- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Educational Service Quality on University Image, Student Satisfaction, and Word of Mouth
교육서비스품질이 대학이미지, 학생만족, 구전에 미치는 영향
- Jung, Hyun-Hwa (Department of Business Administration, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Chung, Ki-Han (Department of Business Administration, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.02.22
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
We explored the influence of educational service quality on university image, student satisfaction, and word of mouth, as well as the causal association between university image, student satisfaction, and word of mouth. Second-order structural model testing was conducted with 274 questionnaires being used to analyze the hypotheses. The findings demonstrated, first, that educational service quality positively affected university image, student satisfaction, and word of mouth. The important sub-dimensions of educational service quality were teaching method, followed by lecture content, professor attitude, and communication through the second-order structural analysis. Second, university image positively affected student satisfaction and word of mouth. Third, student satisfaction positively affected word of mouth. Finally, for factor loading, the results of educational service quality indicated that teaching method(0.972) and lecture content(0.934) were the key factors in estimating the quality, revealing their significant and positive impact on university image, student satisfaction, and word of mouth. Thus, service providers should strengthen the teaching method and lecture content of educational service quality to enhance the university image, student satisfaction, and word of mouth of university performance from the perspective of university students.
Educational Service Quality;Second-Order Structural Model;Student Satisfaction;University Image;Word of Mouth
- S. W. Kim, B. L. Cho, S. P. Han, "The Effects of University Evaluation on Its Image Transformation", Journal of Communication Science, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 139-178, June, 2010.
- H. Choi, "An Analysis on the Effect of Education Quality to School Brand Image and its performance", a doctoral thesis of Uiduk University, 2009.
- S. E. Chun, H. W. Lee, L. J. Lee, "The Effects of Education Quality to School Brand Image - Focusing on a Purpose of Establishment on High-school in Deagu -", Journal of Korea Service Management Society, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 207-228, Sep. 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15706/jksms.2008.9.3.010
- J. H. Lee, S. Y. Jung, "The Journal of Business Education", The Journal of Business Education, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1-21, Feb. 2012.
- S. H. Ho, J. H. Song, K. Y. Shim, "The Effects of Educational Service Orientation and Service Value on Student Satisfaction and University Image : The Strengthening Plan of Competitiveness in University Educational Service", Journal of Marketing Studies, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 23-42, Dec. 2011.
- S. Y. Shin, S. Y. Kwon, "Analysis of Relationships among the Satisfaction of Educational Services, University Image and Educational Outcomes", lifelong learning society, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 1-23, Dec. 2014.
- C. E. Kim, J. H. Seo, "A Study on the Influence Factor of Customer Satisfaction of University Educational Service", Business Edu, vol. 38, pp. 33-60, 2005.
- F. Abdullah, "Measuring Service Quality in Higher Education: HEdPERF versus SERVPERF", Marketing Intelligence and Planning, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 31-47, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/02634500610641543 https://doi.org/10.1108/02634500610641543
- J. H. Song, K. T. Lee, "The Effects of Professors' Credibility and Attractiveness on Attitude toward Class", Journal of Marketing Studies, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 79-96, June, 2011.
- S. J. Lee, K. H. Yoon, S. Y. Kim, "The Model Development of Satisfaction Measurement Index of Education Service and the Improvement Plan of IPA", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 510-521, Nov. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.11.510 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.11.510
- J. H. Kim, T. J. Park, "The Effects of University Education Service Quality on Student Satisfaction and Loyalty -Focusing on the case of A National University-", Consumer Policy and Education Review, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 47-68, Sep. 2012.
- C. J. Song, "A Study on the Teaching and Learning Activities, Student-teacher Communication, and Course Satisfaction", Asian Journal of Education, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 171-200, Jun. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2014.15.2.007
- N. Foskett, "Schools and marketization", Educational Management and Administration, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 197-210, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0263211X98262008
- Y. Deming, "Implication, characteristics of school brand and its creation", Educational Research, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 81-83, 2006.
- N. Azoury, L. E. Daou, C. M. El Khoury, "University image and its relationship to student satisfaction: Case of the holy spirit university of Kaslik, Lebanon", Journal of Executive Education, vol. 12, no.1, pp. 1-13, 2013.
- C. E. Kim, J. H. Seo, "A study on the influence factor of customer satisfaction of university educational service", Korean Business Education Review, vol. 38, pp. 39-57, 2005.
- K. M. Elliot, M. A. Healy, "Key factors influencing student satisfaction related to recruitment and retention", Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1-11, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1300/J050v10n04_01
- J. S. Park, J. H. Kim, Y. S. Shin, "The Effects of University Education Service Quality Factors on the Students' Satisfaction, Intention of Continuing Studies, and Word-of-Mouth", Marketing Journal, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 51-71, Feb. 2003.
- K. H. Chung, H. H. Jung, J. E. Shin, "The Effects of Educational Service at University on Student Satisfaction, Commitment, Word of Mouth, and Fund-Rising Intention", The Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 371-406, 2010.
- H. S. Kang, "A Study on the Effect of the Educational Service Quality and the Brand Image of a University on Satisfaction with the Educational Service", a master's thesis of Sookmyung Women's University, 2004.
- E. W. Anderson, "Customer Satisfaction and Word-of-Mouth", Journal of Service Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 5-17, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/109467059800100102
- W. L. Stephen, E. G. Ronald, P. Bing, "Electronic Word-of-mouth in hospitality and tourism management", Tourism Management, vol. 29, 2007.
- J. E. Shin, K. H. Chung, "The Relationship among Service Quality, Overall Service Quality, Student Satisfaction, and Word of Mouth in Educational Institution", The Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 231-256, 2007.
- Y. R. Jung, S. B. Cha, "The Impact of Service Quality in Higher Education on Students' Satisfaction and Loyalty: A Case Study of Tourismrelated Graduate School", Korean Journal of Tourism Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 139-155, Aug. 2008.
- H. M. Lee, J. S. Han, "A Study on The Impacts of Educational Service Quality on Student Satisfaction, Intention to Recommend and Word-of-mouth: focusing on international student in universities of seoul region", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 55-76, 2013.
- J. S. Lim, "he Impact of Influence Factors of University Image on Word-of-Mouth Communication", a doctoral thesis of Daejeon University, 2008.
- A. Jiewanto, C. Laurens, L. Nelloh, "Influences of service quality, university image, and student satisfaction toward WON intention: A case study on universitas Pelita Harapan Surabaya", Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 40, pp. 16-23, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.03.155 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.03.155
- J. F. Hair, R. L. Anderson, W. C. Tatham, Multivariate Data Analysis with Reading, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1998.
- Kline J. F. Hair, R. L. Anderson, W. C. Tatham, Multivariate Data Analysis with Reading, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2005.