- Volume 8 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Individual and Environmental Characteristics of Secondary-school Teachers on Teacher Efficacy and Job Satisfaction
중등교사의 개인 특성과 환경 특성이 교사효능감과 직무만족도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2017.05.04
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study was executed to verify the effects of individual and environmental characteristics of secondary-school teachers on teacher efficacy and job satisfaction. To do so, a survey of teacher efficacy and job satisfaction was conducted to 696 man and woman teachers from 55 secondary schools in Gwangju and Jeonnam province, and then the results of the survey were analyzed. In this study, teacher efficacy was composed as four factors: sense of calling, teaching-learning, colleague relation and school organization. And job satisfaction was categorized as three factors: job relation, compensation system and working environment. The Multivariate analysis results showed a significant difference in teacher efficacy and job satisfaction according to teachers' individual characteristics and working environment. Conclusively, teacher efficacy and job satisfaction are complicated factors formed by teachers' individual and environmental characteristics. To improve secondary-school teachers' teacher efficacy and job satisfaction, it is necessary to develop training and education programs reflecting individual and environmental characteristics.
secondary-school teacher;teacher efficacy;job satisfaction;individual characteristic;environmental characteristic
- C. S. Oh, Issues and Tasks of the Practical Application Ways of Convergence Education in Secondary School. Korean Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 229-264, 2015.
- S. J. Lee & C. H. Lim. "Effect of the Teacher's Science Teaching Efficacy on the Science Process Skills and Scientific Attitudes of Elementary School Students", Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, Vol.30, No.4, pp.459-467, 2011.
- Y. Cho, & S. S. Shim, "Predicting teachers' achievement goals for teaching: The role of perceived school goal structure and teachers' sense of efficacy", Teaching and Teacher Education, Vol.32, pp.12-21, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2012.12.003
- K. W. Wheatley, "The case for reconceptualizing teacher efficacy research" Teaching and Teacher Education, Vol. 21, pp.747-766, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2005.05.009
- E. Hatfiled, J. T. Cacioppo & R. Rapson, "Emotional contagion", Current Directions in Psychological Sciences, Vol.2, pp.96-99, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep10770953
- Y. J. Jeon, "The Relationships among the Leadership Styles of Principals by Organizational Culture, Teacher's Job Satisfaction & Teacher Efficacy", Journal of elementary education studies, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 267-288, 2011.
- A. Somech & A. Drach-Zahavy, "Understanding extra-role behavior in schools: the relationships between job satisfaction, sense of efficacy, and teachers' extra-role behavior" Teaching and Teacher Education, Vo;.16, pp.649-659, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(00)00012-3
- H. J. Lee, J. H. Shin, H. S. Choi & Y. K. Lee, "Multi-level Analysis of the Effects of Secondary Teachers' Background and Socio-psychological Variables on Teachers' Teacher-efficacy", Asian Journal of Education, Vol.12, No.4, pp.95-124, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2011.12.4.005
- Y. S. Park, U. C. Kim & E. S. Park, "Factors influencing occupational achievement and job satisfaction among elementary school teachers: A Longitudinal study focusing on the influence of social support and teachers' efficacy", Korean Journal of Educational Psychology , Vol.23, No.3, pp. 491-520, 2009.
- Y. G. Kim & H. J. Lee, "A study on undergraduate students' self-growth experiences in a counseling skills training course", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 315-328, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.315
- E. Liaw, "Teacher efficacy of pre-service teachers in Taiwan: The influence of classroom teaching and group discussions" Teaching and Teacher Education, Vol.25, pp.176-180, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2008.08.005
- J. A. Ross, J. B. Cousins & T. Gadalla, "Within-teacher predictors of teacher efficacy" Teaching & Teacher Education, Vol.12, No.4, pp.385-400, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(95)00046-M
- S. T. Lim, "Comparing the Effects of Personal Teacher Efficacy and General Tehching Efficacy on Teachers' Corporal Punishment Ideology", Journal of educational studies, Vol.39, No.3, pp.51-77, 2008.
- H. R. Jung, A. R. Son, Y. J. Yun, S. H. Lee, S. B. Lee, J. A. In & K. H. Kang, "Study on self-development needs, job satisfaction, self-efficacy by general characteristics of dental hygienist", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 231-239, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.231
- P. T. Ashton, "Teacher efficacy: A motivational paradigm for effective teacher education" Journal of Teacher Education, Vol.325, No.5, pp.28-32, 1984.
- P. T. Ashton, & R. B. Webb, "Making a difference: Teachers' sense of efficacy and student achievement". New York: Longman. 1986.
- S. Gibson & M. Dembo, "Teacher efficacy: A construct validation", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol..6, pp.569-82, 1984.
- I. A. Friedman & E. Kass,"Teacher self-efficacy: a classroom-organization conceptualization" Teaching and Teacher Education, Vol.18, pp. 675-6, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(02)00027-6
- Z. Demiratas, "Teachers' job satisfaction levels", Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.9, pp.1069-1073, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.12.287
- Y. J. Hwang, "The Effect of Socio-demographic Variables, Self-efficacy and Organizational Support on the Job Satisfaction of Middle School Teachers", Korean Education Inquiry, Vol.30, No.2, pp.1-21, 2012.
- E. M. Skaalvik & S. Skaalvik, "Does school context matter? Relations with teacher burnout and job satisfaction" Teaching and Teacher Education, Vol.25, pp.518-524, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2008.12.006
- M. O. Park, "A study on the job satisfaction of kindergarten teacher & child care teacher", Cheongju University, 2004.
- K. S. Noh, S. T. Park & K. H. Park, "Convergence Study on Big Data Competency Reference Model", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 55-63, 2015.
- S. H. Park, "The Effectiveness of Learning Community for the Development of Convergence of University Students", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 29-37, 2015.
- H. J. Park, "A Study on the Relationship between Teachers' Job Stress and Job Satisfaction in Public Kindergarten", Kyonggi University, 2000.
- K. M. Yun & B. J. Jeon, "A Comparative Study on the Turnover Intention of Teacher by Child Care Center's Types", Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 25-35, 2015.
- A. Y. Kim & M. J. Kim. " Relationship between Teacher-Efficacy and Organizational Climate of School in Elementary School Teachers", Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.16 No.3. pp. 5-29, 2002.
- M. B. Gweon, "Relationship between School's Organizational Culture and Teachers' Job Satisfaction", Chonnam National University, 2005.
- Y. T. Kim & J. E. Lim. "The Effect of teacher efficacy and teacher satisfaction in elementary teachers according to Leisure activity participation type", Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, Vol.16 No.4,pp. 33-51, 2011.
- W. K. Hoy & A. E. Woolfolk, "Teachers'sense of efficacy and organizational health of schools" The Elementary School Journal, Vol.93, No.4, pp.355-372, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1086/461729
- R. M. Klassen & M. M. Chiu, "Effects on teachers'self-efficacy and job satisfaction: Teacher gender, years of experience, and job stress" Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.102, pp.741-756, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019237
- J. O. Choi, "A study on the relationshipa between teacher efficacy and job satisfaction of scondary school teachers", Kangwon National University ,2000.
- Y. J. Jyung & Y. B. Chae, "The Relationships between Role Conflict, School Organizational Climate, Self-Efficacy and Job Satisfaction of High School Teachers", Journal ofAgricultural Education and Human Resource Development, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 223-250, 2006.
- K. S, Kang & Y. M. Kim, "A Study on the Relationship among Teacher"s Career Development Stage, Job Capabilities, and Job Satisfaction", The Journal of Educational Administration, Vol.24, No.1, pp.119-142, 2006.