- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Simple Model for Preliminary Design of Hexagrid Tall Building Structure
헥사그리드 고층건물구조의 예비설계를 위한 단순모델
- Lee, Han-Ul (Department of Architectural Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Young-Chan (Department of Architectural Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2017.02.06
- Accepted : 2017.06.09
- Published : 2017.06.30
High-rise building shapes are changing from orthogonal to irregular form and the current trend is to arrange members in geometric grid-patterns at the perimeter of buildings. This study proposes a simple model for the preliminary design of a hexagrid high-rise building. The size of the cross section is set to be different at each module and hexagrid unit, which is different from the previous studies in which all hexagrid members were the same. To examine the effect of hexagrid size on structural performance, 60-story hexagrid buildings with 1-, 2- and 4-story high modules are designed and analyzed. Maximum lateral displacement, steel tonnage, load carrying percentage of perimeter frame and combined strength ratio are compared for 15 buildings. As the lateral load carrying capacity of hexagrid structure was inferior to a diagrid structural system, proper lateral stiffness should be allocated to the core frame in a hexagrid structure. The best ratio of flexural to shear deformation was 4 and larger unit size was better in considering constructional cost and structural efficiency. As the maximum lateral displacements of the buildings were within 84%~108% of the limit, the proposed method seems to be applicable to preliminary design of hexagrid buildings.
Combined strength ratio;Hexagrid;Preliminary design;Simple model;Tall building
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Mir M. Ali, K. S. Moon, Structural Development in Tall Buildings: Current Trends and Future Prospects, Architectural Science Review, vol. 50.3, pp. 205-223, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3763/asre.2007.5027 https://doi.org/10.3763/asre.2007.5027
- K. S. Moon, J. J. Connor, J. E. Fernandez, Diagrid Structural Systems for Tall Buildings: Characteristics and Methodology for Preliminary Design, The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, vol. 16.2, pp. 205-230, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.311 https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.311
- J. H. M de Meijer, Lateral Stiffness of Hexagrid Structures, Master's thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, Department of the Built Environment, 2012.
- G. M. Montuori, M. Fadda, G. Perrela, E. Mele, Hexagrid - hexagonal tube structures for tall building: patterns, modeling, and design, The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, Vol. 24, pp. 912-940, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1218
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Korean Building Code-Structural, 2016.
- MIDAS, Gen2017, v855 R2.