- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
College Students' Gambling Behavior: Mediating Effect of Self-Control and Multiple Group Analysis
대학생의 도박행동: 자기통제력의 매개효과 및 다집단 분석
- Kim, Duck-Jin (Department of Nursing, Jungwon University)
- 김덕진 (중원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.03.21
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this study was to construct and test a structural equation model for college student's gambling behavior. A structured questionnaire was completed by 246 college students to analyze the relationships between perspective factors(irrational gambling belief), psychological factors(depression, anxiety), social factors(parental monitoring, parental support, friend support), self-control and gambling behavior. The moderating effects of gender, friends and family's gambling behaviors were examined. The data were analyzed using SPSS 21,0 and AMOS 20.0 programs. Self-control and psychological factors directly affected the college student's gambling behavior, while perspective factors and social factors affected it indirectly. The model fit indices of the modified model were suitable for the recommended levels. The overall study findings suggest the need to develop a gambling prevention program for college students that reinforces self-control, parental monitoring and support, and friend support while reducing irrational gambling belief, depression, and anxiety. An approach that considers gender and a development of a group counseling program for family or friends are also required.
- S. Y. Hwang, "Parental attachment, parental monitoring, peer attachment, association with deviant peers, and problem behaviors", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul: Chung-Ang University, 2007.
- J. H. Kim, "The effects of social support system on adolescents' school adjustment", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul: Ewha Womans University, 1998.
- A. J. Yoo, M. H. Han, "The relation of stress and perceived social support to problem behavior", Korean Journal of Child Studies, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 173-188, 1996.
- J. J. Ko, S. J. Kwon, G. O. Lee, M. J. Kim, E. H. Jang, "Survey on the use of gambling industry in 2014", Research Service Report. Seoul: The National Gambling Control Commission; 2014 October. Report No.: 11-1371045-000042-11.
- K. H. Kim, "Self-regulation model of gambling behavior: The extension of common-sense model", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 243-274, 2006.
- B. S. Kwon, Y. H. Kim, "A study of gambling addiction and its actual conditions among university students in Korea", Mental Health & Social Work, vol. 39, pp. 5-28, 2011.
- Nowak DE, Aloe AM. "The prevalence of pathological gambling among college students A Meta-analytic Synthesis, 2005-2013", Journal of Gambling Studies, vol. 30, pp. 819-843, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10899-013-9399-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-013-9399-0
- H. P. Lee, "The effect of irrational gambling belief to the pathological gambling", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 415-434, 2003.
- D. S. Son, S. Y. Jung, "A study of the issues and impact on pathological gamblers", Mental Health & Social Work, vol. 26, pp. 377-407, 2007.
- J. S. Chon, S. W. Kim, I. J. Chung, S. M. Cho, S. M. Kim, "Social and economic costs of gambling addiction in South Korea", Journal of Community Welfare, vol. 39, pp. 129-154, 2011.
- S. Y. Jung, H. S. Park, "Predictors of the low level gambling behavior in university students", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 253-264, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.4.253 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.4.253
- H. S. Park, S. Y. Jung, "Structural analysis of low level gambling behavior in college students", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 267-278, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.4.267 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.4.267
- D. I. Kim, S. D. Hong, H. Y. In, "A validation study of personality assessment inventory based on big five factors for adolescents in Korea", The Journal of Yeolin Education, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 289-305, 2006.
- H. Stattin, M. Kerr, "Parental monitoring: A reinterpretation", Child Development, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 1072-1085, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00210 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00210
- S. J. Kwon, "Gambling related belief and problem gambling revisited: A test of position of gambling related belief using Latent growth curve modeling", Korea Journal of Youth Studies, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 359-376, 2014.
- A. E. Goudriaan, W. S. Slutske, J. L. Krull, K. J. Sher, "Longitudinal patterns of gambling activities and associated risk factors in college students", Society for the Study of Addiction, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 1219-1232, 2009. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02573.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02573.x
- S. M. Jang, "Structural analysis on the path of problem gambling among college students: using Jacob's general theory of addiction", Korean Journal of Social Welfare, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 231-254, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2013.65.2.010 https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2013.65.2.010
- G. P. Lee, C. L. Storr, N. S. Ialong, S. S. Martins, "Compounded effect of early adolescence depressive symptoms and impulsivity on late adolescence gambling: A longitudinal study", Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 164-169, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.06.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.06.002
- S. B. Lim, "A study on gambling addiction factors of university/college students: based on mediating effect of ambling motivation, self-efficacy, and self-regulation", Health and Social Welfare Review, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 489-524, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.2.489 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2013.33.2.489
- S. B. Lim, Y. J. Park, "A study of gambling addiction determinant of university/college students and intervention for community - focusing on mediating effect of self-efficacy -", Journal of Community Welfare, vol. 45, pp. 229-253, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2013.06.45.229
- R. J. Martin, S. Usdan, J. Cremeens, K. Vail-Smith, "Disordered gambling and co-morbidity of psychiatric disorders among college students: An examination of problem drinking, anxiety and depression", Journal of Gambling Studies, vol. 30, pp. 321-333, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10899-013-9367-8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-013-9367-8
- B. I. Jeong, "A Study on the impacting factors of college students' gambling behavior : focusing on the moderating effect of ecological system factor", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Gwangju: Chosun University, 2014.
- K. E. Scholes-Balog, S. A. Hemphill, N. A. Dowling, J. W. Toumbourou, "A prospective study of adolescent risk and protective factors for problem gambling among young adults", Journal of Adolescence, vol. 37, pp. 215-224, 2014. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2013.12.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2013.12.006
- M. Y. Yeon, "The influences of impulsivity, family' gambling activity and the distance from adolescence's home to the gambling facilities area on adolescents' gambling activity, gambling belief and gambling motivation in the future", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1-14, 2006.
- C. Y. Park, Y. Y. Kim, Y. H. Yoo, T. K. Hur, "Psychological and social factors in problem gambling. psychological and social factors in problem gambling", Journal of Leisure Studies, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 113-136, 2009.
- H. M. Nam, S. W. Ok, "The effects of psychological family environment , self - control and friends characteristics of middle school students on their problem behaviors", Family and Environment Research, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 37-58, 2001.
- M. G. Rhee, G. H. Kim, J. N. Kim, "Prevalence estimates, demographics and psychosocial characteristics of pathological gamblers: focusing on comparing two communities in Korea", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology.2003;8(2):399-414.
- K. Hardoon, R. Gupta, J. Derevensky, "Psycho-social variables associated with adolescent gambling", Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 170-179, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-164X.18.2.170 https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-164X.18.2.170
- S. J. Kwon, K. H. Kim, J. O. Choi, "Awareness of adult gambling and predictors of gambling behavior in children", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 147-162, 2006.
- J. Ferris, H. Wynne, "The Canadian Problem Gambling Index: Final report", Canadian Consortium for Gambling Research. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Center on Substance Abuse(CCSA), 2001 February.