- Volume 8 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Convergence Study on the Relationship between Emotional Labor and Burnout in Early Childhood Teachers : The Buffering Effect of Goal-Focused Self-Regulation
유아교사의 감정노동과 직무소진에 있어 목표중심 자기조절의 완충역할에 대한 융합연구
- Received : 2017.03.29
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
As part of the target-specific convergence study of welfare focusing on the relationships between emotional labor, burnout, and goal-focused self-regulation, this study was designed to examine whether goal-focused self-regulation of the early childhood teachers buffers in the relation between emotional labor and burnout. A total of 231 childcare teachers participated in this study and by responding to a questionnaire including measures of emotional labor, burnout, and goal-focused self-regulation. Moderated multiple regression through simultaneously entry was performed for analysis using SPSS (PASW) 18.0 and PROCESS Macro for SPSS. First, the results indicated that the level of emotional labor increase, burnout of the early childhood teachers also increase. Second, goal-focused self-regulation was found to have a protective function in terms of buffering the negative effect of emotional labor on burnout. Based on the results, this study suggests the importance of mental healthcare and the need for internal resources development such as self-regulation.
Emotional labor;Burnout;Self-regulation;Buffering effect;Convergence
- O. S. Yang, "Pre-Service Kindergarten Teacher Education in Korea", The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 25-43, 2002.
- M. S. Chung, "Relationship between Kindergarten Teachers' Burnout and Turnover Intention: The Moderating Effect of Social Support", The Journal of Humanities, Vol. 33, pp. 183-204, 2013.
- C. Maslach, S. E. Jackson, Maslach Burnout Inventory (2nd ed.), Palo Alto, Consulting Psychologists Press, 1986.
- E. Demerouti, A. B. Bakker, F. Nachreiner, W. B. Schaufeli, "The Job Demands-Resources Model of Burnout", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 86, pp. 499-512, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.499
- J. I. Kim, B.-R. Choi, "Convergence Study on Emotional Labor, Stress Response and Turnover Intention of Call-center Worker", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 139-146, 2015.
- W. Y. Ryu, "The Effect of Emotional Labor and Job Burnout of the Ski Resort Workers on Service Level", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 449-457, 2016.
- D. H. Hwang, S. Eom, "The Convergence Influence of Emotional Labor of Clinical Dental Hygienist Working on Job Stress: Focused on Mediating Effects of Self Esteem", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 67-74, 2016.
- J. Y. Kim, "Relationship among Emotional Labor, Burnout, Social Support and Turnover Intention of Nurse Practitioners in terms of Interdisciplinary Perspectives", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 331-342, 2016.
- Y. J. Oh, Y. H. Choi, "Effects of Emotional Labor, Job Stress and Burnout on Somatization in Nurses: In Convergence Era", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 415-424, 2015.
- Y. N. Park, S.-U. Yoon, "Health Promotion Behavior of Some Local Dental Hygienist Convergence Impact on Emotional Labor, Quality of Life, Job Satisfaction", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 25-33, 2016.
- M. S. Chung, "The Buffering Effect of Autonomy between Emotional Labor and Job Stress in Childcare Teachers", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 147-166, 2014.
- Korean Research Institute for Vocational Education and Training, "Occupational Condition of Emotional Labor", KRIVET Issue Brief, Vol. 26. Retrieved from https://www.krivet.re.kr/ku/da/kuBDCVw.jsp?pgn=10&gk=ALL&gv=&gn=G7-E520130008
- S. H. Joung, The influence of teacher efficacy and social support on the burnout of infant nursing teachers. Pukyong National University, Master's thesis, 2013.
- A. A. Grandey, "Emotion Regulation in the Workplace: A New Way to Conceptualize Emotional Labor", Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 95-110, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8922.214.171.124
- J. Y. Kwon, "The Relationships among Emotional Intelligence, Emotional Labor, and Working Stress of Child-Care Teachers", Journal of Early Childhood Education, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 269-289, 2010. https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2010.30.6.012
- C. B. Kopp, "Antecedents of Self-Regulation: A Developmental Perspective", Developmental Psychology, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 199-214, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16126.96.36.199
- S. D. Won, S.-I. Oh, S. Park, M. K. Rhee, "Development and Validation of the Goal-Focused Self-Regulation Scale (GF-SRS)", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 785-802, 2015.
- E. S. Jung, "The Influence of Regulatory Focus, Self-regulated Learning and Academic Burnout on Academic Achievement", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 5455-5464, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5455
- C. M. Gilstrap, Closing in on closeness: Teacher immediacy as a form of emotion labor. University of Purdue at West Lafayette, Ph.D. thesis, 2004.
- J. Lee, An exploration of the relations with emotional labor of childcare teachers, individual and organizational emotional-values, job satisfaction, burnout. Ewha Womans University, Ph.D. thesis, 2007.
- S. Park, Influence of occupational stress and social support on counselors burnout. Ewha Womans University, Master's thesis, 2001.
- A. F. Hayes, Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression-Based Approach, New York, Guilford Press, 2013.
- P. J. Curran, S. G. West, J. F. Finch, "The Robustness of Test Statistics to Nonnormality and Specification Error in Confirmatory Factor Analysis", Psychological Methods, Vol. 1, pp. 16-29, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.1.1.16
- P. Dattalo, Analysis of Multiple Dependent Variables, New York, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- R. M. O'Brien, "A Caution Regarding Rules of Thumb for Variance Inflation Factors", Quality and Quantity, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 673-690, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-006-9018-6
- B. L. Lee, "The Effect of Teacher Efficacy and Emotional Labor on Burnout for Kindergarten Teachers", Korean Journal of Child Education and Care, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 129-152, 2014.
- Y. M. Lee, H. Y. Min, "The Relationship of Surface Acting in Emotional Labor, Emotional Support from Supervisor, Colleagues, Parents and Burnout of Teachers in Kindergartens and Day Care Centers", Korean Association of Child Care and Education, Vol. 71, No. 1, pp. 167-185, 2011.
- W. Hoffmann, M. Luhmann, R. R. Fisher, K. D. Vohs, R. F. Baumeister, "Yes, But are They Happy? Effects of Trait Self-Control on Affective Well-Being and Life Satisfaction", Journal of Personality, Vol. 82, No. 4, pp. 265-277, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/jopy.12050
- A. Bandura, "Social Cognitive Theory of Self-Regulation", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 248-287, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90022-L