- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on Prevention of Galvanic Corrosion between Carbon Steel Rivets and Graphite Used in Aluminum Matrix Automobiles
알루미늄 기지 자동차에 쓰이는 탄소강 리벳과 그라파이트간의 갈바닉 부식 방지 연구
- Seo, Dong-Il (School of Advanced Materials Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Bong (School of Advanced Materials Engineering, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2017.04.20
- Accepted : 2017.06.23
- Published : 2017.06.30
Aluminum alloy matrix may be used for manufacturing lighter automobiles. However, galvanic corrosion may occur between the rivet joint combining aluminum alloy matrix and a CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) laminate. The possibility of galvanic corrosion may be investigated by measuring galvanic couple currents. Two types of galvanic current measuring methods were used. One method is to use potentiodynamic polarization curves and the other is the ZRA (zero resistance ammeter) method. For galvanic corrosion experiments graphite, a major component of CFRP, was used with carbon steel (rivets) and 6061 aluminum alloys. Regardless of carbon steel, Ni deposited carbon steel, and 316L stainless steels we also investigated the possibility of reduction in galvanic corrosion. Results revealed that even though Ni deposited carbon steel or 316L stainless rivet may slightly increase galvanic current density between those and Al matrix, substitute rivets for carbon steel may be considerably useful for reducing overall galvanic corrosion.
- M. Mandel and L. Kruger, Materialwiss. Werkstofftech., 43, 4 (2012).
- L. T. Harper, T. A. Turner, J. R. B. Martin, and N. A. Warrior, J. Compos Mater., 44, 931 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998309347769
- M. Mandel, Corros., Sci., 73, 172 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2013.03.033
- X. G. Zhang, Galvanic Corrosion, Uhlig's Corrosion Handbook, 3rd ed.,p. 123, John Wiley & Sons (2011).
- T. Mohammadreza and S. Hamid, J. Compos. Constr., 5, 200 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2001)5:3(200)
- G. A. Di Bari, Modern Electroplating, 5th ed., p. 79, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey (2010).
- R. Baboian, Corrosion: Fundamentals, Testing, and Protection, ASM Handbook, p. 210, ASM International (2003).
- M. Wicklein, S. Ryan, D. M. White, and R. A. Clegg, Int. J. Impact Eng., 35, 1861 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2008.07.015
- K. Suk-Won and L. Jae-Bong, J. Kor. Inst. Met. Mater., 40, 1191 (2002).
- ASTM Standard B689, Standard Specification for Electroplated Engineering Nickel Coatings (1997).
- V. Minakshi, S. A. Vasanwala, and A. K. Desai, J. Eng. Res. Appl., 4, 657 (2014).
- T. Izabela, Ph.D. Thesis, p. 60, Cracow University of Technology (2014).