- Volume 41 Issue 3
The key word (KW) is a set of words to clearly express the important causations of marine accidents; they are determined by a judge in a Korean maritime safety tribunal. The selection of KW currently has two main issues: one is maintaining consistency due to the different subjective opinion of each judge, and the second is the large number of KW currently in use. To overcome the issues, the systematic framework used to construct KW's needs to be optimized with a minimal number of KW's being derived from a set of Common Words (CW). The purpose of this study is to identify a set of CW to develop the systematic KW construction frame. To fulfill the purpose, the word reduction method to find minimum number of CW is proposed using P areto distribution function and Pareto index. A total of 2,642 KW were compiled and 56 baseline CW were identified in the data sets. These CW, along with their frequency of use across all KW, are reported. Through the word reduction experiments, an average reduction rate of 58.5% was obtained. The estimated CW according to the reduction rates was verified using the Pareto chart. Through this analysis, the development of a systematic KW construction frame is expected to be possible.
Marine Accidents;Key Word;Causation Classification;Word Reduction;Pareto Distribution;Pareto Index
- Armour Philip, Burkhauser R. V. and Larrimore Jeff(2014), "Using the Pareto distribution to improve estimates of topcoded earnings", white paper, NBER WORKING PAPER SERIES, Working Paper 19846, pp. 1-18, http://www.nber.org/papers/w19846.
- Brynjolfsson Erik, Hu Yu and Simester Duncan(2007), "Goodbye Pareto Principle, Hello Long Tail: The Effect of Search Costs on the Concentration of Product Sales", white paper, version November 2007, pp. 1-39, http://ebusiness.mit.edu/research/papers/2007.11_Brynjolfsson_Hu_Simester_Goodbye%20Pareto%20Principle_276.pdf.
- Cho S. S., Jang E. J. and Yim, J. B.(2015), "Research on the Numerical Data Construction for Marine Accidents," Proc. of Spring Seminar 2015, Korean Institute of Navigation and Port Research, pp. 193-195
- Fialova Alena, Jureckova Jana and Picek Jan(2004), "Estimating Pareto tail index based on sample means", REVSTAT - Statistical Journal, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 75-100.
- Finkelstein M., Tucker G. H. and Veeh J. A.(2006), "Pareto tail index estimation revised," North American Actuarial Journal, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 1-10.
- IMO(1997), CODE FOR THE INVESTIGATION OF MARINE CASUALTIES AND INCIDENTS, Resolution A.849(20) adopted on 27 November 1997, Appendix : Guidelines to assist investigators in the implementation of the Code.
- Jang E. J., Kang Y. M. and Yim J. B.(2016), "On the Analysis of Key Word in Korea Maritime Safety Tribunal to Prevent Human Error in Maritime Accidents", KAOSTS Joint Seminar 2016, Program book of Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, pp. 196-198.
- KMST(2003), "Machinery damaged accident for fishing ship No. 77 Dong-Myeong HO", Accident Analysis Report by Eastern KMST, No. 2003-001
- KMST(2007), "Final report 2007 for the analysis of judged prejudication of Korea Maritime Safety Tribunal", pp. 1-366.
- KMST(2014), 2014 Statistical Annual Report to Maritime Causalities (2008-2014 combined), Korea Maritime Safety Tribunal, pp. 1-118.
- KMST(2015), Web site for the Investigation and Judgement Information Portal of Maritime Causalities, http://data.kmst.go.kr/kmst/verdict/verdictAbstract/selectVerdictAbstract.do.
- KMST(2016), "Final report 2016 for the analysis of judged prejudication of Korea Maritime Safety Tribunal", Pub. reg. number 11-1192251-000012-01, pp. 1-57.
- MOF(2013), Law for the Investigation and Judgement of Maritime Causalities, No. 11690
- Rytgaard M.(1990), "Estimation in the Pareto distribution", Astin Bulletin, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 201-216. https://doi.org/10.2143/AST.20.2.2005443
- Sousa D. B. and Michailidis George(2004), "A Diagnostic Plot for Estimating the Tail Index of a Distribution", Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1198/1061860043119
- Vilar-Zanon L. Jose and Lozano-Colomer Cristina(2007), "On Pareto conjugate priors and their application to large claims reinsurance premium calculation," Astin Bulletin, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 405-428. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0515036100014938
- Wikipedia(2016), Pareto index, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_index.
- Yim, J. B.(2009a), Development of Quantitative Risk Assessment Methodology for the Maritime Transportation Accident of Merchant Ship, Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 9-19 https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2009.33.1.009
- Yim, J. B.(2009b), Implementation Techniques for the Seafarer's Human Error Assessment Model in a Merchant Ship: Practical Application to a Ship Management Company, Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 181-191 https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2009.33.3.181
- Yim J. B., Yang W. J. and Kim H. T.(2014), Maritime Accident Analysis - Maritime Accident Analysis and Prevention in the View Point of Ship Operation, Jeilkihok, Mokpo, pp. 1-391.