- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Sentence Length of Sports News in the Era of the Convergency
융복합 시대에서 스포츠기사의 문장길이에 관한 연구
- Yoo, Byong Cher (Korea National Sport University) ;
- Lee, Jong Young (Korea National Sport University)
- Received : 2017.05.02
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
The purpose of this study is to identify the characteristic of the length of sentence of sports news articles compared with other sections, other newspaper and sports events. In order to achieve this purpose, 4 daily newspapers(Chosun Ilbo, Dong-A Ilbo, Kyunghyang Shinmun and MKsports) were selected as research sources. The length of sentence of collected articles was analyzed by One way ANOVA and Scheffe as post-hoc. The results of these analyses are summarized into three as follows: First, the length of sentence of news articles has significant difference by sections. To put it concretely, the sentences in politics section were the longest, and then economy, editorials comes. The sports section has the shortest sentences. Second, the length of sports articles has significant difference by newspapers. In particular, MK sports which is a sports-oriented newspaper has the shortest in the length of sentence of sports articles than other newspapers such as Chosun, Dong-A and Kyunghyang. Third, the length of sentence of sports articles has significant differences by the sports events. More specifically golf is the longest, and then basketball, soccer and baseball follows.
- H. U. Chung, "A Study on the implication of subculture formation based on changing aspects of text-based communication in mobile chatting communication." Journal of Basic Design and Art, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 519-529, 2013
- Y-H. Kim, S. Shin, "Analysis on the use of SNS(Social Network Service)." KISDI STAT Report, 13-12-01, 2013.
- Jiyeun Chang, "Convergence of Education and Information & Communication Technology : A Study on the Communication Characteristics of SNS Affecting Relationship Development between Professor and Student", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 213-219, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.213
- B-H. Chang, S-H. Kwon, K-W. Park, "Niche Analysis of Competition among Online News Media : Focusing on Internet News, Portal News, Mobile Portal News, and Social Media News." Information Society and Media, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 149-171, 2016.
- Seung-Soo Shin, "A Study on Multi-Media Contents Security Using Android Phone", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 19-25, 2012.
- D-G. Lee, " Diversity of Online News Media : Source and Frame Analyses." Korean Journal of Journalism and Communication Studies, Vol. 48, N. 4, pp. 218-242, 2004.
- The Presidential Secretariat, "The reporting manual." The Presidential Secretariat, 2006.
- Ministry of Public Administration and Security, "The reporting manual." Local Government Officials Development Institute, 2007.
- N-K. Song, et al., "When writing a short sentence, you can deliver the core of essay." The Hankyoreh, August 13, 2013 available at http://www.hani.co.kr/rti/society/schooling/599500.html
- Lee-MI Kyung, Noh-Byungho, Kang-Anyoung, "The Study of Convergence on Lexical Complexity, Syntax Complexity, and Correlation among Language Variables", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 4, pp. 219-229, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.4.219
- L. A. Sherman, " Analytics of literature: A manual for the objective study of English prose and poetry." Boston: Ginn & Co., 1893.
- R. F. Flesch, " The art of plain talk." New York: harper & Row., 1946.
- K. W. Houp, et al., "Reporting technical information." London: Oxford University Press., 2005.
- H-S. Kim, "Differences between Korean and Japanese Newspaper Articles : from the Perspective of Sentence Length." Journal of the Interpretation & Translation Institute, Vol. 10, No, 2, pp. 69-83, 2007.
- H-S. Shin, "study on newspaper sentence construction and paragraph composition : focusing on paragraph construction of columns and editorials of 4 major daily newspapers." Graduate School of Yonsei Univesity, 2007.
- G-S. Park, "Problem in writing and the length of sentence." Korean Studies Quarterly, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 3-14, 1984.
- J-S. Jang, "Character representation dictionary." Seoul: Sentence Studies, 1983.
- S-B. Oh, "Media sentence strengthening." Seoul: Sahmyook Publication, 1972.
- Y-Y Yoon, K-H Kim, "Validation of the Korean Version of Brief Multidimensional Measure of Religiousness/Spirituality Scale", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 257-274, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.257