- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Level of physical activity and influencing factors of the first and second year nursing students
간호대학 저학년생의 신체활동정도와 영향요인
- Lee, Mi-Suk (Dept. of Nursing, Gyeongju University) ;
- Gu, Mee-Ock (College of Nursing, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.04.24
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study was conducted to investigate the level of physical activity and identify factors influencing physical activity of first and second year nursing students. The participants were 234 female first and second year nursing students at one nursing college located in U city. Data were collected from September 5 to 15 in 2016 and analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA,
Habit;Nursing students;Physical Activity;Social support;Theory of Planned Behavior
- World Health Organization, Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health. Copenhagen: World Health Organization, 2010.
- American College of Sports Medicine. Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription(4th ed), 314 pages, Pennsylvania: Lea & Febiger Co, 2007.
- Y. S. Kim, I. S. Yoon, W. J. Lee, J. S. Nam, J. S. Yoon, R. M. Youn, H. N. Jung, "Anthropometric Measurements of the Upper and Lower Body Balance and Exercise Habit among Female College Students in Some Parts of the Gyeongnam", Journal of Life Science, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 535-542, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.4.535 https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.4.535
- J. P. Kim, H. S. Moon, "The Relation between Wellness and Life Satisfaction of Students' Participation in University Physical Education Class", Journal of Leisure and Recreation Studies, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 5-19, 2008.
- H. Kim, "Comparison of Health Behavior, Stress and Stress Coping Type between Undergraduate Nursing Students and Female Students in Other Majors", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 28-35, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2015.21.1.28 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2015.21.1.28
- Ministry of culture, Sport and Tourism. 2012 National sport participation survey. Seoul: Ministry of culture, Sport and Tourism.
- S. H. Shin, "Influence from the academic stress by the achievement pressure of their parents and adjustment effect of self-differentiation", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 6756-6766, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.11.6756 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.11.6756
- H. J. Choi, E. J. Lee, "Mediation Effects of Self-Efficacy between Academic Stress and College Adjustment in First Year Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, vol. 19, no. 2. pp. 261-268, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261
- H. Chong. Back, S. J. Lee, G. S. Shin, E. J. Lim, "Effect of Resistance Band Exercise on Body Composition, Physical Fitness and Health Promoting Behavior in Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 310-319, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.310 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.310
- J. W. Lee, J. G. Park, J. E. Lim, "Examining the Moderated Mediation Effects of Past Behavior in the Intention-Exercise Behavior Relationship", Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 55-67, 2015.
- O. H. Cho, K. H. Hwang, H. S. Park, "The Relationships among Freshman Nursing Students' Academic Stress, Depression, and Physical Activity", Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 121-129, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.2.121 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.2.121
- P. W. Bae, "Application of the Transtheoretical Model to Exercise Behavior Change Stages of Women in Nursing College and Factors Affecting the Stages", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, vol. 26. no. 1, pp. 147-157, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.1.147 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.1.147
- Ajzen, I., "The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes", vol. 50, pp. 179-211, 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- B. H. Lee, D. S. Ko, S. Y. Bae, J. S. Noh, M. S. Choi, J. Park, "Factors Associated with Physical Activity among Female College Students: Using TPB", Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 23-31. 2010.
- M. J. Kim, S. K. Kim, "The Structural Relations between Social Support, Exercise Attitude and Intention in Sport Participation of college students based on The Theory of Planned Behavior", The Korea Journal of Sports Science, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 83-99, 2013.
- J. G. Park, "Predicting Adolescents' Intention for Physical Activity and Behavior Using the Theory of Planned Behavior: The Roles of Family Support and Personality", Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 129-144, 2011.
- J. Yoo, "Analyses of the Integrated Action Process Model of Exercise for Older Adults", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 711-724, 2008.
- R. E. Rhodes, G. J. De Bruijn, "How big is the physical activity intention-behaviour gap? A meta-analysis using the action control framework", British Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 18, pp. 296-309, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/bjhp.12032 https://doi.org/10.1111/bjhp.12032
- P. Sheeran, "Intention-behavior relations: A conceptual and empirical review", European Review of Social Psychology, vol. 12, pp. 1-36, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14792772143000003 https://doi.org/10.1080/14792772143000003
- K. S. Courneya, E. McAuley, "Can short-range intentions predict physical activity participation", Perceptual Motor Skills, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 115-122, 1993. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1918.104.22.168
- J. A. Park, M. H. Cho, "Analysis of the relationship among social support, sport participation and school life satisfaction", Journal of Leisure and Recreation Studies, vol. 35 no. 1, pp. 17-28, 2011.
- M. J. Heo, "Physical Activity of College Students Based on Ecological Model", Ewha Women University Master's dissertation, 2014.
- B. Verplanken, S. Orbell, "Reflections on Past Behavior: A Self-Report Index of Habit Strength", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, vol. 33, pp. 1313-1330, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb01951.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb01951.x
- W. Wood, D. T. Neal, "A New Look at Habits and the Habit-Goal Interface", Psychological Review, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 843-863, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.114.4.843 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.114.4.843
- G. J. De Bruijn, "Exercise habit strength, planning and the theory of planned behaviour: An action control approach", Psychology of Sport and Exercise, vol. 12, pp. 106-114, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2010.10.002
- B. D. Suh, "Influencing Factors of Exercise Behavior Change in Nursing Students", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 573-581, 2006.
- G. Godin, R. J. Shephard, "A simple method to assess exercise behaviour in the community", Canadian Journal of Applied Sport Sciences, vol. 10, pp. 141-146, 1985.
- Y. H. Kim, B. J. Cardinal, J. Y. Lee, "Understanding exercise behavior among Korean adults : a test of the transtheoretical model", International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 13, pp. 295-303, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327558ijbm1304_4 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327558ijbm1304_4
- M. S. Kim, "Characteristics of Exercise Attitude and Perceived Behavior Control in Korean College Students Based on The Theory of Planned Behavior", Incheon University, Master's dissertation, 2011.
- M. O. Lee, "structural Equation Modeling On Exercise Adherence in Middle-Aged Who Engage Reguler Exercise", Seoul National University, Doctor's dissertation, 2013.
- J. Y. Park, N. H. Kim, "Relationships between Physical Activity, Health Status, and Quality of Life of University Students", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 153-165, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.153 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.153
- H. S. Lee, Y. H. So, "Analysis of Stages of Change for Exercise Behavior, BMI, Physical Activity Level, and Outcome Expectations in the University Students", Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 135-147, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15831/JKSSPE.2016.21.1.135 https://doi.org/10.15831/JKSSPE.2016.21.1.135
- G. S. Kim, C. Y. Lee, I. S. Kim, T. H. Lee, E. H. Cho, H. K. Lee, K. E. Lee, S. H. Kim, S. H. Moon, S. Lim, S. H. Kim, "Assessing Correlates of Physical Activity Levels in Female University Students" Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 466-479, Dec. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.466 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.466
- W. Y. Chung, S. J. Park, S. G. Park, "The Relationship of Exercise Intention, Self-Efficacy, Health Consciousness, Exercise Behavior of College Students", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, vol. 66, pp. 569-577, 2016.
- M. Hagger, N. Chatzisarantis, S. J. H. Biddle, "A meta-analytic review of the theories of reasoned action and planned behavior in physical activity: Predictive validity and the contribution of additional variables", Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, vol. 24, pp. 3-32, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.24.1.3 https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.24.1.3
- Y. Jin, Y. J. Kim, "Analyses of Theoretical Models for Exercise Adherence", Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 127-139, 2002.
- H. I. Cho, "An Exercise of the Theory of Planned Behaviour in the Participation and Adherence of the Golf", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 277-285, 2002.
- S. G. Park, "Exercise Intention and Behavior: Conditional Process Analysis of Exercise Habits, Self-Efficacy, and Parental Support", Chung-Ang University, Doctor's dissertation, 2015.
- Y. H. Kim, "Integration of the Theory of Planned Behavior with Processes and Stages of Change to Explaining Exercise Behavior Change", Korean Society of Sport Psychology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 205-221, 2005.
- B. Gardner, G. J. de Bruijn, P. Lally, "A systematic review and meta-analysis of applications of the self-reports habit index to nutrition and physical activity behaviors", Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 42. no. 2. pp. 174-187, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-011-9282-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-011-9282-0
- M. S. Ko, "The Comparison in Daily Intake of Nutrients and Dietary Habits of College Students in Busan", Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 259-271, 2007.
- A. L. Rebar, S. Elavsky, J. P. Maher, S. E. Doerksen, D. E. Conroy, "Habits predict physical activity on days when intentions are weak", Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, vol. 36, pp. 157-165, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.2013-0173 https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.2013-0173
- H. K. Lee, S. S. Song, "The Role of Social Support to Improve Physical Activity of College Students", The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 43-50, 2012.
- H. G. Lee, Y. H. Kim, "Application of Integrated Model to Explain College Students Physical Activity", Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 101-111, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14385/KSSP.25.1.101
- Y. H. Seo, H. Moon, J. E. Lee, J. H. Shin, H. J. Jeong, K. Kim, "The prediction of participating in continuous exercise applying extended the theory of planned behavior: focus on participating The Korea Journal of Sports Science, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 221-226, 2015.