- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Further Evidence on the Existence of an Inter- and Intra-Industry Optimal Capital Structure for the KOSPI-listed Firms in the Korean Capital Market
국내 유가증권시장 상장기업들의 산업간 그리고 산업내의 최적자본구조의 존재에 대한 추가적인 실증 분석
- Kim, Hanjoon (Division of Business Administration, Hoseo University)
- 김한준 (호서대학교 사회과학대학 경영학부)
- Received : 2017.02.20
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study investigated empirically one of the controversial subjects in modern finance, in that there is an optimal level of capital structure for KOSPI-listed firms in the Korean capital market. Given the major theories on the capital structure, such as Myers' pecking order, trade-off, and agency cost ones, this study applied an analysis of covariance models in parametric and non-parametric statistical methods. In particular, two covariates to control for the possible effects of trade-off and agency cost, were employed separately in each corresponding model, while the other proxy for pecking order rationale was adopted in previous research  to conduct inter- and intra-industry analyses. Based on the outcomes obtained from the study, it was demonstrated empirically that there are optimal capital structures for firms in the sample industries at the inter-industry level, whereas statistical differences indicating non-existence of an optimal point, were revealed within the industry. Accordingly, these findings suggest a new vision to potential investors that firms in the domestic market may have financial opportunities to increase their value by gradually adjusting the leverage ratios in terms of the intra-industry perspective.
Analysis of Covariance;Inter-Industry Analysis;Intra-Industry Analysis;Korean Capital Market;Optimal Capital Structure
- F. Modigliani, M. Miller, "The Cost of Capital, Corporation Finance, and the Theory of Investments", American Economic Review, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 261-297, 1958.
- B. Fattouh, P. Scaramozzino, L. Harris, " Capital Structure in South Korea: a Quantile Regression Approach", Journal of Development Economics, vol. 75, pp. 231-250, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2003.12.014
- H. Kim, "Determinants of Leverage for Manufacturing Firms Listed in the KOSDAQ Stock Market", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 2096-2109, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2096 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2096
- H. Kim, "Financial Determinants of Leverage for the KOSDAQ-listed firms with Headquartered in Chungcheong Province" Journal of International Trade & Commerce, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 53-69, 2016.
- H. Kim, "Existence of an Industrial Optimal Level of Cash Holdings for KOSPI-listed Firms in the Korean Capital Market," Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Forthcoming, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.2.149
- H. Kim, "Financial Leverage of Korean Business Conglomerates "Chaebols" in the Post-Asian Financial Crisis", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 699-711, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.2.699 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.2.699
- H. Kim, "Further Investigations on the Financial Attributes of the Firms listed in the KOSDAQ Stock Market", International Journal of Contents, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 27-37, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2013.9.2.027 https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2013.9.2.027
- H. Kim, "Financial Profile of Capital Structures for the Firms Listed in the KOSPI Market in South Korea", Journal of Korean Contents Association, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 829-844, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.829
- H. Kim, "Inter- and Intra-leverage Analyses for Large Firms in the United States and Korea", Journal of Asia-Pacific Business, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 34-64, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10599230802711480 https://doi.org/10.1080/10599230802711480
- H. Kim, "Inter- and Intra-Industry Analyses on the Existence of Optimal Capital Structure for KOSPI-listed Firms in the Domestic Capital Markets", Working Paper, 2017.
- O. Valera, R. Limmack, "Financial Structure and Industry Classification in the United Kingdom Empirical Research Findings", Journal of Financial Management and Analysis, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1-9, 1998.
- D. Scott, J. Martin, "Industry Influence on Financial Structure", Financial Management, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 67-73, 1975. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/3665473 https://doi.org/10.2307/3665473
- L. Remmer, A. Stonehill, R. Wright, T. Beekuisen, "Industry and Size as Debt Ratio Determinants in Manufacturing Internationally", Financial Management, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 24-32. 1974. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/3665286
- D. Scott. "Evidence on the Importance of Financial Structure", Financial Management, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 45-50, 1972. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/3665143 https://doi.org/10.2307/3665143
- The Korea Exchange, Public Report, Available From: http://open.krx.co.kr/main/main.jsp (Accessed December. 10, 2016)