- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Preliminary Study on the Structural Performance of the Bumper-Beams for High-Strength Steel Applications
고장력강판 적용을 위한 자동차 범퍼빔 구조성능의 기초연구
- Kang, Jong-Su (Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Song, Myung-Hwan (Myungjin Corporation) ;
- Lim, Jae-Yong (School of mechanical Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2017.04.14
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
Consistent efforts have been made to reduce the weight of automotive parts by using lightweight materials. This has resulted in the replacement of conventional steels in car body structures with high-strength steels, and the current usage rate has reached 50%. This study examines the structural stiffness and energy absorption capability of bumper beams made of high-strength steels. New types of bumper beam cross sections are proposed.The structural stiffness and maximum bending force were computed via finite element analysis as about 25tons and 7.5tons/mm, and there were no significant differences among the proposedcross sections. Dynamic analysis was also carried out to investigate the energy absorption capabilities of the bumper beams, and the effects of materials and thickness reduction were analyzed. High-strength steel can be used to achieve weight reduction with comparable structural performance to conventional bumper beams.
Bending Analysis;Bumper-Beams;High-Strength Steel;Impact Analysis;Weight Reduction
- Javad Marzbanrada, Masoud Alijanpoura, Mahdi Saeid Kiasatb, "Design and analysis of an automotive bumper beam in low-speed frontal crashes", Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 47, no. 8-9, pp. 902-911, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2009.02.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2009.02.007
- Yuxuan Li, Zhongqin Lin, Aiqin Jiang, Guanlong Chen, "Use of high strength steel sheet for lightweight and crashworthy car body", Materials & Design, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 177-182, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-3069(03)00021-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-3069(03)00021-9
- D. K. Park, C. D. Jang, S. B. Lee, S. J. Heo, H. J. Yim, M. S. Kim, "Optimizing the shape of a bumper beam section considering pedestrian protection", International Journal of Automotive Technology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp 489-494, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-010-0060-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-010-0060-y
- K. J. Kim, S. T. Won, "Effect of structural variables on automotive body bumper impact beam", International Journal of Automotive Technology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 713-717, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-008-0084-8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-008-0084-8
- J. W. Lee, K. A. Youn, "Hood and bumper structure design methodology for pedestrian regulation", Trans. Korean Society of Automotive Engineers vol. 13, Issue 3, pp. 162-170, 2005.
- H. J. Yim, M. S. Kim, J. Park, S. J. Heo, D. K. Park, "Shape Optimization of Bumper Beam Cross Section for Low Speed Crash", SAE in US, ISSN 0148-7191, no. 2005-01-0880, 2005.
- E. Schubert, M. Klassen, I. Zemer, C. Walz, G. Sepold, "Light-weight structures produced by laser beam joining for future applications in automobile and aerospace industry", J Mater Process Technology, vol. 115, pp. 2-8, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00756-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00756-7
- M. Paz, C. P. Strehl, P. Schrader, "Computer determination of the shear center of open and closed sections", Computer & Structure, vol. 6, pp. 117-125, 1976. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(76)90061-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(76)90061-4