- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Biocidal Effects of Chlorine Dioxide on Isolated and Identified Pathogens from Nosocomial Environment - Biochemical and Technical Covergence
병원내 환경으로부터 분리 및 확인된 병원균에 대한 이산화염소의 살균 효과 - 생화학 및 기술 융합
- Song, Kyoung-Ju (Purgofarm Co. Ltd) ;
- Jung, Suk-Yul (Molecular Diagnostics Research Institute, Dept. of Biomedical Laboratory Science, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2017.05.01
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
In this study, microorganisms were isolated from nosocomial environment and are identified by biochemical analysis as the part of biochemical and technical convergence. Microorganisms were collected at intense care unit of general hospital located in Pyeongtak (2014.11.28. - 2014. 11. 30). Using a VITEK2 equipment of biochemical approaches, eleven microorganisms e.g., Micrococcus luteus (or M. lylae), Granulicatella adiacens (M. luteus or M. lylae), Staphylococcus caprae, Sphingomonas paucimobilis, Kocuria kristinae, G elegans, Aerococcus viridans (or Staphylococcus arlettae), Methylobacterium spp., Dermacoccus nishinomiyaensis (or Kytococcus sedentarius), Kocuria kristinae (or M. luteus, M. lylae), Pseudomonas oryzihabitans were identified. And then identified bacteria plates were applied with a plastic stick, so called with "FarmeTok (medistick/Puristic) to produce ClO2. ClO2-releasing plastic stick showed the very strong inhibition of bacterial growth with about 99.9%. There were no bacterial colonies on the ClO2-incubated plate. Taken together, it is suggested that chlorine dioxide should be very strong inhibitor to microorganisms of nosocomial infections.
Chlorine dioxide;Nosocomial environment;Pathogen;Biochemical test;Colony
Supported by : Namseoul University
- H. Vogt, J. Balej, J. E. Bennett, P. Wintzer, S. A. Sheikh, P. Gallone, S. Vasudevan, K. Pelin, Chlorine oxides and chlorine oxygen acids, Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley-VCH, 2010.
- L. O. Brockway, "The three-electron bond in chlorine dioxide", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 303-307, 1933. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.19.3.303
- R. Flesch, J. Plenge, E. Ruhl, "Core-level excitation and fragmentation of chlorine dioxide", Int. J. Mass Spectrometry, Vol. 249-250, pp. 68-76, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijms.2005.12.046
- T. Sanekata, F. Fukuda, T. Miura, H. Morino, C. Lee, K. Maeda, K. Araki, T. Otake, T. Kawahata, T. Shibata, "Evaluation of the antiviral activity of chlorine dioxide and sodium hypochlorite against feline calicivirus, human influenza virus, measles virus, canine distemper virus, human herpesvirus, human adenovirus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus", Biocontrol. Science, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 45-49, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4265/bio.15.45
- N. Ogata, T. Shibata, "Protective effect of low-concentration chlorine dioxide gas against influenza a virus infection", J. Gen. Virology, Vol. 89, No. 1, pp. 60-67, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.83393-0
- H. Morino, T. Fukuda, T. Miura, C. Lee, T. Shibata, T. Sanekata, "Inactivation of feline calicivirus, a norovirus surrogate, by chlorine dioxide gas", Biocontrol. Science, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 147-153, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4265/bio.14.147
- J. W. Ma, B. S. Huang, C. W. Hsu, C. W. Peng, M. L. Cheng, J. Y. Kao, T. D. Way, H. C. Yin, S. S. Wang, "Efficacy and Safety Evaluation of a Chlorine Dioxide Solution", Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 329, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14030329
- I. Ofori, S. Maddila, J. Lin, S. B. Jonnalagadda, "Chlorine dioxide oxidation of Escherichia coli in water - A study of the disinfection kinetics and mechanism", J. Environ. Sci. Health. A. Tox. Hazard. Subst. Environ. England, Vol. 1-9, 2017. [Epub ahead of print].
- J. H. Kang, K. B. Song, "Combined treatment on the inactivation of naturally existing bacteria and Escherichia coli O157:H7 inoculated on fresh-cut Kale", J. Microbiol. Biotechnology, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 219-225, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1607.07029
- R. Nogueira, K. U. Utecht, M. Exner, W. Verstraete, K. H. Rosenwinkel. "Strategies for the reduction of Legionella in biological treatment systems", Water. Sci. Technology, Vol. 74, No. 4, pp. 816-823, 2016. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2016.258
- A. S. Breathnach, "Nosocomial infections", Medicine, Vol. 37, No. 10, pp. 557-561, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mpmed.2009.07.008
- S. Y. Jeong, O. S. Kim, J. Y. Lee, "The status of Healthcare-associated Infection Control among Healthcare Facilities in Korea" J. Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 353-366, 2014.
- S. W. Jeung, C. H. Lim, I. G. You, "A Study on the Measurement of Bacterial Contamination of MRI Examination Equipment and Disinfection Conditions", J. Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp. 665-672, 2013.
- C. W. Seo, Y. B. Yu, K. S. Shin, Y. K. Kim, "Distribution of Yeast Isolated from Clinical Specimens at a University Hospital in last Five Years, J. Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 237-244, 2014.
- P. K. Shin, "A convergence study the association between addictive smart phone use, dry eye syndrome, upper extremity pain and depression among college students', J. Korea Converg. Soc., Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 61-69, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.1.061
- J. J. Lowe, S. G. Gibbs, P. C. Iwen, P. W. Smith, A. L. Hewlett, "Impact of Chlorine Dioxide Gas Sterilization on Nosocomial Organism Viability in a Hospital Room", Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 2596-2605, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph10062596
- K. S. Yao, Y. H. Hsieh, Y. J. Chang, C. Y. Chang, T. C. Cheng, H. L. Liao, "Inactivation effect of chlorine dioxide on phytophathogenic bacteria in irrigatin water", J. Environ. Eng. Management, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 157-160, 2010.
- X. W. Wang, J. S. Li, M. Jin, B. Zhen, Q. X. Kong, N. Song, W. J. Xiao, J. Yin, W. Wei, G. J. Wang, B. Y. Si, B. Z. Guo, C. Liu, G. R. Ou, M. N. Wang, T. Y. Fang, F. H. Chao, J. W. Li, "Study on the resistance of severe acute respiratory syndrome-associated coronavirus", J. Virol. Methods, Vol. 126, No. 1-2, pp. 171-177, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jviromet.2005.02.005
- C. Chen, X. J. Zhang, Y. Wang, L. X. Zhu, J. Liu, "Waste water disinfection during SARS epidemic for microbiological and toxicological control", Biomed. Environ. Science, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 173-178, 2006.
- K. M. Yang, "The effect of self-esteemand depression on smartphone addiction among university students", J. Korea Converg. Soc., Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 113-123, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.113
- J. L. Cui, M. H. Chey, S. I. Kim, "Seismic performance of urban structures with various horizontal irregularities using equivalent static analysis", J. IT Converg. Soc. SMB, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 25-32, 2016.
- H. J. Oh, H. Y. Doo, S. H. Sim, S. M. Choi, S. J. Oh, "The Study of tear film stability for normal eyes in adults", J. IT Converg. Soc. SMB, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 93-98, 2016. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2016.6.4.093