- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Impaired Fasting Glucose by Obesity status of Non-diabetic Adults
당뇨병이 없는 성인의 비만 여부에 따른 공복혈당장애 관련 요인
- Lee, Su-Jeong (School of Public Health, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Keon-Yeop (School of Public Health, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Myung-Gwan (School of Public Health, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Nam, Hang-Me (Department of Medical Administration, Taegu Science University) ;
- Bae, Sang-Geun (Regional Cardiocerebrovascular Center, Kyungpook National University Hospital)
- 이수정 (경북대학교 보건대학원) ;
- 김건엽 (경북대학교 보건대학원) ;
- 김명관 (경북대학교 보건대학원) ;
- 남행미 (대구과학대학교 의무행정과) ;
- 배상근 (경북대학교병원 권역심뇌혈관질환센터)
- Received : 2017.03.06
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study examined the prevalence of an impaired fasting glucose and related factors in normal non-diabetic adults. This study used the raw data (general characteristics, health behavior, obesity, impaired fasting glucose etc.) from the 6th Korea National Health & Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) in the second year (2014), and out of all 7,550 survey participants, 1,341 were selected as the final research subjects. After stratifying according to obesity, a logistic regression model was used to analyze the factors related to an impaired fasting glucose level. The older subjects were more likely to have an impaired fasting glucose in both the obesity group and normal weight group (p<.001). The obesity group showed a higher impaired fasting glucose rate when they drank more alcohol (p<.05) and consumed less fruit (p<.05). Therefore, balanced nutrients and control of the blood sugar level through proper education and public health policies of fruit intake and alcohol are needed.
Impaired Fasting Glucose;Non-diabetic Adults;Obesity;Fruit;Alcohol
- J. H. Park, "Relationship among impaired fasting glucose and diabetes and periodontal disease", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 389-396, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.389 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.389
- Jorgensen ME, Bjerregaard P, Borch-Johnsen K, "Diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance among the Inuit population of Greenland", Diabetes care, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1766-1771, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.10.1766 https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.10.1766
- Bazzano LA, Li TY, Joshipura KJ, Hu FB, "Intake of fruit, vegetables, and fruit juices and risk of diabetes in women", Diabetes care, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1311-1317, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-0080 https://doi.org/10.2337/dc08-0080
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, The Korean Dietetic Association, The dietary guide for disease management No. 3, 2010.
- T. Y. Lee, L. H. Ko, K. H. Kim, "Factors Affecting on Impaired Blood Glucose and Diabetes in Residents of a Rural Area", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1374-1385, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2008.9.5.1374 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2008.9.5.1374
- I. K. Jeong, S. W. Kim, Y. J. Park, B. Y. Cho, H. K. Lee, C. S. Shin, S. Y. Kim, D. J. Park, K. S. Park, N. K. Kim, M. K. Moon, S. Y. Kim, "Comparison of clinical characteristics of impaired fasting glucose with impaired glucose tolerance in Yonchon County", The Journal of Korean Diabetes Association, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 71-77, 2000.
- H. E. Yun, M. A. Han, K. S. Kim, J. Park, M. G. Kang, S. Y. Ryu, "Associated Factors of Impaired Fasting Glucose in Some Korean Rural Adults", Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 309-318, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.4.309 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.4.309
- J. M. Kang, "Factors associated with prediabetes: Data from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey V, 2011-2012, Master's thesis, Yonsei University in Korea, 2015.
- D. H. Park, E. H. Jang, "Convergence Factors Related to Glycemic Control in Workers with Diabetes Mellitus: using the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2009-2013", Journal of Korea Convergence Society, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 95-103, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.095 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.095
- Y. M. Kim, S. H. Kang, "Changes and determinants affecting on geographic variations in health behavior, prevalence of hypertension and diabetes in Korean", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 241-254, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.241
- H. S. Keum, S. R. Suh, "Comparison of Biological Markers and Lifestyle Factors on the Presence of Diabetes Mellitus in Middle-aged adults", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 104-111, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.104
- E. H. Kim, S. G. Bge, KY Kim, YJ Na, "Impaired Fasting Glucose Rate by Diabetes Family History", Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 63-69, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2017.42.1.63 https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2017.42.1.63
- J. H. Lim, "Dietary and Lifestyle Factors in Development and Management of Diabetes in Korean Adults", Ph. D., Seoul National University in Korea, 2012.
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, The Korean National Health Nutrition Examination Survey 2014, 2015.
- Tuomilehto J, "Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus by Changes in Lifestyle among Subjects with Impaired Glucose Tolerance", The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 18, pp. 1343-1350, 2001. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200105033441801 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200105033441801
- Korean Academy of Medical Sciences, Medical Guidelines, 2014.
- Korean Diabetes Association, Diabetes Ca re Guidelines, 2011.
- Morris RD, Rimm DL, Hartz AJ, Kalkhoff RK, Rimm AA, "Obesity and heredity in the etiology of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in 32,662 adult white women", American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 112-121, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a115302 https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a115302
- The Diabetic Association of Korea, "Characteristics of Korean Diabetics", A Monthly Diabetes Magazine, no. 212, pp. 8-9, 2007.
- The Diabetic Association of Korea, "My Health Care - Watch out for slim obesity!", A Monthly Diabetes Magazine, no. 228, pp. 53-55, 2008.
- J. W. Han, "Study of Physical Activities and Nutrient Intakes of Adults with metabolically healthy obesity and those with metabolically unhealthy obesity", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 7043-7052, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.7043 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.7043
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, National Health and Nutrition Survey, 2010.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Dietary Guidelines 2005.
- The Diabetic Association of Korea, "Dietary recommendation: How much can I eat? Different sugars for each fruit", A Monthly Diabetes Magazine, no. 258, pp. 48-49, 2011.
- E. K. Jung, "A Study on the Dietary Habit and Prevalence of Diabetes Mellitus and Impaired Fasting Glucose", Master's thesis, Yonsei University in Korea, 2003.
- The Korean Society for Preventive Medicine, Preventive Medicine and Public Health Second edition, 2015.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Health Statistics 2014 II.Trend, 2014.
- J. H. Kang, "Relationship of Korean Adult's Intake of Fruits & Vegetables and the Impaired Fasting Glucose", Master's thesis, Yonsei University in Korea, 2012.