- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Dilemmas of Aging and Down-aging : The Fashion Attitude of Senior Street Look
- Ro, Juhyun (Dept. of Fashion Design, Kookmin University) ;
- Park, Juhee (Dept. of Fashion Design, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2017.06.03
- Accepted : 2017.06.16
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study aimed to analyze the dilemmas of aging and down-aging by the senior street look, and to examine the styling, psychology, and attitudes of the elderly through socio-cultural discussions. It was conducted through a multidisciplinary literature review and empirical analysis of seniors featured in fashion photos collected from SNS. With respect to seniors' fashion attitudes, firstly, they make personal/social records of dress as a means of recording aging and to reminiscence. Secondly, they attempt to down-age kidult play using mature humor. Thirdly, they try to express a perfect, moderate, and mature beauty to positively adapt themselves to aging. Fourthly, they adopt a regional and ethnic look to escape from the dilemmas accompanying aging and down-aging. This may be regarded as an attitude for repositioning themselves and planning a new life by escaping from a long-standing frame. Finally, they show a desire to stop and enjoy the moment of aging. While recording their cherished everyday lives, they enjoy the present rather than becoming concerned about the past or the future and use styling as a cure for their lives.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Adams, S. J. (2015, December 18). Saramai at London. Retrieved from http://www.instagram.com/saramaijewels
- Adams, S. J. (2016, June 26). Saramai's jacket. Retrieved from http://www.instagram.com/saramaijewels
- Ahn, B. J. (2012). Reflections on history of old age: A review of the European and American historiography of old age and aging. The Journal of Western History, 47, 179-232.
- Amery, J. (2014). 늙어감에 대하여: 저항과 체념 사이에서 [Uber das altern: Revolte und resignation] (H. S. Kim, Trans.). Paju: Dolbegae. (Original work published 1968)
- Apfel, I. (2016, April 11). Iris's collection. Retrieved from http://www.instagram.com/iris.apfel
- Choi, M. S. (2014). (21세기에 만난) 한국 노년소설 연구 [The Korea old age novel research that met in the 21st century]. Seoul: Pureunsasang
- Cohen, A. S. (2010a, September 27). The right to wear bright colors. Retrieved from http://www.advanced.style/2010/09/right-to-wear-bright-colors.html
- Cohen, A. S. (2010b, November 27). A tail inspired by Chanel. Retrieved from http://www.advanced.style/2010/11/tail-inspired-by-chanel.html
- Cohen, A. S. (2011, November 17). Richard and Carol: A lifetime of style together. Retrieved from http://www.advanced.style/2011/11/richard-and-carol-lifetime-of-style.html
- Cohen, A. S. (2012). Advanced style. New York: Powerhouse books
- Cohen, A. S. (2015a, February 24). Japanese elegance. Retrieved from http://www.advanced.style/2015/02/japanese-elegance.html
- Cohen, A. S. (2015b, April 22). A certain vintage. Retrieved from http://www.advanced.style/2015/04/a-certain-vintage.html
- Cohen, A. S. (2015c, November 24). California color. Retrieved from http://www.advanced.style/2015/11/california-color.html
- Cristopher, G. (2015). 우리는 이렇게 나이 들어간다: 인지심리학으로 본 노화하는 몸, 뇌, 정신 그리고 마음 [Psychology of ageing: From mind to society] (S. W. Oh, Trans.). Seoul: Erumbook. (Original work published 2013)
- De Beauvoir, S. (2002). 노년 [La Vieillesse] (S. H. Hong & H. Y. Park, Trans.). Seoul: Chaek Se Sang publishing co. (Original work published 1970)
- Djalali, B. (2016, April 10). Style at certain age. Retrieved from http://www.styleatacertainage.com
- Gandee, C. (1993, November 01). Fashion: Dressing your age. Vogue, 183. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/879297863?accountid=6802
- Jean & Valerie. (2016, March 25). Idiosyncratic fashionistas. Retrieved from http://www.instagram.com/idiosyncraticfashionistas
- Kim, T. H. (2007). 노년학 [Gerontology]. Paju: Kyomunsa.
- Kim, Y. O. (2017). 노년은 아름다워: 새로운 미의 탄생 [Old is beautiful: the birth of new beauty]. Paju: Seohaemunjip.
- Klepp, I. G., & Storm-Mathisen, A. (2005). Reading fashion as age: teenage girls' and grown women's accounts of clothing as body and social status. Fashion Theory, 9(3), 323-342. doi:10.2752/136270405778051329 https://doi.org/10.2752/136270405778051329
- Lee, W. S., & Kim, S. A. (2016). Research trends on silver generation published in professional academic journal of clothing area. Journal of Integrated Design Research, 15(3), 53-62. https://doi.org/10.21195/jidr.2016.15.3.005
- Lesleyhasmanyhats. (2015, October 17). Rozelle market. Retrieved from http://www.instagram.com/lesleyhasmanyhats
- Lyn, S. (2017). Icon accidental: #AgeIsNotAVariable. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/BUsa2daloGC/?taken-by=iconaccidental
- Nam, M. K. (2015). An analysis on the development status of product design applied to universal design concept for active senior. The Journal of Korean Society of Design Culture, 21(2), 209-224.
- Plioplyte, L. (Director). (2014). Advanced style [Documentary]. Available from http://www.amazon.com
- Ryu, K., Ryu, K. H., Kang, Y., Lee, J., & Kim, J. (2014). 노화와 심리 [Aging and psychology]. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Satenstein, L. (2016, November 29). This 70-something-year-old is the world's coolest Comme des Garcons fan. Retrieved from http://www.vogue.com/article/comme-des-garcons-instagram-fan-suzanne-golden
- Schirrmacher, F. (2005). 고령사회 2018, 다가올 미래에 대비하라 [Aging society 2018: Prepare for the future society] (H. G. Jang, Trans.). Seoul: Namusaenggak. (Original work published 2004)
- Schuman, S. (2015, April 27). On the street…Varanasi, India. Retrieved from http://www.thesartorialist.com/men/on-the-street-varanasi-india-2/
- Sternberg, R. J. (1985). Beyond IQ: A triarchic theory of intelligence. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Thane, P. (Ed.). (2012). 노년의 역사 [The long history of old age] (B. J. Ahn, Trans.). Paju: Geulhangari. (Original work published 2005)
- Twigg, J. (2010). How does Vogue negotiate age?: Fashion, the body, and the older woman. Fashion Theory, 14(4), 471-490. doi:10.2752/175174110X12792058833898 https://doi.org/10.2752/175174110X12792058833898
- Twigg, J. (2013). Fashion and age. London: Bloomsbury publishing.
- Yaeger, L. (2004, August 01). Fashion: Senior moment. Vogue, 194. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/879308177?accountid=6802