- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Asthma Worsening factors of Adolescent Asthma Patients in Korea -Associated with Intake of Antioxidant Food-
청소년 천식 환자의 천식 악화의 영향 요인 -항산화식이 섭취와 관련하여-
- Park, In Sook (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yun, Hee Kyung (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2017.04.18
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the association between antioxidant food intake pattern and asthma control status in Korean adolescents. This study was conducted using data from 1,578 patients diagnosed with asthma among the participants in the 11th online health behavior survey. Statistical analyses were performed for sociodemographic variables, known risk factors for asthma worsening, and all variables which were related to food intake pattern. For final decision, logistic regression analysis was used to estimate the associations between antioxidant food intake and asthma worsening. Male gender and smoking experiences were associated with asthma exacerbation. Low intake of antioxidant foods status also significantly increased asthma exacerbations. Antioxidant food intake and smoking prevention education is important for adolescent asthma patients. It is highly needed to recommend taking fruits and vegetables properly.
Asthma;Asthma worsening;Adolescent;Anti-oxidant;Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey
Supported by : Chungnam National University
- National Asthma Education and Prevention Program: Expert panel report III: Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, MD: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, 2007.
- Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention, Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA). www.ginasthma.org (Accessed on January 30, 2015).
- Bousquet JKN. Global surveillance, prevention and control of Chronic Respiratory Diseases. A comprehensive approach, 2015.
- Y. H. Lee , S. J. Yoon, E. J. Kim, Y. A. Kim, H. Y. Seo, I. H. Oh. "Economic burden of asthma in Korea." Allergy Asthma Proc, Vol. 32, pp. 35-40, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2500/aap.2011.32.3479
- Organization WH. Global surveillance, prevention and control of chronic respiratory diseases. The Global Alliance against Chronic Respiratory Diseases 2007.
- M. Masoli, D. Fabian, S. Holt, R. Beasley. "The global burden of asthma: executive summary of the GINA Dissemination Committee report." Allergy, Vol. 59, pp. 469-78, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2004.00526.x
- The Korean Academy of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases. Korean asthma guideline. https://www.lungkorea.org/thesis/file/asthma_2014
- British Guideline on the Management of Asthma. https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/guidelines-and-quality-standards/asthma-guideline
- H. S. Park, G. S. Choi, J. S. Cho, Y. Y. Kim. "Epidemiology and current status of allergic rhinitis, asthma, and associated allergic diseases in Korea": ARIA Asia-Pacific workshop report. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol, Vol . 27, pp. 167-71, 2009.
- The Korean academy of asthma, allergy and clinical immunology. Korean guideline for asthma. http://www.allergy.or.kr/file/150527_01.pdf
- C. P. Schayck, H. A. Smit, "The prevalence of asthma in children: a reversing trend." European Respiratory Journal, Vol. 26, pp. 647-650, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.05.00019805
- A. Seaton, A. Soutar, J. Mullins. "The increase in hay fever: pollen, particulate matter and SO2 in ambient air." QJM. Vol. 89, No. 4, pp. 279-84, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/89.4.279
- D. G. Park. Antioxidant compounds and activities in foods. Bulletin of food technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 115-118, 1995.
- G. Devereux, A. Seaton, "Diet as a risk factor for atopy and asthma" J Allergy Clin Immunol, Vol. 115, pp. 1109-17, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2004.12.1139
- F. Forastiere, R. Pistelli, P. Sestini, C. Fortes, E, Renzoni, F. Rusconi, et al. "Consumption of fresh fruit rich in vitamin C and wheezing symptoms in children." Thorax, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 283-8, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1136/thorax.55.4.283
- Centers for disease control & prevention. 11th survey of youth health behavior online survey, 2015.
- 2012 Korean Obesity Society Guideline. Korean Journal of Obesity, Vol. 23, pp.217-221.
- M. S. Park, J. H. Leem, H. C. Kim, D. K. Lamichhane, S. Y. Oh, M. Ha, H. J. Kwon, "The effects of dietary antioxidants intake and exposure to traffic-related air pollution on asthma in school children." Korean Society of Environmental Health and Toxicology, Vol. 10, pp. 666-667, 2013.
- Y. J. Lee, "Daily Smoking Girls' Tobacco Use, Health Behaviors and Family Factors : Analysis of 2015 Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, pp.377-384, 2016.
- B. J. Apelberg, C. G. Corey, A. C. Hoffman, "Symptoms of tobacco dependence among middle and high school tobacco users: results from the 2012 National Youth Tobacco survey." Am J Prev Med, Vol. 45, pp. S4, 2014
- Y. M. Cho, M. Y. Woo, "Affecting Nicotine Dependence of Social Psychological Variables in Smoking middle school" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, pp.295-303, 2016.
- S. Y. Lee. S. J. Hong, B. S. Kim, C. K. Kim, D. J. Lee, D. K. Lee, Y. Y. Koh, J. S. Lee, "The association between recent dietary patten as a risk factor of 12-month asthma symptom prevalence in korean elementary school children." Allergy Asthma & Respiratory Disease, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 296-305, 2006.
- Y. S. Park, J. H. Song, S. I. Won, "Recognition of Atopic Dermatitis, Asthma and the Smack Intake Status among Middle School Students in Seoul" The East Asian Economic Association, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 485-498, 2011.
- H. J. Jeong, "Effects of a self-care program for Asthma patients : A Pilot Study" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, pp.437-443, 2016.