- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Influence of the Clinical Nurses' Emotional Labor and Resourcefulness on the Turnover Intention
병원간호사의 감정노동과 자원동원성이 이직 의도에 미치는 영향
- Kang, So-Ra (Division of Nursing Science, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Yoonjung (The Graduate School, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Seo, Hyung-eun (Department of Nursing, Kyeongbuk College of Health) ;
- Bang, Yun-Yi (The Graduate School, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Lee, Gunjeong (Division of Nursing Science, Ewha Womans University)
- 강소라 (이화여자대학교 간호학부) ;
- 김윤정 (이화여자대학교 대학원 간호학과) ;
- 서형은 (경북보건대학교 간호학과) ;
- 방윤이 (이화여자대학교 대학원 간호학과) ;
- 이건정 (이화여자대학교 간호학부)
- Received : 2017.03.13
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This is predictive correlational study to identify the influence of emotional labor and resourcefulness on turnover intention among clinical nurses. The participants were 138 clinical nurses and the data were collected by an online survey using a self-administered questionnaire from 10th to 17th April, 2016.The collected data were analyzed using SPSS program through t-test, One-way ANOVA, Scheffe's test and multiple linear regression. In the results, there were differences in emotional labor by age, marital status, job position, clinical career, shift work, in resourcefulness by gender, clinical career, and in turnover intention by age. As a result of multiple linear regression, emotional labor and resourcefulness were selected as significant related variables affecting nurse's turnover intentions. These factors accounted for 3.7% of turnover intention, which necessitates the consideration of a specific plan to reduce emotional labor and increase resourcefulness for decreasing clinical nurse's turnover intention.
Emotional labor;Hospital;Nurse;Resourcefulness;Turnover intention
- Statistics Korea. Year Employment Statistics. In. Daejeon: Statistics Korea, 2016
- S. J. Moon, S. S. Han, "A Predictive Model on Turnover Intention of Nurses in Korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 41, no. 5, pp.633-641, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.633
- J. K. Kim, M. J. Kim, "A Review of Research on Hospital Nurses' Turnover Intention", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 538-550, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.538 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.538
- M. Y. Kim, E. S. Do, "Comparison of Internal Marketing, Job Satisfaction and Customer Orientation of Nurses by Size of Medical Care Institution; Smallmedium Hospitals and General Hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 56-66, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.56 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.56
- I. S. Kim, "The Role of Self-Efficacy and Social Support in the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Burn out, Turn over Intention among Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 515-526, 2009.
- H. A. Nam, "Exploration of the Relations with Emotional Labor of Clinical Nurses, Social Support, and Job Satisfaction", Korea Society for Wellness, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 69-79, 2014.
- R. E. Viator, "The association of formal and informal public accounting mentoring with role stress and related job outcomes", Accounting, Organizations and Society, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 73-93, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-3682(00)00002-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-3682(00)00002-7
- W. H. Mobley, R. W. Griffeth, H. H. Hand, B. M. Meglino, "Review and conceptual analysis of the employee turnover process", Psychological bulletin, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 493, 1979. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.86.3.493 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.86.3.493
- R. P. Tett, J. P. Meyer, "Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, turnover intention, and turnover: path analyses based on meta-analytic findings", Personnel Psychology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 259-293, 1993. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1993.tb00874.x
- A. C. Bluedorn, "The theories of turnover: Causes, effects, and meaning", Research in the Sociology of Organizations, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 75-128, 1982.
- M. Rosenbaum, "A schedule for assessing self-control behaviors: Preliminary findings", Behavior Therapy, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 109-121, 1980. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(80)80040-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(80)80040-2
- A. R. Hochschild, "The managed heart : commercialization of human feeling", Berkeley: University of California Press, 1983.
- G. Msiska, P. Smith, T. Fawcett, B. M. Nyasulu, "Emotional labour and compassionate care: what's the relationship?", Nurse Education Today, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1246-1252, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.03.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.03.002
- S. K. Cha, Y. S. Shin,K. Y. Kim, B. Y. Lee, S. Y. Ahn, H. S. Jang, E. J. Kwon, D. H. Kim, "The Degrees of Emotional Labor and the Its Related Factors among Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 23-35, 2009.
- S. R. Suh, Y. I. Park, S. Kim, I. J. Kim, M. O. Gu, Y. H. Yang, E. N. Lee, S. J. Park, E. O. Choi, D. S. Lee, I. s. Lee, E. O. Lee, "Resourcefulness : A Concept Analysis", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 329-340, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19126.96.36.1999
- M. Rosenbaum, N. Parmon, "helplessness and resourcefulness in coping with epilepsy", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 244-253, 1984. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.52.2.244 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.52.2.244
- K. O. Park, J. K. Kim, " A Study on Experience of Transition from New Clinical Nurse to Competent Step", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 594-605, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.594 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.594
- M. Rosenbaum, "Learned resourcefulness as a behavioral repertoire for the self-regulation of internal events: issues & speculation", New York: Springer Publishing, 1983.
- H. S. Lee, J. W. Oak, "Impact of Resourcefulness and Communication Style on Nursing Performance in Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 253-260, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.253 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.253
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, M. S. Jeon, "Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behavior among Hospital Registered Nurses: Mood States, Resourcefulness, and Health Perception", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 198-208, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.198 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.198
- J. Y. Hong, "Development and Validation of the Emotional Labor Scale for Nurses", Unpublished Doctoral thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea, 2016.
- S. L. Suh, "An effect of self-care education and level of resourcefulness on active coping in patients with chemotherapy", Unpublished Doctoral thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 1996.
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, "Development and Testing of a Nurse Turnover Intention Scale (NTIS)", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 256-266, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.256 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.256
- Y. H, Jeong, C. S. Lee, H. Choe, J. Y. Park, "Emotional labor, job satisfaction and turnover intention of nurses in the regional general hospital", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 708-719, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.01.708 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.01.708
- J, Hur, H. C.. Lee, "An effect of the job characteristics and emotional labor on the burnout for the medical tourism industry employees -focusing on clinical nurses-", Sightseeing Research, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 367-387, 2015.
- S. E. Park, "The effects of emotional dissonance on the employee's job attitudes and the moderating role of job autonomy and social supports", Korean management review, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 379-405, 2009.
- M. R. Nam. "Resourcefulness and health promoting behaviors of the elderly", Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam University, Daejeon, Korea, 2004.
- K. O. Kim, Y. C. Cho, "The Relationships between Emotional Labour and Depressive Symptoms Among Nurses in University Hospitals", The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 3794-3803, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3794
- S. M. Park, O. I. Park, H. Moon, "The Effect of the Emotional Intelligence on the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Turnover Intention of the General Hospital Nurses", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 540-564, 2013.
- H. J. Kim, E. J. Yeun, "Health Promoting Behaviors in Hospital Registered Nurses: Focused on Resourcefulness", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 3165-3178, 2010.
- E. J. Yeun, Y. M. Kwon, M. S. Jeon, J. W. An, "Factors Influencing Hospital Nurses' Turnover Intention: A Cross-sectional Survey", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 94-106, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.01.094
- H. K. Jang, "The effects of communication type, job stress, and stress coping on turnover intension of nurse", Unpublished Master's thesis, Nambu University, Gwangju, Korea, 2015.
- S. H. Kim, M. A. Lee, "Effects of Emotional Labor and Communication Competence on Turnover Intention in Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 333-343, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.332
- S. Y. Son, J. S. Choi, "Effect of Job Embeddedness and Job Satisfaction on Turnover Intention in Nurses", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 27 no. 2, pp. 180-187, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.2.180 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.2.180
- I. D. Song, S. K. Cho, "The Effects of Survey Mode on Social Desirability Bias: A Comparison of Telephone, Face-to-Face and Online Survey Responses", Survey Research, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 165-199, 2013.
- E. J. Oh, "Relationship among verbal abuse, job satisfaction, burn out and turn over in nurses working acute hospitals", Unpublished Master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, 2010.
- S. J. Han, "Relationship between Moral Distress and Turnover Intention among Hospital Nurses", The Korea Contents Society, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 276-284, 2012.
- S. R. Suh, H. J. Kim, "The Resourcefulness and the Health-Promoting Behaviors of Cancer Patients", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 112-121, 2000.
- H. Y. Kim, E. J. Yeun. "The Relationships between Health Promoting Lifestyle, Resourcefulness, and Perceived Health Status in Hospital Nurses", Jorunal of Korean Nursing Reasearch, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 17-26, 2010.
- J. Y. Kim, "Relationship among Emotional Labor, Burnout, Social Support and Turnover Intention of Nurse Practitioners in terms of Interdisciplinary Perspectives", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 331-342, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.331
- M. A. Lee, E. J. Kim. "Influences of Hospital Nurses' perceived reciprocity and Emotional Labor on Quality of Nursing Service and Intent to Leave", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 364-374, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.3.364 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.3.364
- E. G. Harris, "The Effects of Service Worker Job Resourcefulness on Burnout, Intentions to Leave and Job Satisfaction: A Preliminary Analysis", Society for Marketing Advances Proceedings, pp. 160-161, 2014.