- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Review of Failure Mechanisms on the Semiconductor Devices under Electromagnetic Pulses
고출력전자기파에 의한 반도체부품의 고장메커니즘 고찰
- Kim, Dongshin (Electronic Convergence Material & Device Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Koo, Yong-Sung (Electronic Convergence Material & Device Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Kim, Ju-Hee (Electronic Convergence Material & Device Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Kang, Soyeon (Electronic Convergence Material & Device Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Oh, Wonwook (Electronic Convergence Material & Device Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Chan, Sung-Il (Electronic Convergence Material & Device Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute)
- 김동신 (전자부품연구원 융복합전자소재연구센터) ;
- 구용성 (전자부품연구원 융복합전자소재연구센터) ;
- 김주희 (전자부품연구원 융복합전자소재연구센터) ;
- 강소연 (전자부품연구원 융복합전자소재연구센터) ;
- 오원욱 (전자부품연구원 융복합전자소재연구센터) ;
- 천성일 (전자부품연구원 융복합전자소재연구센터)
- Received : 2016.11.28
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
This review investigates the basic principle of physical interactions and failure mechanisms introduced in the materials and inner parts of semiconducting components under electromagnetic pulses (EMPs). The transfer process of EMPs at the semiconducting component level can be explained based on three layer structures (air, dielectric, and conductor layers). The theoretically absorbed energy can be predicted by the complex reflection coefficient. The main failure mechanisms of semiconductor components are also described based on the Joule heating energy generated by the coupling between materials and the applied EMPs. Breakdown of the P-N junction, burnout of the circuit pattern in the semiconductor chip, and damage to connecting wires between the lead frame and semiconducting chips can result from dielectric heating and eddy current loss due to electric and magnetic fields. To summarize, the EMPs transferred to the semiconductor components interact with the chip material in a semiconductor, and dipolar polarization and ionic conduction happen at the same time. Destruction of the P-N junction can result from excessive reverse voltage. Further EMP research at the semiconducting component level is needed to improve the reliability and susceptibility of electric and electronic systems.
Semiconductor devices;Electromagnetic pulse;Failure mechanism;Coupling;Junction breakdown
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- D. V. Giri, F. M. Tesche, "Classification of International Electromagnetic Environments(IEME)," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, no. 3, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2004.831819
- Ianoz, Michel, "A Comparison between HEMP and HPEM parameter. Effects and mitigation methods", Electromagnetic Compatibility and 19th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2008. Asia-Pacific Symposium on. IEEE, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/apemc.2008.4559865
- J. S. Choi, D. W. Im, Electromagnetic pulse generation and application, Physics high technology, pp. 36-41, 2006.
- MK Bumgardner, MA Dreger, JC Giles, GF Ross, "EMP simulators for missiles and airplanes," No. EG/GAL-1026, EG AND G INC ALBUQUERQUE NM ALBUQUERQUE DIV, 1974.
- U. S. Navy, "Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Proposed Operation of the Navy Electromagnetic Pulse Radiation Environment Simulator for Ships in the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean," 1988.
- Jin-Ho Yang, Sang-Wook Nam, "Electromagnetic Pulse Coupling into Naval Warship and Protective Measures," The Journal of Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 426-433, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2014.25.4.426 https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2014.25.4.426
- Waedeuk Kim, "A study on the Improvement Methodology for Protection Design Based on EMP Shielding Effectiveness Test of Reinforced Concrete Facilities," Inhha university in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of master of engineering, 2016.
- Preis. D, "High-Speed Pulse Propagation in Integrated Circuits," TUFTS UNIV MEDFORD MA DEPT OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, 1986.
- AC Metaxas, Roger J Meredith, "Industrial Microwave Heating'', London,(UK), 1983.
- CA Crane, ML Pantoya, BL Weeks, "Spatial observation and quantification of microwave heating in materials," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 084705, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4818139 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4818139
- JH Yee, WJ Orvis, LC Martin, "Theoretical Modeling of EMP Effects in Semiconductor Junction Devices", Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California, USA, 1983.
- Jeni Anto, Raj C Thiagarajan, "Coupled Electromagnetic and Heat Transfer Simulations for RF Applicator Design for Efficient Heating of Materials," simulation, Vol. 1, no. 5, 2012.
- Zhiwei Peng, Jiann-Yang Hwang and Matthew Andriese, "Absorber Impedance Matching in Microwave Heating," IOP science, Vol. 5, no. 7, 2012.
- Jiping Cheng, Rustum Roy, Dinesh Agrawal, "Experimental proof of major role of magnetic field losses in microwave heating of metal and metallic composites," Journal of Materials Science Letters, Vol. 20, no. 17, pp. 1561-1563, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017900214477 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017900214477
- Jiping Cheng, Rustum Roy, Dinesh Agrawal, "Radically different effects on materials by separated microwave electric and magnetic fields," Material Research Innovations, Vol. 5, no. 3-4, pp. 170-177, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10019-002-8642-6
- Rustum Roy, Ramesh Peelamedu, Craig Grimes, Jiping Cheng, Dinesh Agrawal, "Major phase transformations and magnetic property changes caused by electromagnetic fields at microwave frequencies," Journal of materials research, Vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 3008-3011, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1557/JMR.2002.0437
- Lev Davidovich Landau, JS Bell, MJ Kearsley, LP Pitaevskii, EM Lifshitz, JB Sykes, Electrodynamics of continuous media, Vol. 8, elsevier, 2013.
- Pedro M Aguiar, Jacques-Francois Jacquinot, Dimitris Sakellariou, "Experimental and numerical examination of eddy (Foucault) currents in rotating micro-coils: Generation of heat and its impact on sample temperature," Journal of Magnetic Resonance, Vol. 200, no. 1, pp. 6-14, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmr.2009.05.010
- Desgardin G Cherradi, J Provost, B Raveau, "Electric and magnetic field contributions to the microwave sintering of ceramics," Electroceramics IV, Vol. 2, pp. 1219-12224, 1994.
- Ziping Cao, Zhanjie Wang, Noboru Yoshikawa, Shoji Taniguchi, "Microwave heating origination and rapid crystallization of PZT thin films in separated H field," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 092003, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/41/9/092003 https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/41/9/092003
- Yi Zhang, Ya Zhai, "Magnetic Induction Heating of Nanosized Ferrite Particles," INTECH Open Access Publisher, 2011.
- RE Haimbaugh, "Theory of Heating by Induction," Practical Induction Heat Treating, pp. 5-11, 2001.
- Satoshi Horikoshi, Takuya Sumi, Nick Serpone, "Unusual effect of the magnetic field component of the microwave radiation on aqueous electrolyte solutions," Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 215-228, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/08327823.2012.11689838 https://doi.org/10.1080/08327823.2012.11689838
- Kurt H Jurgen Buschow, Handbook of magnetic materials. Vol. 15, Elsevier, 2003.
- Wallace B Smith, Duane H Pontius, PAUL P Budenstein, "Second breakdown and damage in junction devices," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 731-744, 1973. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/T-ED.1973.17735 https://doi.org/10.1109/T-ED.1973.17735
- Zhiwei Peng, Jiann-Yang Hwang, Chong-Lyuck Park, Byoung-Gon Kim, Gerald Onyedika, "Numerical analysis of heat transfer characteristics in microwave heating of magnetic dielectrics," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 1070-1078, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-011-1014-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-011-1014-3
- Zhiwei Peng, Jiann-Yang Hwang, Joe Mouris, Ron Hutcheon, Xiaodi Huang, "Microwave penetration depth in materials with non-zero magnetic susceptibility," ISIJ international, Vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1590-1596, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.50.1590 https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.50.1590
- Wen Chen, Bernhard Gutmann, C Oliver Kappe, "Characterization of Microwave-Induced Electric Discharge Phenomena in Metal-Solvent Mixtures," Chemistry Open, Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 39-48, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/open.201100013
- Yuna Kim, Jongwon Lee, Jin Soo Choi, Doo-Soo Kim, Jong-Gwan Yook, "Transient Thermal Analysis of MOSFET in Metallic Enclosure Illuminated by Electromagnetic Pulse', European Electromagnetics Symposium, 2016.
- Joo-II Hong, Sun-Mook Hwang, Cheong-Ho Hwang, Shin-Woo Park, Chang-Su Huh, "Destruction Effect of Semiconductors by Impact of Artificial Microwave," proc. of The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers. pp. 1609-1610, 2006.
- Joo-Il Hong, Sun-Mook Hwang, Chang-Su Huh, "Breakdown and Destruction Characteristics of the CMOS IC by High Power Microwave," The transactions of The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1282-1287, 2007.