- Volume 45 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Application of an IPA Method for the Analysis of Visitor Satisfaction - Focusing on Chinese Visitors in Gyeongju Yangdong Village -
관광객 만족도 분석을 위한 IPA 기법 적용 연구 -경주 양동마을 방문 중국인을 대상으로-
- Cao, Lin-Sen (Dept. of Landscape Architecture, Graduate School, Dongguk University) ;
- Xia, Tian-Tian (Dept. of Landscape Architecture, Graduate School, Dongguk University) ;
- Kang, Tai-Ho (Dept. of Landscape Architecture, Dongguk University Gyeongju Campus)
- Received : 2017.03.02
- Accepted : 2017.05.29
- Published : 2017.06.30
As a simple and practicable method, an Importance-Performance Analysis(IPA) is often used as a tool to study the satisfaction of tourists in Tourism. The IPA has two dimensions to attribute importance and performance(or satisfaction as in satisfaction research), and generally uses an interviewee self-reported approach to acquire performance and importance data. Many scholars have pointed out that the traditional IPA cannot meet the premise of its establishment. Therefore, several revised IPA have been proposed. Among them, Deng's IPA is the most representative. There are not many contrastive analyses between the traditional IPA and revised IPA in academia. The lack of comparative study will make it difficult to judge the difference and effectiveness of different IPA techniques. Taking Gyeongju Yangdong Village as an example, this study investigated and researched the degree of satisfaction of Chinese tourists using the traditional IPA method and Deng's modified IPA method respectively, and then analysed the differences between the two methods and their causes. Based on the analysis results, the study put forward suggestions for the improvement of tourism management in Gyeongju Yangdong Village.
- Chen, W. and S. Y. Huang(2015) Community satisfaction in ethnic villages to tourism exploration based on IPA theory-A case study from Chengyang bridge scenic area in sanjiang. Journal of Guilin University of Technology 35(3): 634-641.
- Chen, X.(2013) The modified importance-performance analysis method and its application in tourist satisfaction research. Tourism Tribune 28(11): 59-66.
- Choi, Y. J., J. I. Hwang and S. H. Han(2015) A study on urban resident's satisfaction of tural tourism. Journal of Rural Tourism 22(2): 59-7.
- Deng, W.(2007) Using a revised importance-performance analysis approach: The case of Taiwanese hot springs tourism. Tourism Management 28(5): 1274-1284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2006.07.010
- Go, F. and W. Zhang(1997) Applying importance-performance analysis to Beijing as an international meeting destination. Journal of Travel Research 35(4): 42-49. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759703500407
- Jeong, S. H. and J. S. Kim(2011) The relationship between the novelty of using a rural village and it's satisfaction and revisit. Journal of Rural Tourism 18(2): 67-85.
- Kang, Y. E. and B. E. Yang(2011) A study on satisfaction by visitors' pull factors and push factors -Focusing on Yangdong ethnic village in Kyeong-Ju. Journal of Korean Society of Rural Planning 17(4): 1-11. https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2011.17.4.001
- Kano, N., N. Seraku, F. Takahashi and S. Tsuji(1984) Attractive quality and must be quality. Hinshitsu (Quality, The Journal of Japanese Society for Quality Control) 14: 39-48.
- Lee, G. J., H. H. Lee and B. H. Song(2007) Analysis on the classification standards and characteristics of experience program in government support rural. Mountain Villages. Journal of Korean Society of Rural Planning 13(3): 73-82.
- Lee, S. C.(2013) A study of evaluation of condominium properties using IPA analysis - Focus on condominiums in Gyeongju. Korea Academic Society of Tourism Management 28(3): 291-306.
- Martilla, J. A. and J. C. James(1977) Importance-performance analysis. The Journal of Marketing 41(1): 77-79. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250495
- Matzler, K. and E. Sauerwein(2002) The factor structure of customer satisfaction: An empirical test of the importance grid and the penaltyreward- contrast analysis. International Journal of Service Industry Management 13(4): 314-332. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230210445078
- Pizman, A. and A. Millman(1993) Dimensions of tourist satisfaction with a destination. Annals of Tourism Research 5: 314-322.
- Sampson, S. E. and M. J. Showalter(1999) The performanceimportance response function: Observations and implications. Service Industries Journal 19(3): 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069900000027
- Suh, C. H., B. M. Kim and H. J. Park(2015) A study on the selection attribute of rural tourism according to the importance-satisfaction analysis. Northeast Asia Tourism Research 11(4): 63-83.
- Yu, W. D. and T. H. Kang(2015) A study on the attractions evaluative systems of Gyeongju historic heritage sites. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 33(3): 103-113. https://doi.org/10.14700/KITLA.2015.33.3.103