- Volume 67 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the AncientJade by Analyzing 'Gui', 'Bi', and 'Hwang' Recorded in 『Zhouli』
『주례(周禮)』에 기록된 고옥(古玉) '규(圭)·벽(璧)·황(璜)'에 관한 연구
- Park, Na Na (Dept. of Fashion design, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Cho, Woo Hyun (Dept. of Fashion design, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2017.04.10
- Accepted : 2017.06.16
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study aims to investigate the role and function of costume in the ancient society by analyzing the jade decorations, 'Gui', 'Bi', and 'Hwang,' recorded in "Zhouli". The method of study consisted of researching the record book "Zhouli" and comparing the antiquities with the images of the jades. Firstly, the jade decorations were different depending on class. The class system in Zhou dynasty was made up of 6 grades - emperor, duke, marquis, count, viscount, and baron. The jade decorations used by people in these grades were called 'Gui', 'Bi', and 'Hwang'. Secondly, this study grasped the system of 'Gui', 'Bi', and 'Hwang.' It identified 7 types of duties by matching the decorations on the jade to specific institutions. 'Gui', 'Bi', and 'Hwang' played a huge role in forming and maintaining to order and system during the chaotic Zhou dynasty. In addition, it became an essential part of understanding status, society, and political structure within a family power structure.
- Bi. (2017, March 20). In Korea Dictionary Research Publishing online.Retrieved from http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=260871&cid=42635&categoryId=42635
- National museum of Korea. Retrieved from http://www.museum.go.kr/site/main/relic/search/view?relicId=489)
- Busan museum (2007). (Shanghai museum collection) Chinese Ancient Bronze.Jade. Busan, Korea: Busan museum Publisher.
- Choi, G. S. (2007). A historical and cultural study on emperor's Mianfu of China(Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Donghua, Shanghai, China.
- Dankook University Oriental Studies. (2007). Chinese-Korean Dictionary Vol. 2. [漢韓大辭典]. Yongin, Republic of Korea: Dankook University Publisher.
- Gui. (2017, March 20). In Doopedia online. Retrieved from http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=1164941&cid=40942&categoryId=32094
- Hsu, S.[許愼] (1963). Seol-mun-hae-ja[說文解字]. China: Joonghwaseoguk
- Hong, N. Y. (1990). A Study on the Pae-ok, Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, (8), 1-28.
- Hunun Museum. (2009). Hunun Museum. Hunun, China: Zhangzheong Publisher.
- Huo, T.[霍童]. (2015). A Comparative Study on the Royal Male Clothing System between Korea and China. (Master dissertation, Chung-Ang University, Republic of Korea). Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr.ca.skku.edu:8080/link?id=T13689272
- Hwang, N. B., Wang, S. L., Lee, D. G., & Hwang, G. (2011). Apparel China China apparel 7000[服飾中華-中華服飾七千年]. China: Tsinghua University Publisher.
- Im, M. M. (2001). A Study on the Kuei of the Jade Tablet, Hole of the Ivory Tablet, Ancient Korea and China, Japan. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 51(2), 5-25.
- Jeon, H.(1996). Sam-Li-Tong-Loen[三禮通論]. China: Nanjing Normal University Publisher.
- Jeon, S. G. (2010). A systematic transition from neoconfucianism to realist school of confucianism with Dasan as the central figure(Doctoral dissertation, Korea University, Republic of Korea). Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr.ca.skku.edu:8080/link?id=T12167334
- Jung, H. J. (2013). Zhu Xi's learning of Li(禮): its structure and development(Doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Republic of Korea). Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr.ca.skku.edu:8080/link?id=T13107278
- Kang, H. S (2011). The ancient Chinese dress investigated through Uirye(儀禮)(Master dissertation, Sungky unkwan University, Republic of Korea). Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr.ca.skku. edu:8080/link?id=T12537388
- Kim, A. L. (2013). A study on Li of Confucius(Master dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University, Republic of Korea). Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr.ca.skku.edu:8080/link?id=T13102191
- Kim, Y. S. (2004). (A)dictionary of Korean traditional apparel (3rd ed.). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Misulmunhwa.
- Lee, A. (2010). A study of Zhou dynasty clothing system(Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Jilin University, Jilin, China.
- Lim, S. K. (2003). A Research Regarding the Quality and the Production Method of the Chinese Jade in the Neolithic Age. Soosun Historical Association, 20, 127-171.
- Michael, S. (1991). The art of china. (G. J. Kim & G. J. Kim, Trans.). Paju, Republic of Korea: Jisiksanupsa.(Original work published 1973)
- Mo. (2017, April 4). In Han-Jeon[漢典] online. Retrieved from http://www.zdic.net/z/15/js/5192.htm
- Nab, L. S. D. (1988). Shinjeong Sam-rye-do[新定三禮圖]. (J. T. Jeong Trans.). Shanhai, China: Sanghai gojeok Publisher. (Original work published 1676).
- National Palace Museum of Korea (2010). (The) costume of imperial prince Yeong family. Seoul, Korea: Yemack.
- National Palace Museum of Korea (2012). Making statement of Gui.Bangsimgokryong restoration and dupl icat ion [圭.方心曲領復元複製製作記述書]. Seoul, Korea: National Palace Museum of Korea.
- Peng, Y. E. & Peng, I. H (2008, December 1). Qijiacult ure Okijeongpoom gamsang [齊家文化玉器精品鑒賞][eBook]. China Digital Library. Retrieved from http://www.apabi.com.ca.skku.edu:8080/ebsp/pub.mvc?pid=book.detail&metaid=m.20090915-m904-w066-054&cult=CN&lib=133&libname
- Po, M. S. & Choi, G. S. (2008). System of Production and Supply of Mianfu (冕服) Found in Zhouli(周禮), Studies of China, 4, 364-388.
- Sam, B. J. N. (1995). Dong yang bok jang sa nongo-godaepion[東洋服裝史論攷-古代編], (G. H. M, Trans.). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Gyung choonsa. (Original work published 1979)
- Shin, D. H. (2002). Centering Around with the THE AUTHENTIC OF CHOSUN DYNASTY Document's data = The Study on the Josun Period's Jade Crafts. Journal of Korean cultural history, (18), 199-232.
- Yeo, D. L. (1994). Go ok do[古玉圖]. (D. J. O, D. Song, I. S. Yuk, M. J. Jeong, Y. J. Gu & D. D. Yu Trans.). Shanhai, China: Pachokseosa. (Original work published 1092).
- Zhou, G. (2014). Zhouli[周禮]. (J. Y. Lee, Trans.). Seoul, Republic of Korea: Jayumoongo. (Original work published Warring States Period)
- Zhou, Y. H. (2013). Influence of the Culture of Jade on Traditional Chinese thought of "天人", Journal of the China-eo-moon-non-jip, (83), 449-470.
- Chosunilbosa (2007). Chinese national treasure exhibition. Seoul, Republic of Korea: Soldae.
- Kim, B. Y. (1995). The Study on the China Jade Crafts: Intensive Symbolism.Ancestral rites.Folk. Journal of the Dankook-eo-moon-non-jip, 1, 105-144.