- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Robust Active Power Control of a Battery-Supported DSTATCOM to Enhance Wind Generation Power Flow
- Mahdianpoor, Mohammad (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Isfahan) ;
- Kiyoumarsi, Arash (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Isfahan) ;
- Ataei, Mohammad (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Isfahan) ;
- Hooshmand, Rahmat-Allah (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Isfahan)
- Received : 2016.09.06
- Accepted : 2017.03.20
- Published : 2017.07.01
The lack of controllability over the wind causes fluctuations in the output power of the wind generators (WGs) located at the wind farms. Distribution Static Compensator (DSTATCOM) equipped with Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) can significantly smooth these fluctuations by injecting or absorbing appropriate amount of active power, thus, controlling the power flow of WGs. But because of the component aging and thermal drift, its harmonic filter parameters vary, resulting in performance degradation. In this paper, Quantitative Feedback Theory (QFT) is used as a robust control scheme in order to deactivate the effects of filter parameters variations on the wind power generation power smoothing performance. The proposed robust control strategy of the DSTATCOM is successfully applied to a microgrid, including WGs. The simulation results obviously show that the proposed control technique can effectively smooth the fluctuations in the wind turbines' (WT) output power caused by wind speed variations; taking into account the filter parameters variations (structural parameter uncertainties).
- M. Datta, T. Senjyu, A. Yona, T. Funabashi and C. H. Kim, "Design of Intelligent Control for Stabilization of Microgrid System," Int. J. Elec. Power, vol. 82, pp. 569-578, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ijepes.2016.04.030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2016.04.030
- S. Surender Reddy and P. R. Bijve, "Day-Ahead and Real Time Optimal Power Flow considering Renewable Energy Resources," Int. J. Elec. Power, vol. 82, pp. 400-408, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.ijepes.2016.03.033 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2016.03.033
- J. Wang, F. Zhang and F. Liu, "Hybrid Forecasting Model-based Data Mining and Genetic Algorithm-Adaptive Particle Swarm Optimisation: a Case Study of Wind Speed Time Series," IET Renew. Power Gen., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 287-298, 2016, doi:10.1049/iet-rpg.2015.0010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2015.0010
- W. Na, W. Quan and S. Sheng, "Long Term Variation Trend of Wind and its Impact Upon Wind Power Generation in Taiwan," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 782-788, May 2014, doi: 10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.782. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.782
- L. B. Shi, L. Kang, L. Z. Yao and S. Y. Qin, "Effects of Wind Generation Uncertainty and Volatility on Power System Small Signal Stability," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 60-70, Jan. 2014, doi: 10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.060. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.060
- T. Zhou and B. Francois, "Energy Management and Power Control of a Hybrid Active Wind Generator for Distributed Power Generation and Grid Integration," IEEE Trans. Ind. Elec., vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 95-104, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2046580
- T. Ackermann, "Wind Power in Power Systems" (John Wiley & Sons, London, UK, 2005).
- L. Shi, Sh. Sun, L. Yao, Y. Ni and M. Bazargan, "Effects of Wind Generation Intermittency and Volatility on Power System Transient Stability," IET Renew. Power Gen., vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 509-521, 2014, doi: 10.1049/iet-rpg.2013.0028. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2013.0028
- R. Sarrias, C. Gonzalez, L. M. Fernandez, C. A. Garcia and F. Jurado, "Comparative Study of the Behavior of a Wind Farm Integrating Three Different FACTS Devices," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1258-1268, Jan. 2014, doi: 10.5370/JEET.2014.9.4.1258. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.4.1258
- B. Ronner, P. Maibach and T. Thurnherr, "Operational Experiences of STATCOMs for Wind Parks," IET Renew. Power Gen., vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 349-357, 2009, doi: 10.1049/iet-rpg.2008.0075. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2008.0075
- K. Zhang, C. Mao, J. Xie, J. Lu, D. Wang, J. Zeng, X. Chen and J. Zhang, "Determination of Characteristic Parameters of Battery Energy Storage System for Wind Farm," IET Renew. Power Gen., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 22-32, 2014, doi:10.1049/iet-rpg.2012.0385. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2012.0385
- G. O. Suvire and P. E. Mercado, "Active Power Control of a Flywheel Energy Storage System for Wind Energy Applications," IET Renew. Power Gen., vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 9-16, 2012, doi:10.1049/iet-rpg.2010.0155. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2010.0155
- X. Li, "Fuzzy Adaptive Kalman Filter for Wind Power Output Smoothing with Battery Energy Storage System," IET Renew. Power Gen., vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 340-347, 2012, doi:10.1049/iet-rpg.2011.0177. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2011.0177
- P. Khayyer and U. Ozguner, "Decentralized Control of Large-Scale Storage-Based Renewable Energy Systems," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1300-1307, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2311093
- A. Jones, "Grid Connection of Renewable Energy," Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT Europe), Gothenburg, Sweden, pp. 1-4, Oct. 2010, DOI: 10.1109/ISGTEUROPE.2010.5638908 https://doi.org/10.1109/ISGTEUROPE.2010.5638908
- A. Abedini and H. Nikkhajoei "Dynamic Model and Control of a Wind Turbine Generator with Energy Storage," IET Renew. Power Gen., vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 67-78, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2009.0123
- S. Kurian, S. T. Krishnan and E. P. Cheriyan, "Real Time Implementation of Artificial Neural Networksbased Controller for Battery Storage Supported Wind Electric Generation," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 937-946, 2015, doi:10.1049/iet-gtd.2014.0544. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2014.0544
- Z. Wei, B. Y. Moon and Y. H. Joo, " Smooth Wind Power Fluctuation Based on Battery Energy Storage System for Wind Farm," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 2134-2141, Nov. 2014, doi: 10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.2134. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.2134
- L. Guo, Z. Yu, C. Wang, F. Li, J. Schiettekatte, J. C. Deslauriers and L. Bai, "Optimal Design of Battery Energy Storage System for a Wind-diesel Off-grid Power System in a Remote Canadian Community," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 608-616, 2016, doi: 10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0190. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0190
- R. Sebastian, "Application of a Battery Energy Storage for Frequency Regulation and Peak Shaving in a Wind Diesel Power System," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 764-770, 2016, doi: 10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0435. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0435
- M. G. Molina and P. E. Mercado, "Power Flow Stabilization and Control of Microgrid with Wind Generation by Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 910-922, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2097609
- L. Qu and W. Qiao, "Constant Power Control of DFIG Wind Turbines with Super Capacitor Energy Storage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 359-367, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2090932
- G. O. Suvire and P. E. Mercado, "DSTATCOM with Flywheel Energy Storage System for Wind Energy Applications: Control Design and Simulation," Elsevier-Electr. Power Syst. Res., vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 345-353, 2010.
- H. Bagheri Tolabi, R. Hosseini and M. R. Shakarami, "A Robust Hybrid Fuzzy-simulated Annealing-intelligent Water Drops Approach for Tuning a Distribution Static Compensator Nonlinear Controller in a Distribution System," T&F Eng. Optimiz., pp. 1-20, 2015, doi: 10.1080/0305215X.2015.1080579. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2015.1080579
- V. Spitsa, A. Alexandrovitz and E. Zeheb, "Design of a Robust State-feedback Controller for a Dstatcom using a Zero Set Concept," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 456-467, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2034828
- M. J. Hossain, H. R. Pota and R. A. Ramos, "Robust Statcom Control for the Stabilisation of Fixed Speed Wind Turbines during Low Voltages," Renew. Energ., vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 2897-2905, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.04.010
- S. K. Routray, N. Nayak and P. K. Rout, "A Robust Fuzzy Sliding Mode Control Design for Current Source Inverter based STATCOM Application," Elsevier, Procedia Technology, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 342-349, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.protcy.2012.05.052
- A. Khodabakhshian, M. Mahdianpoor and R. Hooshmand, "Robust Control Design for Multifunctional DVR Implementation in Distribution Systems using Quantitative Feedback Theory," Elsevier- Electr. Power Syst. Res., vol. 97, pp. 116-125, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2012.12.015
- C. H. Houpis, S. J. Rasmussen and M. Garcia-Sanz, "Quantitative Feedback Theory: Fundamentals and Applications," (CRC press, 2006, taylor and francis group)
- IEEE Standard 1547: "IEEE Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems," 2008.
- C. Parikshith and J. Vinod, "Filter Optimization for Grid Interactive Voltage Source Inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 4106-4114, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2042421
- H. Zheng, Z. F. Liang, M. S. Li, K. Li, "Optimization of Parameters for LCL Filter of Least Square Method Based Three-phase PWM Converter," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1626-1634, Jul. 2015, doi:10.5370/JEET.2015.10.4.1626. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.4.1626
- I. Horowitz, "Survey of quantitative feedback theory," Int. J. Robust Nonlinear Control, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 887-921, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/rnc.637
- C. Borghesani, Y. Chai and O. Yaniv, "The QFT Frequency Domain Control Design Toolbox for use with Matlab, User's Guide," Terasoft, Inc., 2003.
- S. Srikanthan, M. K. Mishra and R. K. V. Rao, "Improved Hysteresis Current Control of Three-level Inverter for DSTATCOM Application," IET Power Elect., vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 517-526, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0126
- R. Abu-Hashim, R. Burch, G. Chang, M. Grady, et al., "Test Systems for Harmonics Modeling and Simulation," IEEE Trans. Power Del. vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 579-585, Apr. 1999, doi: 10.1109/61.754106. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.754106
- "Green Technology-Cleantech and Renewable Energy News and Analysis," http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/ionex-has-a-1-mw-battery-readyfor-the-grid, accessed 30 september 2015.