- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Married Nurses' Parenting Stress and Job Involvement on Retention Intention
기혼간호사의 양육스트레스와 직무몰입이 재직의도에 미치는 영향
- Nam, In Suk (Chungbuk National University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Seonho (Department of Nursing, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2017.03.16
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this study is to identify correlations among married nurses' parenting stress, job involvement and intent to stay, as well as to clarify factors that affect nurses' intent to stay. This is a descriptive study conducted based on evaluation of 174 married nurses from one university hospital and two general hospitals (200 beds or above) located in C region, all of who had at least one child <6 years of age. Data were collected from Aug 20 until Sep 15, 2016, after which data were analyzed by aT-test, ANOVA, Pearson's coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression. The mean score of parenting stress was
Factors;Job involvement;Married nurse;Parenting stress;Retention intention
- Statistics Korea. Economically Active Population Survey. retrieved October, 15. 2016. from http://kostat.go.kr/
- M. Skreden, H. Skari, U. F. Malt, A. H. Pripp, M. D. Bjork, A. Faugli, R. Emblem, "Parenting Stress and Emotional Wellbeing in Mothers and Fathers of Preschool Children," Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 596-604, 2012. DOI: https://dol.org/10.1177/1403494812460347 https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494812460347
- J. R. Park, "Parenting Stress and Job Satisfaction", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2012.
- M. F. Ribeiro, L. Vandenberghe, C. O. Prudente, V. D. Vila, C. C. Porto. "Cerebral Palsy: How the Child's Age and Severity of Impairment Affect the Mother's Stress and Coping Strategies", Ciencia & Saude Coletiva, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 3203-3212, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-812320152110.17352016
- W. B. Goodman, A. C. Crouter, "Longitudinal Associations between Maternal Work Stress, Negative Work-family Spillover, and Depressive Symptoms," Family Relations, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 245-258, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3729.2009.00550.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3729.2009.00550.x
- Y. S. Kim, M. K. Kwon, "Nurse's Parenting Stress", Korean Parent-Child Health Jornal, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 86-94, 2010.
- S. J. Kang, S. Y. Kim, "The Relationship Among Nurses' Parenting Stress and Turnover Intention", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 508-515, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.508 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.508
- E. Y. Park, "The Effects of Parenting Stress on Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention of Married Nurse with Preschool Children", Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhyang University, Chungnam, 2013.
- H. J. Gu, "Parenting Stress and Job Involvement of Nurses with Preschool Children", Unpublished master's thesis, Hallym University, Kangwon, 2013.
- E. H. Seo, M. S. Lee, "The Influence of Satisfaction with Workplace Child-Care on the Parenting Stress, Job Commitment, and Job Satisfaction of Parents", Journal of Korean Child Care and Education, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 41-65, 2011.
- S. M. Lee, "Job Satisfaction among Middle Aged Nurse", Unpublished master's thesis, Changwon National University, Changwon, 2013.
- Y. K. Song, "New graduate nurse's competency, organizational socialization and intention to leave" Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2016.
- J. S. Lee, "The Relationship of Parenting Stress, Social Support, and Turnover Intention of Nurses" Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu, 2012.
- M. H. Sung, E. Y. Choi, "The Relationships between Professional Self- Concept, Nursing Performance and Retention Intention of Emergency Department Nurses", The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 244-252, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.244 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.244
- E. H. Lee, K. S. Cho, H. M. Son, "A Study of Hospital Nurse's Intention to Keep Nursing Job", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 15-27, 2014.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Bunchner, "G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavior, and biomedical sciensis", Behavior Research Methods, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 175-191. 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- K. H. Kim, H. K. Kang, "Development of the Parenting Stress Scale", Journal of the Korea Family and Environment Research, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 141-150, 1997.
- L. J. Kim, C. H. Yoon, "An Ecological Study on Working Mothers' Parenting Stress", Journal of the Korea Family and Environment Research, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 47-58, 2000.
- R. N. Kanungo, "Measurement of Job and Work Involvement", Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 341-349, 1982. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037//0021-9010.67.3.341 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.67.3.341
- H. J. Lee, "Relationship between Mentoring and Core Talent Job Involvement and Organizational Commitment", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2006.
- L. S. Cowin, "The Effects of Nurses's Job Satisfaction on Retention: An Australian Perspective," Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 283-291, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200205000-00008 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200205000-00008
- M. J. Kim, "Relationships between Child's Psychological Well-being and Parental Satisfaction with Dual Income Family", Korean Journal of Child Studies, vol. 27, No, 2, pp. 15-37, 2006.
- J. A. Kim, " Impact of Nursing Professionalism and Decision Making Competency on Retention Intention and Turnover Impulse among Hospital Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2014.
- H. S. Jeong, "Sleep Quality, Fatigue, and Job Involvement in Shift Work Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Gyeonggi-do, 2015.
- J. A. Yu, "The Effects of Parenting Stress on the Quality of Life of Mothers with Preschool Children", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2016.
- K. J. Kwon, K. H. Ko, K. W. Kim, J. A, Kim, 'The Impact of Nursing Professionalism on the Nursing Performance and Retention Intention among Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 229-239, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.00000/jkana.2010.16.3.229 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.229
- O. Y. Bae, "Impact of Career Plateau on Turnover Impulse and Retention Intention of Hospital Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2015.
- E. J. Choi, "The Relationship between Nurses' Self-efficacy, Career Commitment and Organizational Performance", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2012.
- S. O. Choi, J. H. Kim, "Relationships among Job Stress, Nursing Performance, and Retention Intention of Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 142-152, 2013. DOI: https//doi.org/10.5932/jkphn.2013.27.1.142 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.142
- Y. K. Ko, "Relationship of Nurse Practice Environment and Work-family Conflict to Job Satisfaction in Hospital Nurses in Korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 207-216, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.207 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.207
- M. A. You, Y. J. Son, "The Relationships of Work-family Conflict, Social Support, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment in Korean Married Hospital Nurses", The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 515-523, 2009.
- M. McGlynn, M. Q. Griffin, M. Donahue, J. Fitzpatrick, "Registered Nurse Job Satisfaction and Satisfaction with the Professional Practice Model", Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 260-265, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01351 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01351.x
- N. Y. Lee, S. O. Lee, J. H. Hwang, "Factors Affecting on Hospital Nurse Intention of Retention", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1479-1491, 2012.
- K. A. Cappa, A. M. Begle, J. C. Conger, J. E. Dumas, A. J. Conger, "Bidirectional Relationships between Parenting Stress and Child Coping Competence: Findings from the Pace Study", Journal of Child and Family Studies, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 334-342, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-010-9397-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-010-9397-0
- S. Wilson, C. E. Durbin, "Effects of Paternal Depression on Fathers' Parenting Behaviors: a Meta-analytic Review", Clinical Psychology Review vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 167-180, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2009.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2009.10.007