pp. 192-195, October, 2014.
- T. Ohsaki, T. Kishi, T. Kuboki, N. Takami, N. Shimura, Y. Sato, M. Sekino, A. Satoh, "Overcharge Reaction of Lithium-ion Batteries", Journal of Power Sources, vol. 146, pp. 97-100, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.03.105 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.03.105
- M. J. Kang, T. S. Park, C. H. Kim, J. H. Kim, "Laser Welding Characteristics of Aluminum and Copper Sheets for Lithium-ion Batteries", Journal of Welding and Joining, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 58-64, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5781/KWJS.2013.31.6.58
- J. H. Kim, S. Hong, "Process and Die Design of Square Cup Drawing for Wall Thickening", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 5789-5794, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.5789 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.5789
- J. H. Kim, K. H. Lee, Y. J. Lim, B. M. Kim, "Manufacturing Integral Safety Vents in Prismatic Lithium-ion Batteries", Transactions of Materials Processing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 293-298, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.24.4.293 https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.24.4.293
- D. J. Cha, S. S. Kim, W. Y. Byun, S. W. Kang, E. Z. Kim, H. J. Park, "Combination of Deep Drawing and Forging Process for Forming Drum Shape Product Having Thickness Variation", Transactions of Materials Processing, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 439-443, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2005.14.5.439 https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2005.14.5.439
- B. Preston, BMW Unveils i3 Electric Car, The New York Times, 2013, wheels.blogs.nytimes.com, 2016.
- Tom Moloughney, The 2017 BMW i3: 94 Ah Cells and a 125 Mile EPA Range Rating?, 2013, bmwi3.blogspot.kr, 2016.
- T. W. Ku, C. S. Park, B. S. Kang, "A Study on Initial Blank Design and Modification for Rectangular Case Forming with Extreme Aspect Ratio", Transactions of Materials Processing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 307-318, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2004.13.4.307 https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2004.13.4.307
- H. J. Bang, C. G. Cho, C. H. Han, "A Study on the Cold Forging Processes of a Small Size Part in the Mobile Phone", Proc of Fall Conference on Korea Society for Technology of Plasticity, pp. 403-405, May 2010.
- LS-dyna User manual, 2015.
- Y. Kim, T. W. Ku, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, "Numerical Approach to Development of Rectangular Section Cup Used for Battery of Hybrid Car", proc of spring conference on Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 128-132, Jun. 2006.
- AFDEX User manual, 2015.