- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Moderating and Mediating Effects of Nursing Professionalism between Major Satisfaction and College life Adaptation among Nursing Students
간호대학생의 전공만족도와 대학생활 적응의 관계에서 간호전문직관의 조절 및 매개효과
- Choi, Hyun-Ju (Department of Nursing, Kaya University)
- 최현주 (가야대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study investigated the relationships among major satisfaction, nursing professionalism, and college life adaptation of the nursing students in order to present basic data to assist in adaption of college life. The study subjects were 553 nursing students from two universities in K and P cities by self-report questionnaire survey. Data were collected between November 7 and November 25, 2016. The data were analyzed through frequency analysis, descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe test, Pearson correlation coefficient, and hierarchical regression using SPSS 21.0 program. As a result, major satisfaction, nursing professionalism, and college life adaptation averaged 3.86(out of 5), 3.97(5), and 3.34(5) respectively. There was a significant positive correlation between major satisfaction and nursing professionalism, college life adaptation on nursing students. In addition, nursing professionalism had moderating(F=8.460, p=.004) and partial mediating (
College life adaptation;Major satisfaction;Moderating and mediating effects;Nursing professionalism;Nursing students
- H. T. Park, "A study on the effect of emotional intelligence on adjustment to college life in first year nursing college student", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 1576-1583, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1576 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1576
- S. J. Whang, "The Relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and Self-esteem of nursing college students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 205-213, 2006.
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang, "Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 14-23, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.14 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- E. A. Kim. K. S. Jang, "Developing a prediction model regarding adjustment of nursing students to college life", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 312-332, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312
- I. O. Moon. G. W. Lee, "The effect of satisfaction on major and career search efficacy on career search behavior in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 83-91, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.083 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.083
- M. Y. Chang, "The relationship among college students satisfaction on their majors, attributional style, and career decision level", Master's Thesis of Ewha Womans University, 2005.
- B. H. Son. Y. M. Kim, I. J. Jun, "A study on nursing students' job-esteem, work values, and satisfaction of their major", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 240-249, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.240 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.240
- D. Adams, B. K. Miller, "Professionalism in nursing behaviors of nurse practioners", Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 203-210, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2001.25913 https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2001.25913
- T. J. Jang, "The effect of nursing professionalism, satisfaction in major, and self-leadership on career preparations behavior in nursing students", Master's Thesis, Keimyung University, 2014.
- Y. H. Kim, "Effect of career empowerment program on career maturity, career decision-making self-efficacy, and employment stress of nursing college students, ", The Journal of Korea Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 817-828, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.817 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.817
- Y. K. Kwag, "Effect of self-esteem, Ego-resilience, social support on nursing student's adjustment to college", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 2178-2186, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.5.2178
- Y. S. Choi, "Factors influencing college life adjustment in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 423-432, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.423 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.423
- Y. H. Kim, "The effects of college life adaptation program on nursing students college life adaptation and nursing professional attitude", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 12, pp. 8948-8956, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8948 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8948
- Y. S. Park, H. K Kim, "The effect of motivation for major choice and satisfaction in major on the adaption of university life among university students", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 511-519, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.511
- J. H. Oh, "The influencing factors of self-esteem and major satisfaction on college adjustment among nursing students", The Journal of Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 873-884, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.873
- Y. M. Kwon, E. J. Yeun, "A Correlation study on nursing professional values, department satisfaction, sociality, self-esteem among nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 285-292, 2007.
- S. Y. Lim, S. Y. Kim, H. M. Choi, "The relationship of major satisfaction, self-esteem and nursing professionalism of the nursing college students", The Journal of the Convergence on Culture Technology, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 45-51, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2015.1.2.45
- H. J. Park, J. W. Oh, "The relationships of the clinical practice stress and the major satisfaction with the nursing professionalism of nursing college students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 417-426, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17703/JCCT.2015.1.2.45
- H. S. Ha, "A study of department satisfaction an d school satisfaction of undergraduate students", Master's thesis, Kyunghee University, pp. 42-73, 1988.
- W. S. Cho, "Correlation between major satisfaction and academic achievement in accordance with major-interest correspondence of the university students", Master's thesis, Daejin University, pp. 60-90, 2009.
- E. J. Yeun, Y. M. Kwon, O. H. Ann, "Development of a nursing professional value scale", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 1091-1100, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1091 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1091
- R. W. Baker, B. Siryx, "Student adaptation to college questionaries(SACQ)", Los Angeles, CA : Western Psychological Services, 1989.
- J. W. Hyun, "The effect of perfectionism and evaluative threat on the performance of task", Master's thesis, Yon-sei University, pp. 50-90, 1992.
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and spastical considerations", Journal of Pers Soc Psychol, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.113
- S. H. Park, S. H. Han, "Effect of self-resilience and professional self-concept, major satisfaction on nursing student's adjustment to college life", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 8, pp. 517-526, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.517 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.517
- E. S. Soe, K. A. Jeong, "The Effects of career identity, satisfaction with major, adjusting to college life and self-esteem of students in the department of optometry and optic science at a university on academic achievement", The Korean Journal of Vision Science, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 213-225, 2015.
- J .E. Go, M. H. Kim, E. J. Kim, H. J. Kim, J. E. Um, H. A. Lee et al, "The relation between nursing college students major satisfaction and their nursing professionalism", Journal of Ewha Nursing University, Vol. 45, pp. 29-44, 2011.
- D. Barron, E. West, R. Reeves, "Tied to the job affective and relational components of nurse retention", Journal of Health Services Research&Policy, Vol. 12, pp. 46-51, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1258/135581907780318419 https://doi.org/10.1258/135581907780318419
- M. H. Lim, "Effects of character, critical thinking disposition and professional self-concept on college adjustment in nursing students", Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 8, pp. 560-568, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.560