- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Mediation effect of Self-Efficacy on the Relationship between Personality Factors and Stress Coping Strategies in college students -Focus on Neuroticism and Conscientiousness-
대학생의 성격요인과 스트레스 대처방식과의 관계에 대한 자기효능감의 매개효과 -신경증과 성실성을 중심으로-
- Baek, Yu-Mi (Dept. of Education Counseling and Psychology, Graduate School of Cyber, Joongbu University)
- 백유미 (중부대학교 원격대학원 교육상담심리학과)
- Received : 2017.03.07
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this study is to verify the mediating effects of self-efficacy in correlation between conscientiousness and neuroticism among the Big Five personality traits and stress coping strategies. The following two study questions were formulated. Study Question 1: What is the correlation between the Big Five personality traits, stress coping strategies, and self-efficacy Study Question 2: Among the Big Five personality traits, conscientiousness and neuroticism are selected as clinically very meaningful variables that represent mental health in undergraduates. If so, does self-efficacy play a mediating role in the correlation between conscientiousness and neuroticism and stress coping strategies To verify the two study questions, the Big Five personality traits, stress coping strategies scale, and self-efficacy scale were measured for a sample of 462 freshmen attending D University located in Chungcheong. First, according to the results of correlation analysis, neuroticism and self-efficacy showed a negative correlation, and conscientiousness showed a positive correlation. Regarding the Big Five personality traits and stress coping strategies, conscientiousness showed a negative correlation with avoidance-orientation among stress coping strategies. Neuroticism showed a negative correlation with social support and problem solving-orientation among stress coping strategies. Second, according to the results of analyzing the mediating effects of self-efficacy through hierarchical regression analysis, self-efficacy exerted partial mediating effects only in correlation between neuroticism and avoidance-orientation. This study is significant in its anticipation of undergraduates' stress coping, personality factors can be usefully employed as psychological constructs, and particularly, when an undergraduate reveals the neuroticism factor, which is one of the predictors for mental health, and the tendencies of avoidance among stress coping strategies, educational interventions for self-efficacy are needed to reduce their mental stress.
Neurosis;Diligence;Stress Coping Strategies;Self-Efficacy;College students
- Argyle, M., & Lu, L., "Happiness and social skills", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1255-1261, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(90)90152-H https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(90)90152-H
- B. C. Hwang, K. H. Cho, " The Relationships between the Personality on Travel Agency Employee's and Performance in Organizations", Tourism Research, pp. 483-496, 2004.
- Amirkhan, J. H., "A factor analytically derived measure of coping The Coping Strategy Indicator", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 59, pp. 1066-1075, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.116 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1686
- A. Y. Kim, J. E. Cha, "The study on Measuring of self-efficacy", The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 1996.
- Baron, R. M. & D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychology research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations, strategic, and statistical considerations", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- E. B. Kang, D. I. Kim, M. C. Kim, "The Moderating Effect of Coping Style on the relationship between Personality and Academic Procrastination of High School Students : Focus on Conscientiousness and Neuroticism ", The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 201-223, 2013.
- O. J. Lee, "Eysenck's Personality Dimensions and Stress Coping Styles as predictors of School Adjustment in High School Students", The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 77-85, 2003.
- C. Y. Ko, "The Relationship between the School Health Teacher's Perception Levels of Job Stress and Their Coping Strategies by Five Factors of Personalty Traits", Kyung Hee University, Master's Thesis, 2012.
- H. J. Lee, " Five Factors of Personality Traits of Elementary School Teachers and the Relationship between Job Stress Levels and Coping Strategies", University of Incheo, Master's Thesis, 2011.
- O. H. Kim, "A study on the Relationship between Personality Traits by The NEO Personality Assessment System : CS and Coping Styles with Stress in Elementary school Students". Ewha University, Master's Thesis, 2008.
- Kanfe, R., & Zeiss, A. M., "Depression, interpersonal standard setting, and judgments of self-efficacy, Journal of Abnormal Psychology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 319-329, 1983. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.92.3.319 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.92.3.319
- Chowdhury, M. S. & Amin, M. N, "Personality and students' academic achievement: Interactive effects of conscientiousness and agreeableness on studrnts' performance in principles of economics, Social Behavior and Personality, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 381-388, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2006.34.4.381 https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2006.34.4.381
- Y. H. Moon, W. I. Kim, "A study on the stress of KMA cadets and university students, and on the relationship of the self-efficacy, the stress-coping, and the perceived stress", The Korean Journal of Health ftychdogy, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 485-501, 2006.
- Lazarus, R. S, Folkman, S., "Stress, appraisal and coping. Springer", New York, 1984.
- J. Y. Lee, "MBTI personality type, self-efficacy and ways of coping in nursing students", Korean J. Stress Res. vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 219-227, 2010.
- N. S. Kim, Y. S. Lim, "The verification of intervening effect of youth activity on the relationship between stress and life satisfaction of adolescents", Korean J. Youth Studies. vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 219-240, 2012.
- Sustainable Development Solutions Network(SDSN), "2016 World Happiness Report", SDSN, 2016
- J. S. Park, "Mediating Effect of Acceptance in Relationship between University Life Stress and Satisfaction with Life", Journal of Stress Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 1-8, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2015.23.1.1 https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2015.23.1.1
- S. W. Jung, " The Relationship of Teachers' The Big Five, Stress Coping Strategies and Psychological Well-being", Journal of Psychology and Behavior, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1-24, 2012.
- S. J. Shin, "The relation between burnout and the big five among Korean teachers", University of kyungsung, Master's Thesis, 2008.
- D. H. Ha, H. I. Hwang, S. I, Nam, "The Development of Big 5 Personality Inventory and Its Criterion-Related Validity on School Grade, School Adaptation, and Career Selection", The Korean Journal of Education Psychology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 609-629, 2008.
- Costa, P. T., & McCrae, R. R., "Solid ground in the wetlands of personality: A reply to Block", Psychological Bulletin, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 216-220, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.117.2.216 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.117.2.216
- Gosling, S. D., Rentfrow, P. J., & Swann Jr, W. B. "A very brief measure of the Big-Five personality domains", Journal of Research in Personality, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 504-528, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-6566(03)00046-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-6566(03)00046-1
- M. H. Cho, J. H, Kim, S. M. Kwon, "The Quality of Life as Perceived by the Youth", The Institute of Social Sciences Seoul National University, pp. 61-94, 1994.
- Costa, P. T., & McCrea, R. R., "Influence of extraversion and neuroticism on subjective well-being: Happy and unhappy people", Journal of personality and Social Psychology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 668-678, 1980. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.528 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2068
- Chan, R., & Joseph, S, "Dimensions of personality, domains of aspiration, and subjective well-being", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 347-354, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(99)00103-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(99)00103-8
- Hills, P., & Argyle, M., "Emotional stability as a major dimension of happiness". Personality and Individual Differences, 31, pp. 1357-1364, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00229-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00229-4
- Hayes, N., & Joseph, S, "Big 5 correlates of three measures of subjective well-being". Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 723-727, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00057-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00057-0
- H. W. Kim, M. A. Hong, "Exploration of the Extents and Factors Explaining Well-Being among Korean Adolescents", Korean journal of youth studies, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 269-297, 2007
- Bandura, A, "Self-efficacy: The exercise of control", New York: Freeman, 1997.
- A. Y. Kim, "A study on the academic failure-tolerance and its correlates", Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 1-19, 1997.
- H. S. Jang, "The mediating roles of self-image and self-esteem in relation between attachment and hope", The Korean Journal of Human Development, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 117-137, 1998.
- Caprara, G. M, Steca, P., Gerbino, M., Paciello, M., & Vecchio, G. M, "Looking for adolescents' well-being: Self-efficacy beliefs as determinants of positive thinking and happiness", Epidemiologia e Psichiatria Sociale, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 30-43, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1121189X00002013 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1121189X00002013
- Weber, M., Ruch, W., Littman-Ovadia, H., & Gai, O, "Relationships among higher-order strengths factors, subjective well-being, and general self-efficacy-The case of Israeli adolescents", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 322-327, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2013.03.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2013.03.006
- Y. S. Park, U. C. Kim, Y. H. Kim, B. K. Min, "Structural Dynamics of Life-Satisfaction and its Relationship to Social Support and Self-Efficacy : Analysis of Primary School Students", The Korean Journal of Psychology: Social Issuses, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 57-76, 1999.
- H. S. Mo, M. R. Park, D. H. Ha, "Mediating Effect of Self-Efficacy on the Relationship Between Big five Personality Factors and Subjective Well-Being", The Korean Journal of Education Psychology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 761-781, 2013.
- Cheng, H., & Furnham, A., "Personality, self-esteem, and demographic predictiona of happiness and depression", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 921-942, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00078-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00078-8
- Karademas, E. C., "Positive and negative aspects of well-being: Common and specific predictors", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 277-287, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2006.11.031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2006.11.031
- Livy, M., Fogle., Huebner, S., & Laughlin, J., "The relationship between temperament and life satisfaction in early adolescence: Cognitive and behavioral mediation models", Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 373-392, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021883830847 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021883830847
- Hartman, R. O., & Bets, N. E, "The five-factor model and career self-efficacy: General and Domain-specific relationship", Journal of Career Assessment, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 145-161, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1069072706298011 https://doi.org/10.1177/1069072706298011