- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
College Students' Delayed Graduation and Employment Achievement : Focusing on the Effects of Employment-Oriented Delay on the Employment Outcomes
대학생의 졸업연기 유형과 취업성과 : 취업목적 휴학의 효과를 중심으로
- Pyoun, Jin-Sook (Dept. of Vocation, Kyonggi University Graduate School)
- 변진숙 (경기대학교 일반대학원 직업학과)
- Received : 2017.05.11
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study examined the effects of college students' voluntary delayed graduation for employment preparation on their employment outcomes. For this purpose, the data were obtained from the 2014 Graduates Occupational Mobility Survey(GOMS). First, the study analyzed the effects of college students' voluntary delayed graduation for employment preparation on their employment status. Second, the study investigated the effect of college students' voluntary delayed graduation for employment preparation on the wage of their first job. The results showed that students who experienced leave for employment preparation were more likely than others to be employed. In addition, those students who delayed their graduation for employment were more likely than others to earn higher wages on their first job. From these findings, this research shows that firms should present specific criteria of recruitment for job applicants. In addition, the colleges should enhance the short term program for work experience during higher education. Finally, the government should intervene in dual labor market to reduce the inequality and decrease the college students' anxiety about their first-job.
Graduates Occupational Mobility Survey;Employment Outcomes;College Student;Voluntary Delayed Graduation for Employment Preparation;Wage of First Job
- Korea Employment Information Service, http://www.keis.or.kr
- The Korea Herald, "The job applicants are getting old", February. 23, 2015. [Online]. Available: http://news.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=20150223000346&md=2015 0223101912_BL
- Statics Korea, http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/3/2/index.board
- H. J. Chu, S. H. Cha, "An Analysis of Factors Affecting Four-Year College Students' Stop-Out", The Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 277-293, 2011.
- K. H. Cho, J. H. Lim, S. J. Song, C. Y. Jyung, J. M. Kim, "Qualitative Study about the Undergraduates' Delayed Graduation as a Voluntary Choice in Seoul", Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 105-128, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2016.48.2.105 https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2016.48.2.105
- K. Y. Kang, S. K. Park, J. K. Lee, "The Consensual Qualitative Research on Graduation Moratorium Experiences of University Students", The Journal of Vocational Education Research, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 31-51, 2015.
- H. J. Kil, Y. M. Choi, "The Effects of Individual and College Characteristics on Graduates Employment Status", The Journal of Vocational Education Research, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1-26, 2014.
- S. Y. Kim, "A Study on Female University Students' Career Preparation", Journal of educational studies, vol. 30, pp. 125-143, 1999.
- S. M. Choe, "The Effect on Employment of Employment Preparation Activities in College Graduates", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 2556-2563, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2556 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2556
- Y. M. Lee, S. Y. Lee, J. Y. Lim, "An Analysis of Art, Music, Sports and Dance Graduates' School-to-Work Transition Preparation and Employment Outcomes", Journal of Social Science, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1-28, 2013.
- J. S. Kim, "The Difference of Pre-employment Activities and Its Effect on Transition of Four-year College Graduates", Journal of educational studies, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 141-165, 2009.
- J. K. Ahn, S. M. Oh, "Declining Returns to Studying Foreign Language Abroad on Labor Market Outcomes", Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 117-139, 2016.
- B. J. Kim, H. J. Seo, "Analysis on Student and University Variables Affecting First Employment of College Graduates", The Journal of Economics and Finance of Education, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 243-268, 2013.
- Y. S. Ahn, J. Y. Jung, Y. S. Kim, "A Qualitative Study on the License Acquisition of University Graduates and Employment: Focus on the Perception of Enterprise Personnels", Journal of Korean HRD Research, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 54-73, 2013.
- H. J. Kwon, Y. H. Lee, "The Effect of Occupational Certification on the Labor Market of the Graduate Youth", The Journal of Vocational Education Research, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 95-111, 2009.
- Statics Korea, http://kostat.go.kr
- S. I. Jo, E. A. Kim, "The Study on the Difference of Awareness about Job Requirements (SPEC) between Human Resources Manager and University Student Preparing for Job Placement", The Journal of Employment and Career, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 41-61, 2014.
- Y. S. Song, "The effects of Work Experience during Higher Education on Employment", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 287-293, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.2.287 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.287
- K. R. Roh, Y. H, Park, S. J. Hur, "The effects of participation in university's career development programs on college graduates' employment, employment status, and job satisfaction", Korean journal of educational research, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 63-92, 2011.
- C. Y. Lee, "The Effect of Working while in College on Educational Outcomes", Journal of Employment and Skills Development, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1-25, 2012.
- S. J. Lee, M. R. Kim, "A Study on Transition of the Labor Market of Internship Workers", Journal of Employment and Skills Development, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-25, 2010.
- K. R. Roh, S. J. Hur, "The Effects of Vocational Training and Intership on Youth Workers' the Economic Outcome and Job Satisfaction", The Journal of Vocational Education Research, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 93-109, 2011.
- G. S. Becker, "Human Capital: A theoretical and empirical analysis with special reference to education, (3rd ed)", University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, pp. 15-28, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7208/chicago/9780226041223.001.0001
- J. Mincer, "Studies in Human Capital, Volume 1", Edward Elgar, England, 1993.
- H. J. Kim, "A study on dual labor market and critical factors affecting welfare benefit gaps between workers in Korea", Yonsei University, MA. Thesis, 2016.
- S. H. Kang, J. K. Ahn, "Stigma Effect of Unemployment of the College Graduates", Association Of Korean Economic Studies, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 201-231, 2010.
- H. D. Kim, "Korean College Student Stopout Experiences and Employment Outcomes", Quarterly Journal of Labor Policy, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 125-151, 2013.
- S. Y. Jeong, K. S. Park, "Employment and Wage Effects of the Duration of Leave of Absence from College", Korean Journal of Labor Economics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 1-27, 2013.
- J. K. Ahn, "The Impact of the Language Study Training abroad on Labor Market Entrance",The Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 203-231, 2009.
- H. J. Chu, "Individual and College Effects on New Graduates", The Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 603-626, 2012.
- H. J. Yoo, T. I. Chung, E. J. Chun, "Labor Market Performance of Economically Active Korean College Graduates Population", Korea Journal of Population Studies, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 49-69, 2014.
- C. K. Chae, T. G. Kim, "Determinants of Employment Status Of University(College) Graduates Youth", The Journal of Vocational Education Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 89-107, 2009.
- C. S. Park, "A Study on the Effect of Overseas Language Training Programs upon the Transition from College to Labor Market", Journal of Employment and Skills Development, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 117-139, 2009.
- M. K. Lee, "Actual Conditions Of Professional Qualification Possessor And Effects Of Professional Qualification Possession On Employment And Wage", Journal of Human Resource Management Research, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 131-149, 2008.
- B. H. Lee, "The effects of Vocational Qualifications on Labor Market Outcomes in Korea", Quarterly Journal of Labor Policy, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 25-48, 2003.