- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing on Social Participation in Patients with Stroke
뇌졸중 환자의 사회 참여에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Song, Ye-Won (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, The Graduate School, Konyang University) ;
- Kim, Su-Kyoung (Dept. Of Occupational Therapy, Konyang University)
- Received : 2017.03.06
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study aims to provide important data for community-centered rehabilitation by examining factors influencing community participation after the onset of stroke. The study subjects were 100 patients with a stroke for more than six months. Korean Craig Handicap Assessment and Reporting Technique (K-CHART) was conducted to determine the level of participation of subjects, and Korean-Modified Barthel Index (K-MBI) was conducted to examine the factors influencing the community participation of the subjects to determine the level of independence of activities of daily living. As a result, the relevant factors of community participation in stroke patients were as follows. Physical independence, cognitive independence, mobility, work, and social integration of stroke patients showed higher explanatory power than engagement in activities of daily living, age, and employment. Also, physical independence, cognitive independence, mobility, work, and social integration were factors that affected participation. All items were statistically significant (p <.01). It is considered that this study will contribute to providing information for focusing on occupational therapy for increasing the social participation of stroke patients, and proper evaluation and intervention will work as essential rehabilitation factors for improving participation with respect to the influential factors of participation.
K-CHART;Occupational therapy;Participation;Social integration;Stroke
- A. R. Abdel-Moty, "Occupational therapy: Practice skills for physical dysfunction, edited by L. W. Pedretti, & M. B. Early" Occup Ther Health Care, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 77-78. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/J003v16n02_06
- S. B. Jeon, H. S. Choi, "Effects of Side Walking Training on Balance and Gait in Stroke Patients", vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 541-548, Journal of Digital Convergence, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.541
- S. O. Lim, A Structural Model for Quality of life in Stroke patients. Graduate School of Kyung Hee University, Directed by Professor, 2002.
- G. Krug, G. McCormack, "Occupational therapy: Evidenc interventions for stroke", vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 145-149, Missouri Medicine, 2009.
- I. S. W. Party, National Sentinel Stroke Audit 2010 Round 7. London, UK: Royal College of Physicians of London, 2011.
- J. H. Min, H. J. Han, "A Study on Effects of the Convergence of musculoskeletal disorders Women with Disabilities on Quality of life in Jeon-nam Area", vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 491-504, Journal of Digital Convergence, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.491
- J. C. Fletcher-Smith, M. F. Walker, C. S. Cobley, E. M. Steultjens, C. M. Sackley, "Occupational therapy for care home residents with stroke", vol. 6 Cochrane Database Systematic Review, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010116.pub2
- D. Petruseviciene, A. Krisciunas, "Evaluation of activity and effectiveness of occupational therapy in stroke patients at the early stage of rehabilitation", vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 216-224, Medicina (Kaunas, Lithuania), 2007.
- M. Dijkers, "Community integration: Conceptual issues and measurement approaches in rehabilitation research", vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1-15, Topics in spinal cord injury Rehabilitation, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1310/BJJA-2018-45KL-0VTL
- Y. G. Kim, "A Search on the Necessity of Occupational Therapy in Community Based Rehabilitation in Public Health Centers", vol. 15, no. 3 pp13-24, The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 2007.
- M. A. McColl, Measuring community integration and social support. In M. Law, C. M. Baum, & W. Dunn(Eds.), Measuring occupational performance: Supporting best practice in occupational therapy, p.301-314, Thorofare, NJ:Slack. 2005.
- W. M. Jeong, C. S. Park, Y. J. Hwang, "A study on job competency of community-based occupational therapists: Focusing on job analysis in dementia care centers", vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 15-29, The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 2013.
- J. I. Won, "Necessity of Community-Based Rehabilitation System after Stroke", vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 16-26, The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 2008.
- K. Stalker, C. Jones, P. Ritchie, "All change? The role and tasks of community occupational therapist in scotland", vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 104-108 British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/030802269605900302
- D. G, Hong, H. Y, Jeong, J. H Park, S. K. Kim, "The Effect of a Leisure Motivation and Participation Restriction of Stroke Patients on Level of Leisure Activity", vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 15-24, The journal of Korean society of occupational therapy, 2015.
- S. Y, Hong, K. M. Kim, "Correlation Between the Leisure Activity Participation and the Self-Efficacy with Chronic Stroke Patient", vol. 19, pp. 277-296, Journal of rehabilitation research, 2015. https://doi.org/10.16884/JRR.2015.19.2.277
- J. O. Kim, C. S. Kang, J. H. Park, "Self-Efficacy According to Economic Activities of the Disabled", vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 140-146, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.140
- Y. W. Song, "Reliability and validity of craig handicap assessment and reporting technique-Korean(CHART-K) for patients with spinal card injury", Graduate School of Public Health and Welfare Konyang University. master's thesis, 2015.
- P. Kennedy, P. Lude, N. Taylor, "Quality of life, social participation, appraisals and coping post spinal cord injury: A review of four community samples", vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 95-105, Spinal Cord, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3101787 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.sc.3101787
- G. G. Whiteneck, S. W. Charlifue, K. A. Gerhart, J. D. Overholser, G. N. Richardson, "Quantifying handicap: A new measure of long-term rehabilitation outcomes", vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 519-526, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 1992.
- G. G. Whiteneck, Craig handicap assessment and reporting technique, p.728-730. Encyclopedia of Clinical Neuropsychology, 2011.
- H. Kim, A. Colantonio, "Effectiveness of rehabilitation in enhancing community integration after acute traumatic brain injury: A systematic review", vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 709-719, American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2010.09188 https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2010.09188
- S. Y, Oh, J. S. Lee, "Hemiplegic Experience after Stroke among Middle Aged Man", vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 582-593, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.582
- J. P. Chau, D. R. Thompson, S. Twinn, A. M. Chang, J. Woo, "Determinants of participation restriction among community dwelling stroke survivors: a path analysis", vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1, BMC neurology, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2377-9-49 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2377-9-1
- W. h. Kim, "The Effects of Activity and Family Support on the Participation Restriction of Chronic Stroke Patients",vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 76-85 Physical Therapy Korea, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2012.19.1.076
- T. Kwok, X. Jin, F. Yeung, J. Cheng, R. S. K. Lo, C. L. K. Lam, J. Woo, "A comparison of the Long-term Health Related Quality of Life and Handicap of stroke patients in Mainland china and Hong Kong", vol. 3, pp. 3, Health Services Insights, 2010.
- J. H. Lee, "A study on the determinants that affect life satisfaction of the disabled", vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 503-514, Journal of Digital Convergence, 2015.
- S. G. Bae, S. K Lee, C. H. Han. "Influencing and Mediating Factors in Stroke: Based on 2007-2012 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey", vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 418-428, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.418 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.418
- J. H. Kim, "Effects of Robot-assisted Therapy on Lower Limb in Patients with Subacute Stroke", vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 459-466, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.459
- E. K. Shin, "Analysis on the social participation of people with disabilities using Hierarchical Linear Model", School of Social Welfare Yonsei University. Direcred by Professor, 2007.
- M. Law, "Participation in the occupations of everyday life",vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 640-649 American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.56.6.640 https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.56.6.640
- Y. I. Choi, "Predictors of participation restriction in chronic stroke survivors : a path analysis", Graduate school, Yonsei University, Gangwon, 2013.
- E. R. Skidmore, E. M. Whyte, M. A. Butters, L. Terhorst, C. F. Reynolds, "Strategy Training During Inpatient Rehabilitation May Prevent Apathy Symptoms After Acute Stroke", vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 562-570 The Journal of injury, function, and rehabilitation, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmrj.2014.12.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmrj.2014.12.010