- Volume 37 Issue 3
Livestock is considered central component in agricultural sector of Pakistan, provides employment to more than 8 million families. Meat and meat products holds pivotal significance in meeting dietary requirements serving as major protein source and provide essential vitamins and minerals. Globally, consumer demand is increasing for healthy, hygienic and safe meat and meat products due to growing population, income level and food choices. As, food choices are mainly influenced by region, religion and economic level. However, religion is one of the major factor to influence the food choices. In this context, halal foods a growing trend, trade estimated to cross USD $ 3 trillion and among this, meat sector contribute about US$ 600 billion. Halal meat and allied products is requirement from Muslims but it is also accepted by non-Muslims due to safe and hygienic nature, nutritious value and superior quality. Pakistan meat industry is vibrant and has seen rigorous developments during last decade as government also showed interest to boost livestock production and processing facilities to meet increasing local and global demand. The industry has potential to grow owing to its natural animal rearing capability, muslim majority country (96% of total population), improvisation of market and consumer preference towards halal meat. Current review debates Pakistan meat industry scenario, production trend, global trade as well as future potential with respect to modernization, processing, distribution and trade. The data presented here is useful for meat producers, processors and people involved in export of Pakistani meat and meat based products.
livestock;pakistan meat industry;halal meat;consumer preference;healthy choices
- Aghwan, Z. A., Bello, A. U., Abubakar, A. A., Imlan, J. C., and Sazili, A. Q. (2016) Efficient halal bleeding, animal handling, and welfare: A holistic approach for meat quality. Meat Sci. 121, 420-428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.06.028
- Alahakoon, A. U., Jo, C., and Jayasena, D. (2016) An overview of meat industry in Sri Lanka: A comprehensive review. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 36, 137-144. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.2.137
- Bashir, A., Ahmad, F., Mehmood, I., Qasim, M., Abbas, M., and Hassan, S. (2015) Economics of red meat production in Punjab. Pak. J. Agric. Res. 28, 85-95.
- Binnie, M. A., Barlow, K., Johnson, V., and Harrison, V. (2014) Red meats: Time for a paradigm shift in dietary advice. Meat Sci. 98, 445-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.06.024
- Bruinsma, J. (2003) World agriculture: Towards 2015/2030. An FAO perspective. Earthscan Publications Ltd, London, UK.
- Chang, H. S. (2007) Overview of the world broiler industry: Implications for the Philippines. Asian J. Agri. Dev. 4, 67-82.
- ChartsBin statistics collector team. (2013) Current Worldwide Annual Meat Consumption per capita, chartsbin.com. Available from: http://chartsbin.com/view/12730. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Economic Survey of Pakistan. (2014) Ministry of National Food Security and Research. Government of Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Economic Survey of Pakistan. (2015) Ministry of National Food Security and Research. Government of Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Economic Survey of Pakistan. (2016) Ministry of National Food Security and Research. Government of Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Elam, T. E. (2006) Projections of global meat production through 2050. Center for Global Food Issues. http://farmecon.web.officelive.com/Documents/Projections%20of%20Global%20Meat%20Production%20Through, 202050.
- Farouk, M. M. (2013) Advances in the industrial production of halal and kosher red meat. Meat Sci. 95, 805-820. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.04.028
- Farouk, M. M., Pufpaff, K. M., and Amir, M. (2016) Industrial halal meat production and animal welfare: A review. Meat Sci. 120, 60-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.04.023
- Furnols, F. M. and Guerrero, L. (2014) Consumer preference, behavior and perception about meat and meat products: An overview. Meat Sci. 98, 361-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.06.025
- Garnier, J. P., Klont, R., and Plastow, G. (2003) The potential impact of current animal research on the meat industry and consumer attitudes towards meat. Meat Sci. 63, 79-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00059-1
- GOP, Government of Pakistan. (2012) Milk and meat statistics of Pakistan. Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- GOP, Government of Pakistan. (2015) Milk and meat statistics of Pakistan. Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- GOP, Government of Pakistan. (2016) Milk and meat statistics of Pakistan. Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Henchion, M., McCarthy, M., Resconi, V., and Troy, D. (2014) Meat consumption: Trends and quality matters. Meat Sci. 98, 561-568. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.06.007
- Hussain, J., Rabbani, I., Aslam, S., and Ahmad, H. A. (2015) An overview of poultry industry in Pakistan. World's Poult. Sci. J. 71, 689-700. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933915002366
- Jalil, H., Hussain, S., and Siddiqi, A. F. (2013) An empirical study of meat supply chain and prices pattern in Lahore (Pakistan): A case study. J. Sup. Chain Man. Sys. 2, 1-10.
- Karachi Chamber of commerce and industry (KCCI). (2016) Halal meat sector; time to make most of the edge. 2016. Infoanalysis report compiled and published by Research and Development wing, Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Pakistan.
- Kristensen, L., Stoier, S., Wurtz, J., and Hinrichsen, L. (2014) Trends in meat science and technology: The future looks bright, but the journey will be long. Meat Sci. 98, 322-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.06.023
- Lever, J. and Miele, M. (2012) The growth of halal meat markets in Europe: An exploration of the supply side theory of religion. J. Rural Stud. 28, 528-537. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2012.06.004
- Mathew, V. N. (2014) Acceptance on Halal food among non- Muslim consumers. Procedia-Soc. Behav. Sci. 121, 262-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.1127
- Mathijs, E. (2015) Exploring future patterns of meat consumption. Meat Sci. 109, 112-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.05.007
- Nam, K. C., Jo, C., and Lee, M. (2010) Meat products and consumption culture in the East. Meat Sci. 86, 95-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.026
- Nierenberg, D. (2011) Global meat production and consumption continue to rise. Worldwatch Institute. http://www.worldwatch.org/global-meat-production-and-consumption-continue-rise-1. Accessed on April 26, 2017.
- Noor, A. M. (2015) Demand grows for Pakistani Halal meat. Pak. Food J. 4, 1-3.
- OECD-FAO Agriculture outlook. (2016) Meat consumption (indicator). DOI:10.1787/agr_outlook-2016-en (Accessed April 26, 2017).
- Petrovic, Z., Djordjevic, V., Milicevic, D., Nastasijevic, I., and Parunovic, N. (2015) Meat production and consumption: Environmental consequences. Procedia Food Sci. 5, 235-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profoo.2015.09.041
- Qureshi, S. S., Jamal, M., Qureshi, M. S., Rauf, M., Syed, B. H., Zulfiqar, M., and Chand, N. (2012) A review of Halal food with special reference to meat and its trade potential. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 22, 79-83.
- Rahman, A., Duncan, A., Miller, D., Clemens, J., Frutos, P., Gordon, I., Rehman, A., Baig, A., Ali, F., and Wright, I. (2008) Livestock feed resources, production and management in the agro-pastoral system of the Hindu Kush-Karakoram-Himalayan region of Pakistan: The effect of accessibility. Agri. Systems 96, 26-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2007.05.003
- Sarwar, M., Khan, M. A., and Iqbal, Z. (2002) Status paper feed resources for livestock in Pakistan. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 4, 186-192.
- Smil, V. (2014) Eating meat: Constants and changes. Global Food Sec. 3, 67-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2014.06.001
- Speedy, A. W. (2003) Global production and consumption of animal source foods. J. Nutr. 133, 4048S-4053S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.11.4048S
- Steinfeld, H., Wassenaar, T., and Jutzi, S. (2006) Livestock production systems in developing countries: Status, drivers, Trends. Rev. Sci. Tech. 25, 505-516. https://doi.org/10.20506/rst.25.2.1677
- Tilman, D., Balzer, C., Hill, J., & Befort, B. L. (2011) Global food demand and the sustainable intensification of agriculture. Proceedings of National Academy of Sci. 108, 20260-20264. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1116437108
- Trade and Markets Division. (2013) Food outlook: Biannual report on global food markets. Published by Food and Agriculture organization (FAO). pp. 139.
- Troy, D. J. and Kerry, J. P. (2010) Consumer perception and the role of science in the meat industry. Meat Sci. 86, 214-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.009
- Troy, D. J., Ojha, K. S., Kerry, J. P., and Tiwari, B. K. (2016) Sustainable and consumer-friendly emerging technologies for application within the meat industry: An overview. Meat Sci. 120, 2-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.04.002
- Vandendriessche, F. (2008) Meat products in the past, today and in the future. Meat Sci. 78, 104-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.10.003
- Younas, M. and M. Yaqoob. (2005) Feed resources of livestock in the Punjab, Pakistan. Livestock Res. Rural Develop. 17(2). Retrieved April 26, 2017, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd17/2/youn17018.htm.
- Zhou, G., Zhang, W., and Xu, X. (2012) China's meat industry revolution: Challenges and opportunities for the future. Meat Sci. 92, 188-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.04.016