- Volume 6 Issue 2
Fingerprints are increasingly used for user authentication in small devices such as mobile phones. Therefore, it is important for Fingerprint authentication systems in personal devices to protect the user's fingerprint information while performing efficiently with a lightweight matching algorithm. In this paper, we propose a new method to extract strong minutiae with unique numbers from fingerprint images. Strong minutiae are at all times obtained from fingerprint images, and can be useful for secure and rapid fingerprint authentication. The binary information of strong minutiae of a fingerprint can be transformed securely and can create cancelable fingerprint templates. Also the bit-strings of strong minutiae decrease computing time necessary for the matching procedure between two fingerprints due to the simplicity of bitwise operations. First, we enroll several fingerprints images of a finger. From these images we select a reference fingerprint and put a number on each minutia. Following this procedure, we search for mated-minutiae between the reference fingerprint and other fingerprints one by one. Finally we derive unique numbers of strong minutiae of the finger. In the experiment with the FVC2004 fingerprint database, we show that using the proposed method, strong minutiae can be extracted successfully.
- N. Ratha, J. Connell, R. Bolle, and S.Chikkerur, "Cancelable biometrics: A case study in fingerprints," in Proc. of Intl. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 370-373, 2006.
- N. Ratha, S. Chikkerur, J. Connell, and R. Bolle, "Generating cancelable fingerprint templates," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol 29. no.4, pp. 561-172, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2007.1004
- A. Jain, K. Nandakumar, and A. Nagar,"Fingerprint Template Protection: From Theory to Practice," Security and Privacy in Biometrics. Springer London, pp. 187-214, 2012.
- A. Juels and M. Sudan, "A fuzzy vault scheme," in Proc. of IEEE Intl. Symp. on Information Theory, 2002.
- D. Moon, et al., "Fingerprint Template Protection using Fuzzy Vault," LNCS 4707, pp. 1141-1151, 2007.
- D. Maltoni, D. Maio, A. K. Jain, and S. Prabhakar, Handbook of Fingeprint Recognition, Springer-Verlag, London, 2009.
- L. Ballard, S. Kamara, F. Monrose, and M. Reiter, "Towards Practical Biometric Key Generation with Randomized Biometric Templates", CCS'08, October 27-31, 2008, Alexandria, Virginia, USA, 2008.
- N. Ratha, J. Connell, and R. Bolle, and S. Chikkerur, "Cancelable biometrics: A case study in fingerprints", In Intl. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 370-373, 2006.
- N. Ratha, S. Chikkerur, J. Connell, and R. Bolle, "Generating cancelable fingerprint templates", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol 29. No.4, pp. 561-172, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2007.1004
- Ang R, Safavi-Naini R, McAven L. "Cancelable key-based fingerprint templates", In: Information security and privacy:10th Australasian conference(ACISP2005), 2005. p.242-52.
- Lee C, Choi J, Toh K, Lee S, Kim J. "Alignment-free cancelable fingerprint templates based on local minutiae information.", IEEE Transactionson Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part B 2007;37(4):980-92. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2007.896999
- R. Cappelli, M. Ferrara, and D. Maltoni, "Minutia cylinder-code: A new representation and matching technique for fingerprint recognition," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2128-2141, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2010.52
- C. Lee, J. Kim, "Cancelable fingerprint templates using minutiae-based bit-strings", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 33, pp. 236-246, 2010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2009.12.011
- W. J. Wong, M.L.D., Y. H. Kho, "A low complexity multi-line code for cancelable fingerprint template", in Proc. of 2nd International Conference on Convergence Technology 2012, Korea Convergence Society, Qingdao. pp. 61-65, 2012.
- W. J. Wong, A. B. J. Teoh, M. L. D. Wong, Y. H. Kho, "Enhanced multi-line code for minutiae-based fingerprint template protection", Pattern Recognit. Lett. vol. 34, Issue 11, pp. 1221-1229, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2013.03.039
- W. J. Wong, A. B. J. Teoh, Y. H.Kho, M. L. D. Wong, "Kernel PCA enabled bit-string representation for minutiae-based cancellable fingerprint template", Pattern Recongnition, vol. 51, pp.197-208, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2015.09.032
- Z. Jin, M. H. Lim, A. B. J. Teoh, Bo. M. Goi, Y. H. Tay, "Generating Fixed-Length Representation From Minutiae Using Kernel Methods for Fingerprint Authentication", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, vol. 46, Issue 10, Oct. 2016.