- Volume 8 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Human, Social and Cultural Capitals on Economic Independence and Life Satisfaction in Disabled Persons
장애인의 인적 및 사회문화적 자본이 경제적 자립과 생활만족도에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Kyong-Jun (Division of Welfare, Joongbu University) ;
- Chung, Myung-Sun (Department of Counseling Psychology Education, Joongbu University)
- Received : 2017.05.05
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study is intended to look into the effects of human, social and cultural capitals on economic independence and life satisfaction in disabled persons, and the reciprocal relationships. To achieve this, a survey was empirically carried out to the disabled. The findings were summarized as follows. As for the above-stated findings, human capital had a positive effect on economic independence, and social and cultural capitals had a positive effect on economic independence and life satisfaction, comparing those with rejection of the effect of human capital on life satisfaction and the effect of economic independence on life satisfaction. Consequently, human capital is not just a tonic for disabled persons' life, and economic independence has not just a reciprocal relationship as a mechanism to improve life satisfaction. Based on this result, we discussed the activation for practical and diverse human, social and cultural networking.
Human capital;Social capital;Cultural capital;Economic independence;Life satisfaction
Supported by : 중부대학교
- D. G. Kim, D. H. Shin. "A Study on the Influence of the Social Status of the Disabled Person on the Quality of Life: The Mediating Effect of Health Level and Self-Esteem, Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 151-172, 2015. https://doi.org/10.16884/JRR.2015.19.2.151
- D. J. Lim, S. H. Moon. "The Effect of the Economic Factors of the Disabled Person on the Degree of Satisfaction", Korean Journal of Policy Analysis and Evaluation, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 73-101, 2014.
- K. J. Lee. "A Study on the Basic Livelihood Security for Absolute Poor Disabled Householders: Focused on the 2015 Korean Welfare Panel Study Data", Crisisonomy, Vol. 11, No. 8, pp. 245-272, 2015.
- C. S. Kim, S. I. Choi, "The Relationship between Participation Motive and Satisfaction Level of the Volunteer Activities of the Elderly People", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 315-326, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.04.315
- D. W. Kim, "Convergence Study on the Participation Level of Physical Activity for the Physically Handicapped on Objectified Body Consciousness (OBC)", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 247-254, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.247
- Y. M. Son, B. S. Jung, "Convergence Development of Video and E-learning System for Education Disabled Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 113-119, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.113
- D. W. Kim, "Convergence Study on Positive Psychological Capital (PPC) of Persons with Physical Disabilities Following Participation in Swimming Club for 10 Weeks", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 159-165, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.159
- G. W. Moon, K. W. Kim, S. B. Choi, "Multiple Perspectives on Knowledge Management: Social Network, Resource Dependency, and Institutionalization Theories", Knowledge Management Research, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 43-60. 2009.
- J. H. Kim, W. M. Gang, S. Y. Moon, "The Analysis of the Relation between Baby Boomer's Social Capital Recognition and Social Formation: Focusing on the Volunteering & Giving Activity", Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 25-50, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15855/swp.2013.40.3.25
- H. K. Lee, "Examining Characteristics, Frequencies, Hours of Volunteering Among Korean Older Adults: Promoting Volunteerism", Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, Vol. 62, pp. 317-344, 2013.
- W. Tang, Interpersonal trust and democracy in China. Paper presented at the annual meeting of American, Political Science Association. 2006.
- K. Hank, M. Erlinghagen, "Dynamics of volunteering in older Europeans", Gerontologist, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 170-178, 2009.
- H. K. Lee, "Old-Age Volunteering and Social Capitals: The Effects of Social Capital", Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, Vol. 50, pp. 263-290. 2010.
- M.. D. Kim, S. C. Hong, C. I. Lee, Y. S. Kwak, T. K. Shin, Y. H. Jang, E. H. Oh, J. W. Lee, B. H. Jeon, S. E. Hwang, "Prevalence of Depression and Correlates of Depressive Symptoms for Residents in the Urban Part of Jeju Island, Korea", International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 123-134, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764006075022
- L. R. Fisher, K. B. Schaffer, Older Volunteer: A Guide to Research and Practice, New York, Sage, 1993.
- J. Wilson, M. Musick, "Who cares? Toward an integrated theory of volunteer work", American sociological review, Vol. 62, No. 5, 1997.
- J. Wilson, "Volunteering", Annual Review of Sociology, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 215-240, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.soc.26.1.215
- G. Becker, Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd ed.), Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 1993.
- T. K. McNamara, E. Gonzales, "Volunteer Transitions among Older Adults: The Role of Human, Social, and Cultural Capital in Later Life", The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Science, Vol. 66, No. 4, pp. 490-501. 2011.
- H. Ibarra, "Paving an Alternative Route: Gender Differences in Managerial Networks", Social Psychology Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 91-102, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/2787014
- N. Lin, Social Capital: A Theory of Social Structure and Action, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- J. L. Pearce, Volunteers: The Organizational Behavior of Unpaid Workers, London, Routledge, 1993.
- M. Semyonov, N. Lewin-Epstein, "The Impact of Parental Transfers on Living Standards of Married Children", Social Indicators Research, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 115-137, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011081529592
- D. C. Ribar, K. S. Hamrick, Dynamics of Poverty and Food Sufficiency (Food Assistance and Nutrition Research Report No. 36), Washington, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2003.
- D. P. Nickerson, M. West, G. Odorizzi, "Did2 Coordinates Vps4-Mediated Dissociation of ESCRT-III from Endosomes", The Journal of Cell Biology, Vol. 175, No. 5, pp. 715-720, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.200606113
- J. F. Helliwell, "How's Life? Combining Individual and National Variables to Explain Subjective Well-being", Economic Modelling, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 331-360, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0264-9993(02)00057-3
- S. D. Ko, Study of extracting the factors deciding the quality of the life of the old. Ewha Womans University, Ph.D. thesis, 1995.
- Y. Chung, "Poverty and Family Structure of the Children with Developmental Delay and Disability", Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, Vol. 19, pp. 55-69, 2003.
- W. R. Burr, G. K. Leigh, R. D. Day, J. Constantine, Symbolic interaction and the family, In W. R. Burr, R. Hill, F. I. Nye, I. L. Reiss (Eds.), Contemporary Theories About the Family: General Theories and Theoretical Orientations (Vol. 2, pp. 42-111), New York, Free Press, 1979.
- L. Sousa, S. Lyubomirsky, Life satisfaction, In J. Worell (Ed.), Encylopedia of Women and Gender: Sex Similarities and Differences and the Impact of Society on Gender (Vol. 2, pp. 667-676), San Diego, Academic Press, 2001.
- J. W. Rowe, R. L. Kahn, Successful Aging, New York, Pantheon/Random House, 1998.
- H. R. Moody, Productive aging and the ideology of old age, In N. Morrow-Howell, J. Hinterlong, M. W. Sherraden (Eds.), Productive Aging: Concepts and Challenges (pp. 175-196), Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, pp. 175-196, 2001.
- D. J. Kim, M. S. Ko, "The Study of Economic Activity of Intellectual Disables Related to Variables", Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 241-261, 2012.
- K. L. Chou, I. Chi, "Financial Strain and Life Satisfaction in Hong Kong Elderly Chinese: Moderating Effect of Life Management Strategies Including Selection, Optimization, and Compensation", Aging and Mental Health: An International Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 172-177, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860220126781
- E. Diener, "Subjective Well-being: The Science of Happiness, and a Proposal for a National Index", American Psychologist, Vol. 55, pp. 34-43, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.34
- E. W. Morrison, "Newcomers' Relationships: The Role of Social Network Ties During Socialization", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp.1149-1160, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069430
- Y. J. Kim, T. Y. You, "The Influence of Personal Characteristics on Social Network Size in Organizational and the Impact Social Network Size and Strength on Job Performance", Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 27-51. 2009. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.22.1.200902.27
- D. C. Jin, The Influence of employees' social network on organization's communication and Innovation, Chungang University, Master's thesis, 2012.
- J. J. Yang, "The Social Investment State Deserves the Welfare State Model for Korea: A Reply to Critics of the Social Investment State", Economy and Society, Vol. 75, 319-335. 2007.