- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
How Socio-economic Factors, Relationships, Daily Life, and Future Orientation Affect Happiness for College Students
대학생의 행복에 영향을 미치는 사회경제적 요인, 관계, 일상생활, 미래지향성에 관한 연구
- Jung, Jeaah (Dharma College, Dongguk University) ;
- Lee, Song Yi (Dharma College, Dongguk University) ;
- Shim, Tae Eun (Competency Develpment Center, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2017.03.20
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This research aims to gain a better understanding of college students' thoughts on what factors make them happy and contribute to enhancing their happiness. We focused on the relationship between their self-assessed happiness and various factors affecting happiness, such as their socio-economic status, relationships with others, future orientation, and daily activities. Survey data were collected from October, 2014 to December, 2014 at a South Korean University. The final total number of respondents was 474 from 500 distributed questionnaires, after excluding 26 responses with missing values and unanswered items. The response was comprised of 247 male students, and 227 female students, and of 268 freshmen, 145 sophomores, 35 juniors, and 26 senior students. Factors that were statistically significant were gender, year, average cost of leisure, appearance satisfaction, conversation hour with parents, having girlfriend/boyfriend, sexual experience, number of friends, satisfaction with major, Grade Point Average (GPA), studying hours, time for self-improvement, reading hours, use of smart phone hours, number of daily meals, exercise hour, schedule management and future goal setting. This research was conducted utilizing only data from one university and so it may not be appropriate to generalize the results. Moreover, some of the variables are not in line with previous studies on happiness. Some other mediating variables may exist. Therefore, following research should be conducted.
College students;Daily life;Future Orientation;Happiness;Relationship;Socio-economic
- M. E. Seligman, K. Reivich, L. Jaycox, J. Gillham,A. D. Kidman, "Optimistic Child", New York, Houghton-Mifflin, 1995.
- D .E. Stull, "A dyadic approach to predicting well-being in later life", Research of Aging, vol 10, no. 1, pp. 81-101, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027588101004 https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027588101004
- B. Headey, R. Veenhoven, A. Wearing, "Top - down versus bottom-up theories of subjective well-being", Social Indicators Research, vol. 24, no.1, pp. 81-100, 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00292652 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00292652
- M. Holder, B. Coleman, "The contribution of temperament, popularity, and physical appearance to children's happiness", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 9, no.2, pp. 279-302, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-007-9052-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-007-9052-7
- Statistics Korea. Suicidal impulse of adolescents. Paper for children-adolescents well-being, 2016.
- D. Myers, E. Diener, "Who is happy?", Psychological science, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 10-19. 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.1995.tb00298.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.1995.tb00298.x
- S. K. Kim, Y. S. Chang, H. S. Cho, M. S. Cha, "A study of determinants and indicators of happiness among Koreans", Research paper 2008-13, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2008.
- J. B. Jung, "A study on determinants of happiness among Koreans and its institutional management", Research paper 26. Korea Institute of Public Administration, 2011.
- W. Wilson, "Correlates of avowed happiness", Psychological Bulletin, vol. 67, no.4, pp. 294-306. 1967. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/h0024431 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0024431
- E. Diener, "Subjective Well-being", Psychological Bulletin, vol. 95, no.3, pp. 542-575, 1984. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- C. D. Ryff, C. L. M. Keyes, "The structure of psychological well-being revisited", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 69, no.4, pp. 719-727. 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1999
- E. Diener, E. Suh, R. E. Lucas, H.L. Smith, "Subjective well-being: three decades of progress", Psychological Bulletin, vol. 125, no.2, pp. 189-216. 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.125.2.276
- D. Kahneman, A. B. Krueger, "Developments in the Measurement of subjective well-being", The Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 20, pp. 3-24. 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1257/089533006776526030
- N. P. White, "A brief history of happiness". UK: Blackwell Publishing. 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470690888
- O. D. Duncan, "Toward social reporting: Next steps". New York: Russell Sage Publication, 1969.
- S. Han, H. Kim, E.S. Lee, H.S. Lee, "The contextual and compositional association of social capital and subjective happiness: A multilevel analysis from Seoul, South Korea", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 111. no.1, pp. 1183-1200, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-012-9375-x
- S. M. Kwon, "Contemporary Abnormal Psychology", Seoul: Hakjisa. 2013.
- UNSDSN(United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network), http://worldhappiness.report, 2016.
- E. Diener, R. E. Lucas, "Explaining differences in societal levels of happiness: Relative standards, need fulfilment, culture, and evaluation theory", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol.1, no.1, pp. 41-78. 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010076127199 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010076127199
- M. S. Woo, "A study on the perspective of happiness and demographic differences", The Journal of Welfare Administration, vol. 28, pp. 51-72, 2012.
- C. D. Ryff, B. H.Singer, "Know thyself and become what you are: a eudaimonic approach to psychological well-being", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol.9, pp. 13-39, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-006-9019-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-006-9019-0
- S. Lyubomirsky, K. M. Sheldon, D. Sckade, "Pursuing happiness: The architecture of sustainable change", The Review of General Psychology, vol. 9,no. 2, pp. 111-131, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26188.8.131.52 https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26184.108.40.206
- J. W. Hwang, K. H. Kim, "The relationship between orientations to happiness and subjective well-being among university students", The Korean Journal of Counselling, vol. 10, no.1, pp. 57-71, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.1.200903.57 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.1.200903.57
- A. M. Dockery, "The happiness of young Australians: Empirical evidence on the roles of labour market experience", The Economic Record, vol. 81, pp. 322-335, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4932.2005.00272.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4932.2005.00272.x
- P. M. Keith, "Work, retirement and well-being among unmarried men and women", The Gerontologist, vol. 25, no.4, pp. 410-416, 1985. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/25.4.410 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/25.4.410
- B. H. Sung, S. A. Yoon, "Definition of happiness and its determinants", Journal of brain education, vol.6, pp. 103-134, 2010.
- R. Larson, "Thirty years of research on the subjective well-being of older Americans", The Gerontologist, vol. 33, no.1, pp. 109-125, 1978. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/33.1.109
- J. I. Park, C. W. Park, H. J. Seo, Y. S. Youm, "Collection of Korean child well-being index and its international comparison with other OECD countries", The Korean Journal of Sociology, vol. 44, no.2, pp. 121-154, 2010.
- D. Hamermesh, J. Abrevaya, "Beauty is the promise of happiness", European Economic Review, vol. 64, pp. 351-368, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2013.09.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2013.09.005
- C. D. Ryff, "Happiness is everything, or is it? Exploration on the meaning of psychological wellbeing", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 57, no.6, pp. 1069-1081, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- N. Y. Yu, Y.J. Jeong, B. A. Kim, Y. S. Chong, H.J. Shin,"An exploratory study on the concept of happiness in Korean undergraduate students", Korean Studies, vol. 55, pp. 197-230, 2015.
- A. Abbey, D. J. Abramis, R. D. Caplan, "Effects of different sources of social support and social conflict on emotional well-being", Basic and Applied Social Psychology, vol. 6, no.2, pp. 111-129, 1985. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324834basp0602_2 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324834basp0602_2
- S. Cohen, T. A. Wills, "Stress, social support and the buffering hypothesis", Psychological Bulletin, vol. 98, no.2, pp. 301-357, 1985. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.98.2.310
- G. Mccullough, S. Huebner, J. E. Laughlin, "Life event, Self-concept, and adolescents' positive well-being", Psychology in the schools, vol. 37, no 3, pp. 281-290, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6807(200005)37:3<281::AID-PITS8>3.0.CO;2-2 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6807(200005)37:3<281::AID-PITS8>3.0.CO;2-2
- N. Park, "The role of subjective well-being in positive youth development", The Annals of the Academy of the Political and Social Science, vol. 591, no 1, pp. 25-39, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0002716203260078 https://doi.org/10.1177/0002716203260078
- E. K. Seo, "Subjective well-being and Current Research Trend, Annual Conference Book", Korean Clinical Psychology Association, pp. 3-18, 2007.
- M. R. Lee, "Daily contextual variations in levels of adolescent happiness", Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology. vol. 16, no 16, pp. 193-209, 2003.
- J. Y. Shin, T. Y. Jung, K. S. Chun, "Development of a happiness scale for the Korean college students", Annual conference paper 1, Korean Psychological Association, pp. 412-413, 2007.
- M. E. Poole, G. H. Cooney, "Orientation to the future: a comparison of adolescents in Australia and Singapore", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, vol. 16, no 16, pp. 129-151, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02138916 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02138916
- E. Trommsdorff, H. Lamm, R. W. Schmidt, "A longitudinal study of adolescents' future orientation (time perspective)", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 131-147, 1979. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02087616 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02087616
- R. Fricke, "Orientation towards the future by Liberian school children: A contribution to the understanding of young West Africans", Human Development, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 113-126, 1979. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000272432 https://doi.org/10.1159/000272432
- M. E. Poole, "Youth: expectation and transitions",Victoria: Routledge & Kegan Paul. 1983.
- G. J. Boniecki, "Is man interested in his future?", International Journal of Psychology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 59-64, 1977. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00207597708247375 https://doi.org/10.1080/00207597708247375
- L. Borghi, "Youth perspective on the future", Comparative Education, vol. 19, pp. 269-283, 1983. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0305006830190304 https://doi.org/10.1080/0305006830190304
- P. Hills, M. Argyle, "The Oxford Questionnaire: a compact scale for the measurement psychological well-being", Personality and Individual Difference, vol. 33, no.7, pp. 1073-1082, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(01)00213-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(01)00213-6
- Y. W. Choi, S. J. Lee, "The influence of individual differences in emotional awareness on mental health of college students", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 9, no. 4, pp. 887-901, 2004.
- M. Argyle, J. Crossland, "Dimensions of positive emotions", The British Journal of Psychology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 127-137, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8309.1987.tb00773.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8309.1987.tb00773.x
- M. S. Kim, H. W Kim, K. H. Cha, J. Y. Lim, Y. S. Han, "Exploration of the structure of happy life and development of the happy life scale among Korean adults", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 415-442, 2003.
- J. D. Kim, "Resilience of adolescent children with problemed drinking parents." Unpublished Master's Thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 2002.
- C. L. Jew, K. E. Green, J. Kroger, "Development of validation of a measure of resiliency", Measurement and Evaluation in Counselling and Development, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 75-89, 1999.
- P. J. Mrazek, D. A. Mrazek, "Resilience in child maltreatment victims: a conceptual exploratio", Child Abuse & Neglect, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 357-366, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(87)90009-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(87)90009-3
- S. Sun, J. Chen, M. Johannesson, P. Kind, K. Burstrom, "Subjective well-being and its association with subjective health status, age, sex, region, and socioeconomic characteristics in a Chinese population study", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 833-873, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-014-9611-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-014-9611-7
- J. O'Rourke, M. Cooper, "Lucky to be happy: a study of happiness in Australian primary students", Australian Journal of Educational & Developmental Psychology, vol. 10, pp. 94-107, 2010,
- M. Simons, S. Peeters, M. Janssens, J. Lataster, N. Jacobs, "Does age make a difference? Age as moderator in the association between Time perspective and happiness", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1-11, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-016-9806-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-014-9566-8
- L. Lu, C. H. Hu, "Personality, leisure experience and happiness", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 325-342. 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-005-8628-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-005-8628-3
- W. Y. Shim, "Mediation Effects of self=esteem in the relationship between appearance satisfaction and happiness of elementary school students", the Journal of Elementary education, vol. 25. no. 25, pp. 31-51, 2012.
- E. T. Barker, M. H. Bornstein, "Global self-esteem, appearance satisfaction, and self-reported dieting in early adolescence", The Journal of early adolesence, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 205-224, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431609332936
- M. K. Kim, "A phenomenological study on university students' happiness experience", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1-34, 2011.
- Y. J. Kwon, "Factor influencing happiness of university students and their parents: With specific focus on relationship among emotional support and self-efficacy", Unpublished Master's Thesis, Inha University, Incheon, 2008.
- H. P. H. Chow, "Life satisfaction among university students in a Canadian Prairie City: A multivariate analysis", Social Indicators Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 139-150, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-004-7526-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-004-7526-0
- M. H. Kim, Psychological characteristics of people as attitude of cohabitation in college student. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul, 2009.
- E. Arampatzi, M. Burger, N. Novik, "Social Network Sites, Individual Social Capital and Happiness", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 17, pp. 1-24, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2853339 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-014-9566-8
- H. Cheng, A. Furnham, "Personality, peer relations, and self-confidence as predictors of happiness and loneliness", Journal of Adolescence, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 327-339, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.2002.0475 https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.2002.0475
- T. E. Shim, S. Y. Lee, "The effect of parental attachment and smart phone use on the college life adjustment of freshmen", Korean Journal of Family Welfare, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 471-487, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13049/kfwa.2014.19.3.471 https://doi.org/10.13049/kfwa.2014.19.3.471
- Y. J. Lee, "The efforts for becoming happy of college students", Asian Journal of Education, vol. 12, pp. 63-84, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2011.12.2.004 https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2011.12.2.004
- M. Laguna, G. Alessandri, G. V. Caprara, "How do you Feel About this Goal? Goal-Related Affect, Positive Orientation, and Personal Goal Realization in the Family Domain", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 17, pp. 1-16, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-016-9750-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-014-9566-8