- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Phylogeny of Marine Yeasts Isolated from Coastal Seawater in the East Sea of Korea
동해 연안해역에서 분리한 해양효모의 분자계통학적 해석
- Received : 2017.06.15
- Accepted : 2017.06.22
- Published : 2017.06.30
BACKGROUND: Yeasts are used in a variety of industries. However, most industries are biased toward Saccharomyces cerevisiae ; so we sought to explore non-conventional yeasts (NCY). This study aimed to isolate yeasts from seawater collected from the East Sea of Korea and to analyze the NCY. METHODS AND RESULTS: We first collected seawater and performed pure isolation using four kinds of medium (GPY, DOB + CSM, DG18, and SCG). In total, 314 strains and 17 genera were isolated by ITS sequencing, including Aureobasidum pullulans (236 strains), Cryptococcus (19 strains), Cystobasidium (18 strains), and Rhodotorula (9 strains). Upon in-depth analysis, A. pullulans, the most dominant genus (236 strains), was divided into Group II (147 strains), Unknown I (8 strains), and Unknown II (49 strains). CONCLUSION: In this study, a total of 314 strains were isolated from seawater; many of these yeasts have been found and reported in seawater previously. In-depth analysis of A. pullulans, showed the dominance of Group I (21 strains) and Group II (147 strains) We also discovered Unknown I (8 strains) and Unknown II (49 strains), which have not been reported previously.
- Bhat, J., & Kachwalla, N. (1955). Marine yeasts off the Indian coast. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences. Section B, Plant Sciences, 41(1), 9-15.
- Deak, T. (2009). Ecology and biodiversity of yeasts with potential value in biotechnology. Yeast biotechnology: diversity and applications (eds. Satyanarayana, T., and Kunze, G.), pp. 151-168. Springer Science+Business Media B.V., Dordrecht.
- Fell, J. W., Ahearn, D. G., Meyers, S. P., & Roth, F. J. (1960). Isolation of yeasts from Biscayne bay, Florida and adjacent benthic areas. Limnology and Oceanography, 5(4). 366-371. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1960.5.4.0366
- Fell, J. W., & Hunter, I. L. (1968). Isolation of heterothallic yeast strains of Metschnikowia Kamienski and their mating reactions with Chlamydozyma Wickerham spp. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek, 34(1), 365-376. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02046459
- Imai, A., Fukushima, T., Matsushige, K., Kim, Y. H., & Choi, K. (2002). Characterization of dissolved organic matter in effluents from wastewater treatment plants, Water Research, 36(4), 859-870. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00283-4
- Kim, J. S., & Kim, D. S. (2015) Yeasts in the flowers of wild Fleabane [Erigeron annus (L.) Pers]. Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, 34(3), 254-259.
- Kim, J. S., Kim, D. S., Jeon, S. M., & Ko, S. H. (2016a). Yeasts associated with roots of the endemic plant Mankyua chejuense. Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, 35(2), 137-142. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2016.35.2.18
- Kim, J. S., Lee, I. K.., Kim, D. W., & Yun, B. S. (2016b). Aureosurfactin and 3-deoxyaureosurfactin, novel biosurfactants produced by Aureobasidium pullulans L3-GPY. The Journal of Antibiotics. 69, 759-761. https://doi.org/10.1038/ja.2015.141
- Kim, M. C., Kang, C. G., Park, H. Y., Lee, D. S., Kim, Y. S., & Lee, W. J. (2006). Isotopic evidence of marine yeast to artificial culture of Moina macrocopa. The Korean Journal of Microbiology, 42(2), 111-115.
- Kim, Y. H., Lee, S. H., Imai, A., & Matsushige, K. (2002). Characterization of dissolved organic matter in a shallow eutrophic lake and inflowing water. Environmenal Engineering Research, 7(2), 93-101. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2002.7.2.093
- Kohlmeyer, J., & Kohlmeyer, E. (1979). Marine mycology: the higher fungi, pp.1-704. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Kutty, S., & Philip, R. (2008). Marine yeasts - a review. Yeast, 25(7), 465-483. https://doi.org/10.1002/yea.1599
- Liu, J., Liu, Z., Chi, Z., Liang, Zhang, L., & Zhang, D. (2009). Intraspecific diversity of Aureobasidium pullulans strains from different marine environments. Journal of Ocean University Of China, 8(3), 241-246. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11802-009-0241-3
- Munn, C. B. (2004). Marine eukaryotic microbes. In Marine microbiology-ecology and its applications. pp. 135-136. Garland Science, London and New York.
- Oswal , N., Sarma, P. M., & Zinjarde, S. S. (2002). Palm oil mill effluent treatment by a tropical marine yeast. Bioresource Technology, 85(1), 35-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(02)00063-9
- Paula, C. R., Purcho, A., & Gambale, W. (1983). Yeasts from beaches in the southern area of Sao Paulo state Baixada Santista, Brazil. Revista de Microbiologia, 14(2), 136-143.
- Pitt, J. I., & Miller, M. W. (1970). The parasexual cycle in yeasts of the genus Metschnikowia. Mycologia, 62(3), 462-473. https://doi.org/10.2307/3757519
- Renshaw, J. C., Robson, G. D., Trinci, A. P. J., Wiebe, M. G., Livens, F. R., Collison, D., & Taylor, R. J. (2002). Fungal siderophores: structures, functions and applications. Mycological Research, 106(10), 1123-1142. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0953756202006548
- Rhishipal, R., & Philip, R. (1998). Selection of marine yeasts for the generation of single cell protein from prawn-shell waste. Bioresource Technology, 65(3), 255-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(97)00179-X
- Saitou. N., & Nei, M. (1987). The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 4(4), 406-425.
- Satpute, S.K., Banat, I.M., Dhakephalkar, P.K., Banpurkar, A. G., & Chopade, B. A. (2010). Biosurfactants, bioemulsifiers and exopolysaccharides from marine microorganisms. Biotechnology Advances. 28, 436-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2010.02.006
- Tamura, K., Peterson, D., Peterson, N., Stecher, G., Nei, M., & Kumar, S. (2011). MEGA5: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 28(10), 2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Yamasato, K., Goto, S., Ohwada, K., Okuno, D., Araki, H., & Iizuka, H. (1974). Yeast from the Pacific Ocean. Journal of General and Applied Microbiology, 20(5), 289-307. https://doi.org/10.2323/jgam.20.289
- Zaky, A., Tucker, G., Daw, Z., & Du, C. (2014). Marine yeast isolation and industrial application. FEMS Yeast Research, 14(6), 813-825. https://doi.org/10.1111/1567-1364.12158
- Phylogeny of Yeasts Isolated from the Flower of Aster Spathulifolius Maxim. and Screening of Biosurfactant Producers vol.37, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2018.37.4.32
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)