- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Improvement of Service Tree Analysis Using Service Importance
서비스 중요도를 사용한 서비스나무분석의 개선
- Park, Jong Hun (Business School, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Hwang, Young Hun (PwC Consulting) ;
- Lee, Sang Cheon (Dept. of Industrial and Systems Engineering/ERI, GyeongSang National University)
- Received : 2017.02.27
- Accepted : 2017.06.07
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this paper is to improve the service tree analysis introduced recently by Geum et al. . Service tree analysis structures the service based on the customer participation perspective and provides a qualitative analysis method categorizing the service elements on the basis of its impact to top service. This paper attempts to apply the concept of reliability importance to the service tree analysis as a perspective of quantitative analysis, which is considered little in Geum et al. . Reliability importance is a measure of the structural impact of the components that make up the system on the system lifetime in reliability engineering field and often used in fault tree analysis. We transform the reliability importance into service importance in accordance with service tree analysis, so that the influence of service elements on the service can be judged and compared. The service importance is defined as the amount of change of the service according to the change of the service element, therefore, it can be utilized as an index for determining a service element for service improvement. In addition, as an index for paired service elements, the relationship between the two service components can be measured by joint service importance. This paper introduces conceptual changes in the process of applying reliability importance to service analysis, and shows how to use the service importance for identifying the priority of service element for the final service and improving customer satisfaction through an example. By using the service importance and joint service importance in service tree analysis, it is possible to make efficient decision making in the process of determining the service elements for analyzing and improving the service.
Supported by : Gyeongsang National University
- Alam, I., Service innovation strategy and process : A cross-national comparative analysis, International Marketing Review, 2006, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 234-254. https://doi.org/10.1108/02651330610670433
- Andrson, E.E., Product price and warranty terms : An optimization mode, Operational Research Quarterly, 1977, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 739-741. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1977.150
- Barlow, R.E. and Proschan, F., Importance of system components and fault tree events, Stochastic Processes and their applications, 1975, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 153-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4149(75)90013-7
- Berger, C., Bauth, R., Boger, D., Bolster, C., Burchill, G., DuMouchel, W., Pouliot, F., Richter, R., Rubinoff, A., Shen, D., Timko, M., and Walden, D., Kano's methods for understanding customer-defined quality, Center for Quality Management Journal, 1993, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 3-35.
- Birnbaum, Z.W., On the importance of different components in a multicomponents system, Washington University Seattle Lab of Statistical Research, 1968.
- Bohl, M., Flowcharting Techniques, Science Research Associates, 1971, Chicago, IL.
- Carlzon, J., Moments of Truth, Ballinger Publishing Co, 1987, Cambridge.
- Chase, R.B. and Tansik, D.A., The customer contact approach to organization design, Management Science, 1983, Vol. 29, No. 9, pp. 1037-1050. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.29.9.1037
- Chase, R.B., The customer contact approach to service : theoretical base and practical extension, Operations Research, 1981, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 698-706. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.29.4.698
- Davenport, T., Process innovation : Reengineering work through information technology, Harvard Business School Press, 1992 : Boston, MA.
- Davis, M.M. and Maggard, M.J., An analysis of customer satisfaction with waiting times in a two-stage service process, Journal of Operations Management, 1990, Vol. 9. No. 3, pp. 324-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-6963(90)90158-A
- Dillon, B.S., Engineering Reliability, A Wiely-Interscience Publication, 1981.
- Ericson, C., Fault Tree Analysis-A History, Proceedings of the 17th International Systems Safety Conference, 1999.
- Formosa, D., Mapping emotions, Business Week, 2005.
- Geum, Y., Seol, H., Lee, S., and Park, Y., Application of fault tree analysis to the service process : service tree analysis approach, Journal of Service Management, 2009, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 433-454. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230910978520
- Hagstrom, J.N., Redundancy, substitutes and complements in system reliability, Technical report, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois, 1990.
- Hong, J.S. and Lie, C.H., Joint reliability-importance of two edges in an undirected network, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 1993, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1109/24.210266
- Hwang, Y.H., Park, J.H., and Lie, C.H., Advanced Service Tree Analysis with JRI of Services, Proceedings of the Joint Spring Conference of Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers and Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, 2010.
- Ishii, K. and Kmenta, S., Introduction to design for assembly, ME217A Course Reader, Design for Manufacturability : Product Definition, Stanford Bookstore, 1995.
- Kano, N., Seraku, N., Takahashi, F., and Tsuji, S., Attractive quality and must-be quality, The Journal of Japanese Society for Quality Control, 1984, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 39-48.
- Kim, H.-J., The Shift to the Service Economy : Causes and Effects, Economic Analysis, 2006, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 35-76.
- Lacerda, D.P., Cassel, R.A., and Rodrigues, L.H., Service process analysis using process engineering and the theory of constraints thinking process, Business Process Management Journal, 2010, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 264-281. https://doi.org/10.1108/14637151011035598
- Law, A. and Kelton, W., Simulation Modeling and Analysis, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, 1991; New York, NY.
- Lee, W.S., Grosh, D.L., Tilman, F.A., and Lie, C.H., Fault tree analysis, methods, and applications-a review, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 1985, Vol. R-34, No. 3, pp. 194-203. https://doi.org/10.1109/TR.1985.5222114
- Matzler, K. and Hinterhuber, H.H., How to make product development projects more successful by integrating Kano's model of customer satisfaction into quality function deployment, Technovation, 1998, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 25-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(97)00072-2
- Roth, A.V. and vand der Velde, M.N., Operations as marketing : a competitive service strategy, Journal of Operations Management, 1991, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 303-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-6963(91)90071-5
- Safizadeh, M.H., Field, J.M., and Ritzman, L.P., An empirical analysis of financial services processes with a front-office or back-office orientation, Journal of Operations Management, 2003, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 557-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2003.03.001
- Shin, M.S. and Cho, N.H., Fault tree Analysis Model Based on Trapezoidal Fuzzy Number, Journal of the Korean Society for Quality Management, 1992, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 118-125.
- Shostack, G.L., Designing services that deliver, Harvard Business Review, 1984, Vol. 62. No. 1, pp. 133-139.
- Shostack, G.L., Service positioning through structural change, Journal of Marketing, 1987, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 34-43. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251142
- US Air Force, ICAM Architecture Part II, Dynamics Modeling Manual, 1981, Vol. VI.
- Yang, J.H. and Chol, K.O., Implementation of Service Marketing, Business Education, 2011.
- Yoo, J.-S. and Oh, H.-S., Evaluation Model of Service Reliability Using a Service Blueprint and FTA, Journal of the Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2012, Vol. 6, No. 9, pp. 194-201.