- Volume 8 Issue 6
This study was attempted to grasp the convergence relationship between nurse 's communication ability, emotional labor and organizational commitment. For this purpose, 106 nurses working at university hospitals were collected from August 1, 2016 to August 15, 2016. Communication skills were measured by Kim & Woo 's communication ability measurement tool, emotional labor was measured by Morris & Feldman' s tool, and organizational commitment was developed by Mowday et al. Data were analyzed by t-test, ANOVA, and Pearson's correlation. The results showed that the communication ability differed according to age (F = 5.78, p = 0.004), marital status (t = -4.06, p <0.001) and position (t = -5.35, p <0.001). There was a statistically significant correlation between communication ability and organizational commitment (r = 0.293, p = 0.002). This result suggests a convergence implication on the provision of basic data to improve organizational commitment of nurses in nursing practice field.
Communication;Emotional Labor;Organizational Commitment;Nursing Care;Convergence
- S. H. Yang, K. S. Jang, H. Y. Park, "Effects of Clinical Nurse's Intentional Nursing Rounds on Patient Needs and Satisfaction", Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 87-100, 2015.
- S. I. Im, J. Park, H. S. Kim, "The Effects of Nurse's Communication and Self-Leadership on Nursing Performance", Korean J Occup Health Nurs, Vol. 21 No. 3, pp. 274-282, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274
- E. A. Seo, K. M. Park, B. S. Lee, "Relations between the Types of Communication and Job Satisfaction and Nursing Performance in Staff Nurses", Journal of Korea Community Health Nursing Academic Society, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 317-332, 2003.
- Y. K. Yang, "A Study on Burnout, Emotional Labor, and Self-efficacy in Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 423-431, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423
- H. S. Lee, J. K. Kim, "Relationship among Communication Competence, Communication Types, and Organizational Commitment in Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 488-496, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.488
- D. H. Hwang, S. Eom, "The Convergence Influence of Emotional Labor of Clinical Dental Hygienist Working on Job Stress -Focused on Mediating Effects of Self Esteem-", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 67-74, 2016.
- M. K. Shin, H, L, Kang, "Effects of Emotional Labor and Occupational Stress on Somatization in Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 158-167, 2011. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.158 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.158
- M. H. Kang, M. J. Kwon, S. Y. Youn, "Self-efficacy, Nursing Organizational Culture and Emotional Labor in Clinical Nurses", Korean J Occup Health Nurs, Vol 21, No 3, pp. 266-273, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.266
- Y. S. Yang, Y. H. Kang, "CU New Nurses' Job Stress, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention", Nursing Science, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 47-58, 2013.
- P. L. Chang, Y. C. Chou, F. C. Cheng, "Career Needs, Career Development Programs, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention of Nurses in Taiwan", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 15, pp. 801-810, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2934.2007.00772.x
- S. H. Lee, J. Y. Park, K. M. Lee, E. H. Shin, J. M. Park, H. A. Nam, S. B. Noh, "The Convergence Effects of Commitment of Organization and Positive Psychological Capital in Nurse on Burnout", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 335-345, 2016.
- S. H. Jin, J. H. Kim, "Influence of Resilience and Perceived Individual and Organizational Support on Organizational Commitment among Hospital Nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 293-303, 2017.
- K. E. Dilbeck, J. C. McCroskey, "Socio-communicative Orientation, Communication Competence, and Rhetorical Sensitivity", Human Communication, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 255-266. 2009.
- Y. K. Kim, J. P. Yu, "A Study on Verbal and Non-verbal Communication of Medical Service Provider", Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 225-258, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15706/jksms.2008.9.1.010
- S. H. Kim, Nurses' communication, trust in nurses, and satisfaction of nursing service perceived by inpatients. Seoul National University, Master's thesis, 2012.
- J. A. Morris, D. C. Feldman, "The Dimension, Antecedents and Consequences of Emotional Labor", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 986-1010, 1996. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071861
- M. J, Kim, "Effect of the Hotel Employee's Emotional Labor upon the Job-related Attitudes", Korea Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 129-141, 1998.
- R. T. Mowday, L. W. Poeter, R. M. Street, "The Management of Organization Commitment", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 14, pp. 224-247. 1979. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- M. H. Lee, Relationship between organization culture types and organizational effectiveness in hospitals, Chungnam National University, Ph.D. thesis, 1998.
- I. S. Im, J. Park, H. S. Kim, "The Effects of Nurse's Communication and Self-leadership on Nursing Performance", Korean J Occup Health Nurs, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 274-282. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274
- J. H. Park, S. K. Chung, "Influence of Emotional Labor, Communication Competence and Resilience on Nursing Performance in University Hospital Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 10, pp. 236-244, 2016.
- S. H. Kim, M. A. Lee, "Effects of Emotional Labor and Communication Competence on Turnover Intention in Nurses", J Korean Acad Nurs Admin, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 332-341, 2014.
- K. H. Kang, Y. H. Han, S. J. Kang, "Relationship between Organizational Communication Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment among Hospital Nurses", J Korean Acad Nurs Admin, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 13-22, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.13
- K. S. Yoon, "A Convergence Study on the Relationship among Job Rotation, Verbal Abuse and Organizational Commitment of Perioperative Nurses", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 131-141, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.131