- Volume 67 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Characteristics of Mediation in Fashion Culture Contents Found in Transmedia - Focusing on Modern Fashion since the 20th Century -
트랜스미디어에 나타난 패션 문화 콘텐츠의 매개특성 연구 - 20세기 이후 현대 패션사를 중심으로 -
- Kim, Hyangja (Pusan National University/Clothing & Textiles)
- 김향자 (부산대학교 의류학과)
- Received : 2017.05.19
- Accepted : 2017.06.19
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this study is to analyze modern fashion culture in the 20th century through changes in transmedia in order to better understand characteristics of fashion contents. The study also strived to identify the characteristics of remediation in modern fashion and media by exploring the cultural code, and use it to establish an integrated view. The subjects and the method of the study are as follows. First, the study analyzed the development of transmedia and fashion culture since the 20th century. Second, it identified the transitional characteristics of transmedia. Third, the study analyzed the characteristics of remediation in modern fashion culture by using the characteristics of mediation, which appeared with the transitional characteristics of transmedia. The study results are as follows. First, the types of remediation are 'borrowing,' 'Representation,' 'Expansion,' 'Refashion,' and 'Absorb.' In old and new media, each type can be aesthetically experienced in 'transparency,' opaqueness,' 'Hypermediacy,' and 'Immediacy.' Second, fashion culture can undergo a transformation from its original form to a second and a third iteration, and this process allows for possibility of an expansion of multiple plots and well-rounded character settings. This opens up the possibility for fashion consumer participation, and signifies a transition into an environment where expansion of time and space is possible. The third finding is the non-mediation of fashion objects. The mediating relationship between clothes and media is directly connected to the development of new media. The immersion of new media by fashion consumers has the characteristics of 'transparency'/'Non-mediation,' and the reinterpretation and reproduction of original fashion styles have the characteristics of 'opaqueness'/'Hyper-mediation.' Fourth, fashion culture has data variability. Through 'Borrowing,' 'Representation,' 'Expansion,' 'Remodeling,' and 'Absorption,' the cultural hierarchy of reproduced fashion forms a multi-layered integrated network. Mediation code, which repurposes fashion culture contents, also creates new media fashion through transmedia.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Aarseth, E. (2006). The Culture and Business of Cross-Media Productions, Popular Communication, 4(3), 210.
- Back, W. I. (2010). Transmedia : Crossing the Boundaries between Media. Humanities beyond borders, 3(1), 197
- Bellery, M. (2003). 20th fashion. (Kim, J.E. Trans.). Seoul, Republic of Korea:Sigongsa. (Original work published 1999).190.
- Blonde ambition tour. (1990). (n.d.-a). Blonde ambition tour. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blond_Ambition_World_Tour
- Bolter & Grusin. (2006). Remediation. (Lee, J. H. Trans.). Seoul: Communicationbooks. (Original work published 1999).
- Cinderella 2. (2002). (n.d.-g). Cinderella 2. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_II:_Dreams_Come_True
- Cinderella. (2015). (n.d.). Cinderella. Movie.daum.net. Retrieved from http://movie.daum.net/moviedb/main?movieId=86539
- Code of credits: new media. Code of credits. Producersguild.org. Retrieved from http://www.producersguild.org/?page=coc_nm#transmedia
- Dark night. (2008). Dark night. Imdb.com. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/
- Eisenhardt, Kathleen M. (2007). Building Theories from Case Study Research. [The Academy of Management Review]. Building Theories from Case Study Research, 14(3), 532-550. Retrieved from http://web.a.ebscohost.com.eproxy.pusan.ac.kr/bsi/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=3&sid=e94ea9a1-6bd9-45ec-99b3-b492a4985d76%40sessionmgr4008
- Elizabeth, L.(1976). Costume Design in the movies(1st ed), Newyork, United States; Dover.
- Fitzgerald. F.(1931). Echoes of the jazz Age[PDF document]. Pdcrodas.webs.ull.es. Retrieved from https://pdcrodas.webs.ull.es/anglo/ScottFitzgeraldEchoesOfTheJazzAge.pdf
- Garconne Magazine.1930-1933.(n.d.).Garconne Magazine. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gar%C3%A7onne_(magazine)
- Grease. (1978).(n.d.-d). Grease. Imdb.com. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077631/mediaviewer/rm1658689792
- Great Expectations. (1917). (n.d.-b). Great Expectations. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Expectations
- Great Expectations. (1998).(n.d.-y). Great Expectations.Imdb.com. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119223/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
- Hair.(1979). (n.d.). Hair. Namu.wiki. Retrieved from https://namu.wiki/w/%ED%97%A4%EC%96%B4
- Ham, J. H. (2012). Underground Comics and Hippie Culture. Cartoon & Animation Studies, 28, 55-78. https://doi.org/10.7230/KOSCAS.2012.28.055
- I Love Lucy Displays & Exhibits. (2016, April 15). I Love Lucy Displays & Exhibits. Lucy-desi.com. Retrieved from http://www.lucy-desi.com/attractions/desilustudios/
- I love lucy. (n.d.). I love lucy. Shop.lucy-desi.com. ko.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EC%99%88%EA%B0%80%EB%8B%A5_%EB%A3%A8%EC%8B%9C
- I love lucy. (2016, April 15). I love lucy. Shop.lucy-desi.com. Retrieved from http://shop.lucy-desi.com/storefront/productdetail.aspx?idproduct=21482
- Jenkins, H. (2008). Convergence culture. (Kim, J. H. Trans.). Seoul: Biz and biz. 422.(Original work published 2001).
- Jeong, T. W. (2003). A Case of The Snows of Kilimanjaro (the Movie and Novel) ;An Overturn of the Plot of an Original Work and the Public's Taste. Journal of modernenglish, 47, 165-180.
- Jin, D. S. (2011). Failed Internet Company Case Analysis. Journal of Korea Information and Communications Society, 12, 161-174.
- Jo, S. B.(2011). Phenomenological study of the interface design remediation. Journal of digitaldesign, 30, 201-210
- Kang, H. S. (2012). Clothing as a medium and the interrelationship. Journal of Korean society of designtrend, 34, 357-270.
- Kim, E. Y. & Kim, H.S.(2012). A study of media remediation on comics, HDTV drama and movie. Journal of Research on Korean Journalism, 12(2), 240-273.
- Kim, H. J. (2015).Aeathetic characteristics of performance costumes in the Nouvelle dance works. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 65(5), 126-141. doi:10.7233/jksc.2015.65.5.126 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2015.65.5.126
- Kim, H. J. (2017).Costume code analysis placed Miseen-abyme in the movie. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 67(1), 130-146. doi 10.7233/jksc.2017.67.1.130 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2017.67.1.130
- Kim, J. H. (2008). The New York Intellectuals and Mass Culture in the 1930-40s. Journal of American studies, 40(3), 5-38.
- Kim, J. H. (2012). The Sheik and a Love: Romance, Gender and Sexuality in the American Culture 1920s. History and culture, 23, 341-367.
- Kim, M. Y. (2014). Exploratory Study on Global Marketing Strategy for the Dongdaemun Fashion District. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 3, 47-66. doi:10.7233/jksc.2014.64.3.047
- Lee, J. J. & Park, S. M.(2011). Fashion culture(1st ed.). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Yekyong, 114-115.
- Lucille Ball. (2016, April 15). I love lucy. Cbsstore.com. Retrieved from http://www.cbsstore.com/i-love-lucy/index.php?v=cbs-ilovelucy
- Magical Mystery Tour.(1967).(n.d.-b). Magical Mystery Tour. Movie.naver.com. Retrieved from http://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/basic.nhn?code=74464
- Man of stile.(2003). (n.d.-c). Man of stile. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Steel_(film)
- Manequin 2.(1991).(n.d.). Manequin 2. Imdb.com. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102395/
- Manovich, L. (2014). The Language of New Media.(Seo, J.S. Trans.). Seoul. Republic of Korea: Communicationbooks. (Original work published 2001)
- Matrix.2 Reroaded. (2003).(n.d.-c). Matrix.2 Reroaded. Imdb.com. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234215/mediaviewer/rm2544013824
- Mcluhan, H. M.(2011). Understanding media.(S. H. Kim, Trans.). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Communicationbooks.(Original work published 1964). 60-80.
- Pierre Levy. (2002). Collective intelligence; Mankind's Emerging world in cyberspace. Seoul. Republic of Korea: Munhakkwajisungsa. (Original work published 1997)
- Rebel without a Caus. (1955).(n.d.-o). Rebel without a Caus. Imdb.com. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048545/mediaviewer/rm3901169408
- Saturday Night Fever The Musical.(n.d.). Saturday Night Fever The Musical. Todayonline.com. Retrieved from http://www.todayonline.com/entertainment/art
- Saturdaynight fever.(1977). Saturdaynight fever. Terms.naver.com. Retrieved from http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=972473&cid=42619&categoryId=42619.
- Shin, D. H., & Kim, H. K.(2010). A Study of Transmedia Contents: Storytelling and Conceptualization. The Korea Contents Society, 10(10),180-187.
- Snow White and the Huntsman.(2012). (n.d.-a). Snow White and the Huntsman. Movie.naver.com. Retrieved from http://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/mediaView.nhn?code=79566&mid=17795 12 | 2h 7min | Action, Adventure, Drama | 31 May 2012 (South Korea)
- Snow White. (2001).(n.d.-h). Snow White. Imdb.com. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255605/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3 1h 33min | Adventure, Family, Fantasy | TV Movie 17 March 2002
- Son, J. H. (2009). The Flapper as a Cultural Icon of American Women of the 1920s in Fitzgerald's Works. Journal of American studies, 41(2), 133-159.
- Star Trek fashion analysis. (2016, April 15). Star Trek fashion analysis. Thesnipenews.com. Retrieved from http://www.thesnipenews.com/movies/star-trek-fashion/
- The Batman:the brave and the bold. (2008-2011).(n.d.-e). The Batman: the brave and the bold. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Brave_and_the_Bold
- The great Gatsby. (1974). (n.d.-k). The great Gatsby. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gatsby_(1974_film)
- Total recall game. (2012). (n.d.).Total recall game. Smart.gameshot.net. Retrieved from http://smart.gameshot.net/?fn=9&no=4294938893&bbs=ip_news
- Total recall gane. (2012). (n.d.-d). Total recall. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Recall_(2012_film)
- Transformative Works and Cultures. (2015 April 1). Journal.transformativeworks.org. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.3983/twc.2013.0525. http://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/525/410
- Transmedia storytelling. (2016, April 15). Transmedia storytelling.Naver. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-media_storytelling.
- Yellow Submarine.(1968). (n.d.-b).Yellow Submarine. Movie.naver.com. Retrieved from http://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/photoView.nhn?code=18565&imageNid=6458132#tab
- Zoot suit. (1981). (n.d.-f). Zoot suit. En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_suit
- Zoot suit.(1941). Zoot suit. Streetswing.com. Retrieved from http://www.streetswing.com/histmai2/d2zoot1.htm