- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Cultural Competence and Influencing Factors of Dental Hygiene Students
- Han, Ji-Hyoung (Department of Dental Hygiene, Suwon Science College) ;
- Kim, Ki-Eun (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Eulji University)
- Received : 2017.04.14
- Accepted : 2017.05.28
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate the level of cultural competence and its influencing factors among 530 dental hygiene students. The analysis was performed using PASW Statistics ver. 18.0, and the following conclusions were drawn. Cultural knowledge levels showed a significant difference according to general characteristics in four components of cultural competence levels. Cultural competence and its four components were higher in subjects who have a religion (p<0.05). The differences in cultural competence levels according to culture-related characteristics are as follows. In individuals with experience of taking foreign culture-related classes, intention to work overseas, or fluency in a foreign language, cultural competence levels and its four components such as cultural comfort, knowledge, awareness, and behavior intent were higher (p<0.05). Intention of overseas employment was the factor most strongly influencing the level of cultural competence of the subjects. The more intention the subjects have to work overseas, the more they have experienced foreign culture-related lessons, the more fluently they speak a foreign language, and the higher level of cultural competency they reached (p<0.05). As the research results show, it is necessary to establish a continuing plan to understand and communicate with individuals of other cultures through foreign language and foreign culture classes in schools in order to improve the level of cultural competence. This education would reduce the fear and stress that subjects might make a mistake in meeting with people from other cultures, and it could be a preparatory process to actively carry out dental hygiene practice with foreigners.
- Ministry of Public Administration and Security: Statistics on foreign residents by local governments in 2015. Retrieved January 18, 2017, from http://www.moi.go.kr/frt/bbs/type010/commonSelectBoardArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000008&nttId=56680(2016, November 14).
- Cho MK, Jang HY: Factors influencing cultural competency among nursing students. J Korean Data Anal Soc 17: 2795-2808, 2015.
- Park YH: Build capacity for international health agenda on the "Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development". Health Policy Manag 25: 149-151, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2015.25.3.149
- International Council of Nurses: Position statement cultural and linguistic competence. Retrieved February 20, 2017, from http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/publications/position_statements/B03_Cultural_Linguistic_Competence.pdf(2013).
- Cohen JA: Two portraits of caring: a comparison of the artists, Leininger and Watson. J Adv Nurs 16: 899-909, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1991.tb01794.x
- Betancourt JR, Green AR, Carrillo JE, Park ER: Cultural competence and health care disparities: key perspectives and trends. Health Aff (Millwood) 24: 499-505, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.24.2.499
- Calvillo E, Clark L, Ballantyne JE, Pacquiao D, Purnell LD, Villarruel AM: Cultural competency in baccalaureate nursing education. J Transcult Nurs 20: 137-145, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659608330354
- Chae DH, Park YH, Kang KH, Lee TH: A study on factors affecting cultural competency of general hospital nurses. J Korean Nurs Admin Acad Soc 18: 76-86, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- Giger JN: Transcultural nursing. Assessment and intervention. 7th ed. Elsevier Health Sciences, St. Louis, pp.2-18, 2016.
- Campinha-Bacote J: Becoming culturally competent in ethnic psychopharmacology. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 45: 27-33, 2007.
- Schim SM, Doorenbos AZ, Miller J, Benkert R: Development of a cultural competence assessment instrument. J Nurs Meas 11: 29-40, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1891/jnum.184.108.40.206062
- Kim SH: Transcultural self-efficacy and educational needs for cultural competence in nursing of Korean nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs 43: 102-113, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.102
- Kim DH, Kim SE: Cultural competence and factors influencing cultural competence in nursing students. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 22: 159-168, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.3.159
- Seo YS, Kwon YC: Factors influencing to the cultural competence in nursing students. J Digit Converg 12: 415-423, 2014.
- Peek EH, Park CS: Effects of a multicultural education program on the cultural competence, empathy and self-efficacy of nursing students. J Korean Acad Nurs 43: 690-696, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- Song EJ, Yang YK, Park SK: Effects on critical thinking disposition and empathy on cultural competency in nursing students. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 25: 347-355, 2016. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.347
- Cha YR, Yang SJ: Factor related to cultural competence among baccalaureate nursing students in Korea. Health Nurs 26: 13-26, 2014.
- Bae YS: A study on the relationship between cultural competence and empathy of nursing students. J East-West Nurs Res 21: 52-60, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2015.21.1.52
- Yang SY, Lim HN, Lee JH: The study on relationship between cultural competency and empathy of nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 19: 183-193, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183
- Ko MS, Choi EH, Choi KO: A study on the relationship of cultural competence, self efficacy and job stress in nurses caring for hospitalized foreign patients. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 22: 68-77, 2016.
- Lee JY, Lee HK, Kim S, Jang YS: Comparison of perceived nurses' cultural competence of nurses and foreign patients. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 20: 267-278, 2014.
- Park JS: Study on cultural competence of nurses working in general hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu, 2011.
- Caffrey RA, Neander W, Markle D, Stewart B: Improving the cultural competence of nursing students: results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an international immersion experience. J Nurs Educ 44: 234-240, 2005.
- Son S, Shin HJ: The meaning and role of spirituality and religion in social work practice. Theol Forum 59: 201-226, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17301/tf.2010.59..009
- Song YJ: Effects of contact on attitudes toward foreigners. KJPS 36: 1-19, 2013.
- Koskinen L, Campbell B, Aarts C, et al.: Enhancing cultural competence: trans-atlantic experiences of European and Canadian nursing students. Int J Nurs Pract 15: 502-509, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2009.01776.x
- Jin KN, Kim JJ, Sung DH, Hwang SK, Jung WJ: Cultural competence of global healthcare providers in healthcare setting: case study of Seoul area. Health Soc Welf Rev 30: 581-598, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2010.30.2.581
- Lee MS, Park YM: Cultural competency by multicultural experience of college students. J Digit Converg 14: 657-665, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.657