- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A study on Convergence Factors Related with Academic Burnout of Students in Health Majors in Studying for TOEIC
보건계열 일부 대학생의 토익학습의 학업소진 영향과 관련된 융복합적 요인 연구
- Hong, Soomi (Dept. of English Language and Literature, Jeonju University) ;
- Kim, Seung-Hee (Dept. of Health Administration, Vision University of Jeonju) ;
- Bae, Sang-Yun (Dept. of Health Administration, Vision University of Jeonju)
- Received : 2017.04.25
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study was carried out to examine the converging factors related to academic burnout in students from health-related majors who are involved in studying for the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC). Research subjects included 291 randomly selected students from the J-region, who were enrolled in TOEIC classes. Data collection took place from April 3, 2017 to April 14, 2017, using anonymous self-administered questionnaires. The results of a multiple regression analysis in female students showed higher academic burnout pertaining to studying for the TOEIC when sleeping hours, self-worth, self-efficacy, school adaptation resilience, and study immersion were low, and job-seeking stress and test anxiety were high. The explanatory power of this model was 65%. Based on these results, to reduce academic burnout pertaining to studying for the TOEIC in health majors, it is first necessary to increase sleeping hours, self-worth, self-efficacy, school adaptation resilience, and study immersion, and to make efforts to manage self-competence, job-seeking stress, and test anxiety. The results of this study may be used to decrease the academic burnout caused by studying for the TOEIC in health major students and to increase their aptitude for studying English, to cultivate globalized capabilities. Future studies need to conduct an effect analysis on the control and mediation effect that these factors have on academic burnout.
Convergence factors;Studying for the TOEIC;School adaptation resilience;Test anxiety;Study immersion;Academic burnout
- K. I. Hwang, I. H. Lee, H. S. Rhee, "The influence on metropolitan university hospital administrative staff job satisfaction", The J of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 639-648, 2014.
- K. N. Jin, "Global medical tourism coordinator: current situation and future vision", Korea J of Hospital Management, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 1-14, 2013.
- S. J. Lee, "A study on the medical tourism and activation: with focus on medical communication", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12. No. 3, pp. 391-397, 2014.
- S. Y. Bae, S. H. Kim, "Analysis of convergent influence of positive emotion, negative emotion and job seeking stress on depression among college women of health affiliated educations", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14. No. 3, pp. 269-278, 2016.
- K. I. Shin, "The effects of TOEIC teaching as a compulsory course in a college", Linguistics Studies, No. 24, pp. 125-137, 2012.
- DOI: http://magazine.kcue.or.kr/index.htm/TOEIC. 2014.03.04
- YBM/Korea, "Essential competitiveness for job success. TOEIC & TOEIC Speaking", TOEIC Committee Newsletter No. 81", 2014.
- K. H. Chun, "Relationship between academic burnout of medical and graduate students and related variables", Korean Medical Education Review, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 77-87, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17496/kmer.2014.16.2.077
- W. B. Schaufeli, I. M. Martínez, A. M. Pinto, M. Salanova, A. Bakker, "Burnout and engagement in university students: A cross-national study", J of Cross-Cultural Psychology, Vol. 33, pp. 464-481, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022102033005003
- H. Shin, A. Puig, J. Lee, J. H. Lee, S. M. Lee, "Cultural validation of the maslach burnout inventory for korean students", Asia Pacific Education Review, Vol. 12, pp. 633-639, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12564-011-9164-y
- S. U. Yoon, Y. S. Kwon, "Relationship between test anxiety and self-esteem in partial health related department convergence College students, J of the Korea Convergence Society Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 91-98, 2015.
- H. S. You, Y. K. Yang, "The influence of self-resilience and academic self-concept on test anxiety in undergraduates", J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 275-282, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.275
- M. S. Kim, S. Y. Yun, W. S. Lee, "Factors influencing flow state of cooperative learning among nursing students: in convergence era", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13. No. 10, pp. 397-403, 2015.
- H. L. Roh, M. N. Choi, W. S. Lee, "A study about the convergent effects of team interaction and team metacognition affecting a continuous participation in learning community of university", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14. No. 4, pp. 69-78, 2016.
- C. S. Lee, H. R. Son, H. Y. Jang, W. S. Lee, "Effects of Self-esteem, Aggression and Violence Recognition on the Academic Achievement of Adolescents", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14. No. 7, pp. 29-36, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.29
- H. G. Baek, P. S. Kim, T. H. Ha, "Study on the effective factors of learning motivation and achievement of the digital textbook using a structural equation model", The J of digital policy & management, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 123-135, 2008.
- S. J. Kang, E. J. Kim, H. J. Shin, "Convergence study about problem-based learing and self-directed learning ability, problem solving skills, academic self-efficacy, motivation toward learning of nursing students", J of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 33-41, 2016.
- O. Choi, W. S. Lee, "Mediating effects of self-efficacy in the relationships between academic burnout and school adjustment on middle school students", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12. No. 9, pp. 455-463, 2014.
- Y. J. Choi, "Stress, suicidal ideation, and protective factors in college students", National Youth Policy Institute, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 77-104, 2012.
- H. J. Kim, Y. R. Kang, "The relationship between job seeking stress and career maturity of dance majoring students", Korean J of Dance Education, Vol. 8, No 2, pp 57-84, 2008.
- Hyun Sun Park, "The school resilience of Korean adolescents in poverty", Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, 1998.
- J. Y. Yang, "The mediating affects of self determination motiviation in the relation between university", Master Thesis, Pusan National University, 2015.
- M. S. Chae, "Multiple mediated effects of test anxiety and depression in the relation between socially-prescribed perfectionism and academic burnout, Doctoral dissertation, Chonnam National University, 2016.
- E. Y. Lee, S. H. Kim, "Effect of professor trust and learning flow among allied health students", JKSDH, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 643-649, 2016.
- S. Y. Lee, Y. J. Kang, "Influence of instructor trust on learning flow and academic achievement in dental hygiene students", JKSDH, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 687-693, 2016.
- F. Faul and E. Erdfelder, A. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences," Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- M. Rosenberg, "Society and the adolescent self-image. NJ: Princeton University Press", pp. 46-68, 1965.
- B. J. Jon, "Self-esteem: A test of its measurability", Yonsei Journal, Vol. 11, pp. 107-129. 1974.
- L. P. Hemandez, "The role of protective factors in the school resilience of Mexcican American high school students", Doctoral dissertation, Stanford University, 1993.
- R. M. Tipton, E. L. Worthington, "The measurement of generalized self-efficacy: A study of construct validity", J of Personality Assessment, Vol. 48, pp. 545-548, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4805_14
- S. M. Yang, "The development and effectiveness of group program on empowerment for the parents with mentally retarded adults", Seoul National University, Doctoral Dissertation, 2000.
- R. D. Conger, G. H. Jr. Elder, F. O. Lorenz, K. J. Conger, Simons, R. L., Whibeck, L.B., Huck, S., & Melby, J. N. 1990. "Linking economic hardship to marital quality and instability." Journal of Marriage and the Family 52: 643-656. https://doi.org/10.2307/352931
- S. H. Oh, "A study Determinants of adolescents' adaptation in low income broken family", Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, 2001.
- A. S. Masten and J. D. Coastworth, "The development of competence in favorable and unfavorable environment: Lessons from research on successful children", American Psychologist, Vol. 53. pp. 205-221, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.53.2.205
- R. Karasek, C. Brisson. "The job content questionnaire(JCQ): An instrument for internationally comparative assessments of psychosocial job characteristics", J of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 322-355, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89184.108.40.2062
- Y. B. Lee, S. M. Lee, J. Y. Lee, "Development of korean academic burnout scale", The Korea Educational Review, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 59-78, 2009.
- J. Benson, N. El‐Zahhar "Further refinement and validation of the revised test anxiety scale. structural equation modeling", A Multidisciplinary J, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 203-221, 1994.
- Y. R. Cho, "The role of metacognition in test anxiety above and beyond depression, perfectionistic concerns over mistakes, study skills, and academic self-efficacy", Korean J of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 709-727, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2008.27.3.008
- M. Csikszentmihalyi, "Creativity: flow and the psychology of discovery and invention(1st ed.), NY: Harper-Collins Publishers", 1996.
- A. Y. Kim, H. Y. Tack, C. H. Lee, "The development and validation of a learning flow scale for adults", KJEP, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 33-39, 2010.
- S. H. Kim, S. Y. Han, J. D. Kim, S. M. Choi, S. J. Lee, J. H. Lim, H. Chae, "Study on stress and burnout in medical education at the school of korean medicine", J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 103-116, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2015.26.2.103
- H. S. Park, "A Study on the foreign accent of english stressed syllables," J of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 51-57, 2016. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2016.6.4.051
- J. I. Yi, J. S. Han, "A study on developing a learning material screening system for improving foreign language learning efficiency," J of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 87-92, 2017.
- J. T. Kim, "The development and validation of a mobile-based english speaking test convergence model", J of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 2, pp. 25-31, 2016.
- Y. Y. Kim, "A study on smartphone use by korean adult ELT learners", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12. No. 4, pp. 21-32, 2014.