- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Developing a Student Evaluation Instrument for College Teaching
대학강의 평가도구 개발
- Kim, Jeong-Kyoum (Dept of Education, Chungnam National University)
- 김정겸 (충남대학교 교육학과)
- Received : 2017.03.17
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
In using lecture evaluation methods to improve the quality of education, most universities need to reflect the changes in the educational environment. The transformation of university education into a mixed learning environment blending face-to-face education and online education necessitates the development of appropriate lecture evaluation items. For this purpose, we analyzed the items and the factor analysis for the students of C university in Daejeon. The primary data were carried out with 47 measurement items in 10 domains, such as planning and preparation of lectures, which were found through previous research analysis. Secondary data were validated by using the items confirmed through analysis of preliminary test data. The study results showed that 20 items including six domains such as planning and preparation of lectures, learning materials, learning tasks, instruction media, online course test and grades were derived. These study results suggest that universities lectures should be evaluated to ensure improvement.
Blended learning;college teaching;Lecture evaluation;Lecture improvement;Student evaluation instrument
Supported by : 충남대학교
- H. W. Marsh, J. U. Overall, "Validity of Student's Evaluation of Teaching Effectiveness: Cognitive and Affective Criteria", Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 468-475, 1980. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.118 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.1688
- H. W. Marsh, "SEEQ: A reliable, valid, and useful instrument for collecting student's evaluation of university teaching", British Journal of Educational Psychology, 52, pp. 77-95, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8279.1982.tb02505.x
- H. W. Marsh, "Students' evaluation of university teaching: Research findings, methodological issues, and directions for future research", International Journal of Educational Research, 11, pp. 253-388, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-0355(87)90001-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-0355(87)90001-2
- H. Narang, "Evaluating Teaching Effectiveness. A Proposal", ERIC, ED349906, 1992.
- J. A. Centra, "The use of the teaching portfolio and student valuations for summative evaluation", Journal of High Education, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 17-24. 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2943778
- U. H. Chang, "Evaluation System of Instruction in College : Practical Problems and Improving Practices", Education Review, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 91-103, 1993.
- Y. W. Choi, Constructing Items for Course Evaluation. Graduate School, Ewha Womans University, Master's Thesis, 1994.
- D. Cheung, "Developing a student evaluation instrument for distance teaching", Distance Education, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 23-42, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0158791980190104 https://doi.org/10.1080/0158791980190104
- M. S. Cho, "Operation Condition of Cyber Lectures and Students' Estimation in OCU and Cheju University", Social Development Review, 18, pp. 219-263, 2003.
- J. H. Im, & I. S. Jeong, "A Study on the Student Satisfaction of Web-Based Instruction", Journal of Educational Broadcasting, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 151-175, 1999.
- S. I. Han, "Research on Student Ratings of University Teaching: Analysis of Determinants related to Professor, Student, and Class", The Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 247-266, 2001.
- J. C. Ory, "Changes in evaluating teaching in higher education", Theory into Practice, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 30-36, 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00405849109543473 https://doi.org/10.1080/00405849109543473
- H. K. Wachtel, "Student evaluation of college teaching effectiveness : A brief review", Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 191-211, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0260293980230207 https://doi.org/10.1080/0260293980230207
- S. S. Kim, "Optimizing measurement conditions for students' evaluation of e-learning system using generalizability study", Journal of Education evaluation, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 305-322, 2006.
- J. G. Lee, "A Study on the Improvement of a Lecture Evaluation Questionnaire in the University", Korean Journal of General Education, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 247-274, 2013.
- H. H. Jeong, "A study on students awareness of course evaluation: focusing on integrity of responsive attitudes and satisfaction", The Journal Of Educational Methodology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 443-470, 2016.
- K. Bain, What the best college teachers do. Cambridge. MA: Harvard University Press, 2004.
- S. I. Han, H. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, "A Comprehensive Study of Korean Students' Evaluations of University Teaching", The Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 379-403, 2005.