- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the Site Specific Ground Response in Korean Urban Site
국내 도시지역의 지반응답특성 거동 평가
- Shin, Dea-Sub (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Hu-Seung (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2017.04.21
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
When an earthquake occurs, it is necessary to evaluate the site-specific ground response while considering ground characteristics in seismic design. The design seismic force of Korean seismic design criteria is borrowed from the Uniform Building Code(UBC-1997). However, the criteria are based on the ground characteristics of the United States, which are different from the ground characteristics in Korea, and using them could cause over-or under-designing. Therefore, it is important to develop a proper design response spectrum for Korean ground characteristics. In this study, 158 ground sites in Korean urban areas were selected and compared to those in the western part of the United States, and their site-specific ground responses were analyzed. The classification standard in the seismic design criteria classifies the 158 sites into 37 sites, 107 sites, and 14 sites. Using 7 earthquake inputs, the criteria were compared for each group.The Korean design response spectrum underestimates the amplification of the short-period range and overestimates the amplification in the long-period range. There were large differences in the results of the and sites,which account for 77 percent of the 158 sites. Therefore, there is a need to modify the amplification factor in the Korean seismic criteria to properly reflect Korean ground characteristics.
Design Response Spectrum;Ground Conditions;Ground Response;Site Specific;Ground Characteristics;UBC-1997
- International Conference of Building Offisials, "Uniform Building Code" Califonia, USA, 1997.
- Dobry, R. Vucetic, M. "State-of-the-Art Report: Dynamic Properties and Seismic Response of Soft Clay Deposits" Proceedings International Symposium on Geotechnical Engineering of Soft Soils, vol. 106, no. GT, pp. 720-724, 1987.
- Yegian, M.K. Ghahraman, V.G. Gazetas, G. "1988 Armenia Earthquake, I: Seismological, Geotechnical, and Structural Overview." Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division, ASCE, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 119, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1994)120:1(1)
- Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Integrated DB Center of National Geotechnical Information: www.geoinfo.or.kr
- Zen, K. Yamazaki, H. Umehara, Y. "Experimental study on shear modulus and damping ratio of natural deposits for seismic response analysis", Report of the Port and Harbour Research Institute, pp. 26, 41-113, 1987.
- Korea Infrastructure Safety and Technology Corporation, "Seismic Capacity Evaluation of the Structure : Foundation and Ground", 2004.
- Ministry of Construction Transportation, "Study of seismic design standard (II)", Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 1997.
- Idriss, I. M. Sun, J. I. "User's Manual for SHAKE91," Center for Geotechnical Modeling, Department of Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1992.
- Seed, H.B. Idriss, I.M. "Soil moduli and damping factors for dynamic response analyses", Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, Report no. EERC, pp. 70-10, 1970.
- Kim, D. S. Choo, Y. W. "Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Cohesionless Soils in Korea Using Resonant Column Tests", Korean Geotechnical Society, vol. 17 no. 5, pp. 115-128, 2001.